1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Corsair Hydro Series H80, H100 CPU Coolers Officially Released

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, May 25, 2011.

1. jtir

jtir Member

• H80 Radiator Dimensions: 120mm x 152mm x 38mm = 69.312 cm^3
    • H100 Radiator Dimensions: 122mm x 275mm x 27mm = 90.585 cm^3

Not sure if the H100 larger size (120x2) is worth the increase in cooling capacity - approximately 30% larger than H80 (120 x1)

2. shadowman

shadowman Member

Just seen on the tracking its onboard for delivery, just a tad over two weeks....even though the books my partner ordered last week got here first. Strange.

3. dinos22

dinos22 Member

it just means you can run slower fans = less noise

4. Giscinc

Giscinc Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. doodz

doodz Member

Level 1 is ok, Level 2 and 3 makes the fans very noisy!
    But I just keep it at Level 1. works well.

6. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

Hey guys,

Just bought my H100 yesterday and want to run a push and pull setup. What are some good fans that push a sufficient amount of air but still not make a shitload of noise.

I dont mind noise as long as its not some high pitched whining sound in my ear lol. Id like to get the noctuas but they look so damn ugly in my obsidian 800d. Id like something that would fit well with the case. What are most of you guys using?

Cheers,

7. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

Get Gentle Typhoons :thumbup:

8. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

I have 4 of them but I hate the fact they have different colored wires going into the H100 pump. I want to leave everything black lol.

I cant anywhere I can buy those Noiseblocker fans, as they seem pretty popular with H100 on the Corsair forum.

I was on the corsair forum and it is pretty much confirmed that Corsair are going to be releasing the H100 fans to buy for push and pull setup.

9. Hellbent

Hellbent Member

:thumbup:
    Definately go GTs. I bought 3 x H100 and I couldn't be happier when I replaced all stock fans with GTs. 1st H100 is on a 980x in an 800D in push pull. Haven't started to o/c yet so running at default clocks and I idle in the low to mid 20s and any game I have thrown at it - Cyrsis 2, Metro 2033 etc it hasn't gone over 33c. I game @ 2560 x 1600 with 580s in Sli. Ambient temps are low at the moment (20c) ...come on summer.

The 2nd rig is a H100 on 2600k housed in a 650D is push with 6970s in crossfire and it is slightly higher temps...mid to high 20s idle and mid 30s during gaming.

The 3rd rig is a work one and it is a 2500k in a coolermaster cosmos 1000 in push. The temps are the highest of all mid 30s idle but I don't cre too much as this rig isn't stressed a hell of a lot. I haven't seen it go over 45c.

The H100s are set to medium and I don't care too much about the wooshing of air because I can't hear it when I game - Logitech Z5500s - unless I mute.:tongue:

I know many here probably don't care for an inferior closed loop watercooling solution to the normal loop configs...but I just don't have the time these days to maintain them as I have a young family.There for it is ideal for me:thumbup:

I will stress them all under prime later but there are many people with those numbers already.

10. shadowman

shadowman Member

Results are in.

Previously running a Hyper 212+ with single fan, now running a H80 as intake, push-pull. 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 1.334V. Load is folding, so my typical 24/7 temps.

Before:

Click to view full size!

After:

Click to view full size!

6 degrees difference on the hottest core, 3 degrees on the coolest. I might try and start pushing up the MHz some more now.

Also considering swapping out the stock fans and putting my GTs on there.

Anyone get any better temps with GTs on?

11. Lynch

Lynch Member

i have noiseblockers atm on a h70, running full speed 1400rpms and i don't even hear them over the rest of my 140mm case fans running at 1200rpm

12. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

Where did you get them from mate?

13. shadowman

shadowman Member

Just put my GT AP-15 on in push-pull.

The good? Another 7 degrees cooler at full RPM. The bad? They are quite loud. I've got them on a fan controller, but might have to look at investing in some noiseblocker 1400rpm ones for the rad.

/edit turned them all the way down (about 900rpm I believe) and they are silent, and only 1 degree warmer than the stock fans.

Any recommendations for some silent fans to use that will give me at least the same performance as the stock fans? Was considering the Scythe S-Flex 800rpm.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  14. Tomee

Tomee Member

whats the noise like on teh H80?

loud?

15. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

I've been doing some research recently and I must be missing something wrt these coolers.

From the Tweaktown review of the H80:

Idle -
    H80 - 48C (high); 48.8(med); 45dBa (low)
    NZXT Havik140 - 48.8C @ 26dBa

Load -
    H80 - 51.9C @ 71dBa (high); 52.7C @ 64dBa
    NZXT Havik140 - 51.9C @ 32dBa

Either I'm missing something, or the H80 gets spanked by the air cooler....

16. Sol_Invictus

Sol_Invictus (Banned or Deleted)

Not really, I can't hear it over the 6990 at idle. When gaming the 6990 is always louder.

17. shadowman

shadowman Member

Noise on the H80 on the low profile is fairly quiet, I can *just* here it when it's idling, in my study with the house silent. Balance and Performance profiles are another story.

The NZXT cooler is a fairly new kid on the block.

Yes, the H80 is beaten by it. Yes the H80 is not going to beat every cooler.

But the Havik also suffers the same as most other air coolers, it’s a huge chunk of metal hanging off your motherboard. Are you comfortable with that? It’s upto you. But it does indeed look like a pretty good cooler, especially for the price. If I had to choose between the current Noctua FOTM cooler and the Havik, I’d go the Havik for sure.

18. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Ok, so for an extra $70, you can have a lighter/noisier CPU cooler in the H80? I don't want to bash it, I'm just trying to get the best value for money. It seems the Tweaktown reviewer really liked it, but I'm just not seeing the value.

19. Linkin

Linkin Member

Does anyone know the room temperature that TT tests at? Their idle temps seem high (or they have power saving features disabled)

20. shadowman

shadowman Member

The review doesn’t seem to state what speed the NZXT fan runs at (excuse me if I’ve missed it). I assume it’s PWM. The fact that isn’t stated isn’t much of an issue, but due to being a 140mm fan I’d assume fairly quiet.

I also believe the testing methodology is dated. They use a simulated Opteron 940. Most other reviews these days are using S1366 processors or S1155 processors. The former run fairly hot when overclocked, the latter somewhat less hot than S1366, but moreso than an Opteron 940.

The issue with heatpipe HSF is getting the heat away from the heatsink quick enough. With my 2600k @ 5.1GHz (my max OC), running on a Hyper 212+ (after mounting several times) the very tops of the heatpipes aren’t even hot…let alone the fins, whereas with the H80 you can feel that the rad is warm (and the CPU is pushing 85 degrees on the 212+). This is evident as most people with high overclocks choose water over air, as water can move more heat than a heatpipe. So there is a point at which heatpipes fail to take away enough heat…and that’s where I think the review is a tad biased.

This is why I reckon that albeit the Havik is fairly quiet, it’s probably not trying to pump a lot of heat. The load tests are fairly low. 51 degrees on a H80 is low. A typical 4.5GHz 2600k on full load (Intel Burn Test/Prime) is going to be pushing 65 degrees on a H80. 15 degree temperature difference.

Checkout this review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NZXT-HAVIK-140-CPU-Cooler-Review/1312/6

The results for the Havik are 55 degrees @ 49 dBA, ambient 16 degrees.

Then this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-H80-CPU-Cooler-Review/1371/6

The H80 @ full speed is 47 degrees @ 52 dBA, ambient 14 degrees.

I’d trust these results a bit more. 39 degrees delta vs. 33 degrees delta, with a 3dBA noise difference. Now if only they had results for both of them with low fan speed at load.

Not trying to bash the NZXT cooler, heck I’d be choosing it if I was after an air cooler or running an open box, but also need to take some H80 comparative results :)