1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Corsair Hydro X in Lian Li Dynamic XL

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Will S, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Said hell with cost factor as I can go with Bread and Water ( also help to remove some kg's) and ordered a Hydro X soft tubing with 2 x 360 rads . And since I already had Commander pro and fans decided to keep the RGB controlled (or uncontrolled ) by iCue

Ok wont have rad at bottom as I am getting a riser card and bracket...so maybe just 2 fans down intaking there and have rad on the front/right with 3 fans blowing through into the case and have the other rad at the top exhausting

[​IMG]

Anyway ordered all the soft tubing and connectors for soft tubing from PCCG as Scorptec only has hardline . And as PCCG was out of the 54mm rad and the OCAU discount saved a few dollars will get it all there

One thing I did miss out on was the Hydro Series Fan Y-Header Cable (Hydro Series™ H75 H105 Fan Y-Header Cable). No idea if I need it or what its for

Its basically a Corsair Build with "green been I already have and blue been damage to my credit card

AMD Ryzen 3900x
    Zotac 2080ti Amp Edition
    Aorus X570 Master
    Lian Li 011 Black Dynamic
    Noctua 120mm fans

Corsair Parts
    Hydro X Series XT SL 10/13mm PVC Tubing 3m
    Hydro X Series XF AF 45 Deg Rot.Fitting G1/4
    Hydro X Series XF SL 10/13mm Comp Fittings
    Hydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block
    Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 20-series GPU Water Block (2080 Ti FE)
    Hydro X Series XR5 360 Radiator
    Hydro X Series XR7 360 Radiator
    Hydro X XD5 RGB Reservoir/Pump Combo
    Hydro X Series Fitting G1/4 90 Degree Adapter
    Hydro X Series Fitting G1/4 Y-Splitter Rotary Adapter
    Hydro X Series Fitting G1/4 Shut-Off Ball Valve Adapter
    Commander PRO Link System and RGB Fan LED Hub
    HD120 Fans

HX 1000i PSU

and all fittings are black, already have a Commander Pro but will leave it in its current case with the HD 120mm fans init ( along with the HD140's )...its my backup system with this build been used for mainly racing sims like iRacing and DOOM eternal when it gets here

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Bolter01 likes this.
  2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Why not just make one build-log style thread instead of a new thread every time you do something?

A "Fan Y-Header Cable" is exactly what it sounds like, a splitter for plugging two fans in to the one port.

3. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well the others were asking specific questions and figuring out what I was going to do..........I guess this will be the build log style but lets face it, I could fire a gun in these forums these days and miss everyone...ocau isnt what it used to be

Its strange that with 6 fans its only one splitter so I thought maybe it was for something else

4. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

ok..am getting some help in another thread as worried about will the GPU block fit........you tend to panic when they cost so much ie. 2080ti

anyway this is the strip down.........am going to put in in the original anti static bag but still have one doubt and that is where the red line is........but it looks like it fits

[​IMG]

so what have I learned...well ask questions and if its a specific question "create a new thread" as many wont look in a build thread

the LR22 and LR 47 inductors stick above the rest but the car has recess in both sides so they should fit

5. Pazzu

Pazzu Member

You're not wrong. Most people look into build threads for viewing pleasure of how a build starts from scratch to finish.

To help you get help, its always better to get photos and or diagrams. We're lazy by nature :thumbup:

6. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Apart from the pads shown on the block, you dont need any additional pads. Some components dont need the cooling.

In fact if you add unnecessary thermal pads, it might affect the mating of flat surfaces and warp the PCB.

7. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

yes.....have learnt that

anyway, getting the lian li 011 ready and removing the mounting brackets and backplate the the CPU ...its strange that the current back plate can't be used, anyway found a slight fault with the lian li 011 and the new AMD4 socket...the hole in the back tray isnt large enough to get the plate off, well its large enough but about 1cm to high...had to undo the mobos mounting screws to get the bloody thing off

[​IMG]

So now everything is ready to go...hopefully on Monday will get the Hydro x gpu mount

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well 2 lots arrived today but the tubing and fittings didnt and they were the first ordered........

anyway have installed the GPU and CPU mounts and have figured out now were everything will go

The rad in the pic will go at the side with the fans on the other side blowing in and the thinner 360 rad will go up the top exhausting.......that rad with have the 3 HD 120 RGB fans on the bottom of it ( the thick rad with have 3 Noctua 120mm NF-S12A PWM but not sure is they are right for rads ). So the loop will be Resovoir/Pump to GPU to CPU to thin 360 rad to thick 360 rad to res/pump..everything fits . And at the bottom of the case will have either 1 or 2 HD RGB fans blowing in

[​IMG]

edit.....wont work because the holes in the case dont line up with the rad with the input /output at the bottom and putting it flat in the bottom means no USB3 at the front and maybe no riser card

still the 55mm rad can just fit at the top if I can squeeze my power cables in the top corner...and use a couple of fittings to have the top right go across to the top of the 30mm rad but with have to put the connectors and tubing in first

that way it would be Resovoir out to GPU which would be out to 55mm rad at the top which would be with some fittings out to the 30 mm rad which would then drop straight down into the top of the resovoir

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Bolter01 likes this.
  9. Pazzu

Pazzu Member

Coming along nicely!

10. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

It's a little hard to get a good photo but here's what i ended up doing with similar radiator sizes - a 20mm extender + 90degree angled is just enough to clear the fan without without being long enough to cause clearance issues on the top radiator. I'm not totally happy with tube from CPU > radiator looping down under the ram but the alternative involved involved too many extenders/angles for my liking since it's super cramped.

[​IMG]

Bolter01 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

yes.....and the bad news is the ball valve handle broke, ...dont know how but am getting an EK replacement...will put me back another 2/3 days

[​IMG]

the lian li riser kit...blah......instructions yuk

12. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

wow, that was a lot more difficult then I thought...ended put the RGB on top of the rad and made a loop from the back rad ( 90 degree facing down from the 30 mm rad )and a gently bend of the plastic into the 55 mm rad

[​IMG]

Still deciding if to go riser card for GPU ...... and guess who forgot to order coolant, oh fark.....ok, will just run distilled water to test the loop and make sure everything is working then drain it ...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

and I made a water fill bottle...so once I find my power supply ( my place is haunted....things disappear then just appear )I connect the last bit and full it up with demineralised water ( been to 4 places and all they have is that ..a cheap mans distilled water)and run the bloody thing

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well the coffee bottle failed...water leaked over the floor but long enough tube so it wasnt neat the PC

anyway, not sure if I have the in/out for gpu correct .......run out of 90 degree angles so had to use a couple of 45's

[​IMG]

15. Pazzu

Pazzu Member

with the way the water channels are run towards the gpu cooling engine, it doesn't matter at all which way it is ran.

The styles that go from center outwards (ones with jet plates) have a minuscule difference with water flow direction. (Your's isn't)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

ok.....the online pdf doesnt really say ....but looking at the youtube vid they have it coming down from the cpu to that side

hopefully will get a couple of 90's tomorrow so the one from the pump to the gpu will be straight

17. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

What happens when your loop and all its power connectors dont use the CPU Fan Header? Is there an option in the BIOS to turn this requirement off? Or would it better just to put a fan onto it?

The system is a Commander Pro and Hydro XD 5 and the pump connects to number 7 on the Commander Pro but nothing to the motherboard. In AIO's you would connect a cable from the CPU block to the CPU fan header

From the manual for the Aorus X570 master

ok...just read the manual so it should be off by default and nothing to worry about......still have 3 Noctua Fans on the 30mm radiator and maybe connect one of these to the CPU Header?

18. juzz86

juzz86 Member

For your fills/top-ups - grab ~2ft of tube, bash a cheap funnel hard into one end and an old rotary fitting of some description into the other. Crack the spare port on top of the radiator for a breather, fit and pour :thumbup:

Yep, you'll have a BIOS option to disable CPU FAN alarms. Where I can, I usually run the pump RPM sensor back to that, but that's not always possible depending on pump and as long as you're monitoring your die temp somewhere, you'll know anyway.

Pazzu's got the rest on the block covered well :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well it fired up first time...still have to do some cable management and get icue installed...still think the pump is not working hard enough....no noise unless you put your ear next to it but its is showing 50C whilst I type this and it would be 28c in the room

Dont have any RGB on the GPU or CPU...going to have to check that out but everything else is like a xmas tree...I was really worried about the riser

20. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Not a good pic but getting RGB working for my cpu/gpu was crazy...ended up swapping lighting channels on the Commander Pro and everything works

going to hide those wires at the front and cable manage at the rear...you know that would be a good job for someone........."$30 an hour , minimum 2 hours and I will manage and tidy up your cables in your PC'"

[​IMG]

btw: fixed my fill bottle, bit of plastic and lots of duct tape and going to get rid of rainbow.....maybe a pure case from hell ie red

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Bolter01 and Agg like this.