Countdown to Win7 EOL - Jan 14, 2020

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by PabloEscobar, Jan 15, 2019.

?

How Far through a Windows 10 Migration Are you?

1. We've Been all Windows 10 For Years

39.7%
  2. Windows 7 - Planning to Update

20.7%
  3. Windows 7 - No Plans to Update

19.0%
  4. Still on Windows XP

8.6%
  5. 2019 - Year of Linux on the Desktop

5.2%
  6. Vista/8/8.1/Other

6.9%
  1. NSanity

NSanity Member

In before Pro SKU's are considered Non-commercial users.

#nerdrage.

2. choppa

choppa Member

Had ~14 users on Windows 7. I'm still using it as my daily driver for Engineering workstation apps. Have moved over 2 workstations to Windows 10 Pro, and 5 systems to Linux (2x Ubuntu, 3x Mint). By next year, I expect 13 on Linux, 2 on 10, and 1 on 7 permanently (i.e. forever).

3. RaZ

RaZ Member

I was just thinking as I saw this thread "I have migrated people from every version of windows"; apart from 3.11... oh wait no I did that too and NT. I am not 40 yet but damn I feel it lol EOL for Windows 7. Had to come anyway. :)

NSanity likes this.
  4. Groff

Groff Member

I know 3 people on XP
    2 on Vista
    a lot on 7.
    They all won't be changing anytime soon.
    Only 1 on XP I would say is justified due to newer Windows not supporting their programs.

5. bcann

bcann Member

Yep same same for me, and i'm 40 in August.

It annoys me that in the last company i worked for we migrated the last Win7 box over 4 years ago, now in this company i still got half the fleet and ZERO FUNDS to migrate it... can bet i'll still have Win7 on my network come next year.

RaZ likes this.
  6. power

power Member

most of the Win 7 machines i have got an SSD and a Windows upgrade. they run like a dream.

7. bcann

bcann Member

Nope all old (5+ years) and mechanical hdd's so the few that did have digital licenses that allowed an upgrade, have all added minutes to just boot up. but whatever its the business risk now not mine.

8. power

power Member

I like my users to have a good experience so put forward the SSD upgrades and then did Windows 10 as well. 5 yo PC is still excellent for regular daily tasks. CAD machines just got straight upgraded. It's also better for me to not have EOL OS in my fleet.

Total cost to upgrade workstations was 1*240gb SSD each.

Gunna likes this.
  9. koopz

koopz Member

still doing "other".

I busted tail distancing myself from other workers on previous projects following advice and successes from advisors who went down the linux trail.

Work ditched the win/OSx fanboys over time, though we found ourselves with more challenges.

Those of us who put in the hard yards were rewarded for our time and dedication.

I don't talk to any of my old peers anymore. It's tough in a way - a couple of them here on OCAU are family members.