Corsair HydroCool 200EX : Resurrecting for Socket775

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by BuzzPuppy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

A mate of mine about a year ago made the move to the USA, and for a while, his PC was kept in storage, gathering dust (3.0GHz s478 Pentium4 Prescott, Intel 875 chipset motherboard, 4x512MB Corsair XMS 3200, ATi 9800XT, Audigy4, etc) and doing the tour in different cupboards with different friends.

Earlier this year, I managed to barter an 8800GS graphics card for the entire PC from its former "custodian" after a message on good old facebook. Now, it wasn't the PC I was after, but the Corsair Hydrocool 200EX self-contained watercooling unit that came with it.

It only had 1/4" diameter tubing, but a damn good pump and 120mm fan/radiator combination. Here's a few reviews I've managed to dig up:

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/hydrocool200/Hydrocool200ex.htm
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2004/04/07/Corsair-HydroCool200EX-Water-Cooler/p1

I always had it in mind, to adapt it somehow to Socket775 since it was built for a Socket478 system. I also test a lot of hardware for work and for play (and for beer money from mates... mind you, that does add up to quite a few slabs) so the waterblock had to be easily swappable. I've almost worn out the stock mechanism for the intel HSF and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme was just time consuming to unscrew brackets on each occasion.

Moving onto the HSPC Top Deck Workstation from PCCaseGear, I also needed something to rapidly swap parts out on a frequent basis. Also, I got sick of having to unscrew motherboards from chassis to remove brackets and having things perched on old motherboard boxes wasn't quite cutting it anymore :D

These babies are five years old, yet still handle the heat output of the Q6600 I have here and also to put an E8300 through its paces. Then again, these kept those pesky P4 Prescotts under control :lol:

Gah, now where did I put those photos?

Ok, What I also had spare was a Thermalright Socket478-to-Socket775 adapter mounting bracket. Perfect for easy swaps, with the clips on the Corsair unit being thumb-clips. I figured it was time to test how it would all fit on my dead P5N-SLi board (don't worry, its end was in service to Team 24, Folding@Home for OCAU ;) ).

Click to view full size!

As you can see, the bracket interfered with the waterblock's Socket478 aluminium mounting plate, so that the waterblock would "hover" about half a centimetre above the CPU. Not an ideal situation

"Buzz, why don't you just dremel the plastic out of the way?"

Sure, no problem. It's just that the bracket attaches to the motherboard via a backplate. And the screws that hold this bracket together are affixed from behind into the plastic I was thinking of cutting away. If I cut away too much, I may lose the thread. Either that, or use shorter screws.

Right, where's that dremel?

Click to view full size!

*whiiiiiirrrrrrrrr*

Click to view full size!

As you can see, the modified bracket shows where the thread from the underside screws come through. The stock bracket is closeby for comparion. Damn my thumb is ugly.

Right, fitting it altogether on my test motherboard (with a blown Celeron E1200, which I still keep to show students/clients WHAT a Socket775 CPU looks like) and, as Borat would declare:

Click to view full size!

"Great Success!" :D:thumbup:

Click to view full size!

Quick thermal paste pressure/spread test. Hmm, I hadn't applied enough in one corner in this photo but after checking and re-affixing it, it's mounted securely.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. OP
    OP
    BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Well, it looks like I should have SEARCHED first *self-palms to face*.

eva2000 way back in 2006 modified his Corsair HydroCool 200EX with a Socket775 bracket left-over from a Thermaltake Big Typhoon over here.

Still, I do like being able to swap out CPUs on my Asus P5NE-SLi board (so I can drop in almost any CPU, from Celerons to Quads for testing and yes, the 650i chipset supports 45nm :thumbup:) to test and assess CPUs, DDR2 and PCI-E/PCI cards.

Final mounted pics to come.

Thanks for reading this, cheers!

3. Saiyan_Overlord

Saiyan_Overlord Member

I actually have a thermaltake 478 mounting bracket if you want it so you can do what eva2000 did if you'd like :).

4. OP
    OP
    BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Thanks for the offer... I've also got the waterblock bracket off a Thermaltake Aquarius II (long since dead). Probably the only useful thing about that kit!

This kit's now for-sale :)