Courier for Drumkit

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by johnd16, Apr 18, 2018.

1. johnd16

johnd16 Member

So I've just gone ahead and bought a Roland e-drumkit that needs to be sent from Adelaide to Sydney. Does anyone have some recommendations on companies to use?

Cheers,
    John

2. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Check in with local pack and sends, had some good rates from WA-SYD recently. Not sure what SA-SYD is like but i was told those directions are far cheaper than SYD-anywhere.

Otherwise hit up TNT, e-go/hunter express (if already boxed and ready).

3. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

Looking into Pack and Send right now, they seem to be the most helpful when talking to them over the phone. The kit isn't boxed. It's second-hand, but the shop has offered to package it. I guess its a question of how competent the shop is in packing the item vs the courier company... it's an expensive item.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I sent a vintage dinner set to a lady in Adelaide and it got there intact. The packing is included in the quote, so they don't just bung it in a box and hope for the best, they'll have put in the costs of the bubble wrap/double boxes/whatever. I've only the one thing to judge by but if anything will break in transit, it's old plates and they managed that ok.

5. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

Was this through Pack and Send?

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes. The lady organised it from her end. She paid them. All I did was take the dinner set up there.

7. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

Excellent. Thanks for this. This is sounding like the way to go.

8. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

You can generally get P&S to go pick up, pack it then ship it. They're usually pretty helpful and flexible if you want all or part of those three steps.

If it's a drum shop offering to pack it, they probably know best how to pack drums. Good luck either way.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, they can courier at either end if you need it. I took it up there, because there's a depot not far from my place (and it wasn't big or bulky where it was troublesome for me to move in my car).

10. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Does the shop not have an account with a courier company?

11. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

When I asked them about shipping, they said I had to organise a courier myself. It's coming from a second-hand store, not a music shop.

So the guys at the shop have packaged the kit down into two boxes. I've taken some online quotes from Pack and Send, TNT, StarTrack Express, and Toll. It's around $100 - $150 with insurance. I'll lock something in tomorrow, probably Pack and Send, just because I can talk to someone local and they seem very helpful over the phone.

Thanks everyone for your input!

12. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Happy drumming!

13. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Hopefully they've taken all the heads off and packaged the shells inside each other with foam padding to protect them, then put all the hardware in a separate, double strength, double taped box.

14. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

This is an e-drum kit. Is it recommended to remove the heads for transportation? I imagine that would expose the internals. They've put the stands and cables in one box. In the other box, all the pads and the drum module have been bubble wrapped.

Pack and Send are going to pickup the items, inspect the packaging, and let me know if it needs further protection.

15. alch

alch Member

haha, if I had of seen this earlier.. Mate just went from adl>syd and asked if anyone needed anything transported... Too bad hes already halfway there if not there already

16. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

I guess it would of eaten up lot of his cargo space, unless he has a big vehicle. This probably would have covered his fuel bill, but oh well.

17. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

whoops, totally missed that it was e-drums. Hardware in one box and pads, controller and cable in another would have been better, but it's done now.

18. OP
    OP
    johnd16

johnd16 Member

Late update, but here's the kit:
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any recommended resources for learning drums like youtube channels or websites, let me know. I had lessons about 15 years ago, but it's been a while.

Cheers,

John

19. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Hit the big thing with the smaller thing ;) Great to see :)

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

There's a fellow called Animal who is pretty good.... :D
    Seriously, good to see your kit arrived safely.