couscous encrusted salmon

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by TehCamel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

This is shamelessly stolen from Delia's Waitrose recipes things. But anyway.

Turns out I may not have taken as many photos as I thought/should have, but here we go.

Stuff you need
    2xsalmon pieces - skin off will save you some time and effort.
    150 gr cous cous
    200ml wine (dry, white)
    Saffron (we omitted this)
    grated lemon rind, about half a lemon (I used trhis instead of saffron)
    1 egg

What you do
    Take two pieces of Salmon. Ours were about 150grams each I think. Ideally you should get them the same thickness all the way through and stuff, but we just picked the best looking pre-packed stuff.
    Let them warm up a little bit when you're preparing to start.

Take your wine, put it in a saucepan. Warm it gently (do not boil!) then add the lemon zest. Once it's warm, take it off the heat, and put the cous cous in. Cover it, and let it soak up all the fluid.

Take your egg, beat it softly to create a bath. Once your couscous is ready:

Take the first bit of salmon, rinse it in the egg bath. Crust it with the couscous, and put it on a slightly oiled baking tray (we used foil with oil, recipe suggests baking paper) Repeat with the second one. Make sure they are nice and encrusted and all covered.

Click to view full size!

You'll notice in the above photo, you can see a tiny bit of the pink salmon on the "bottom" one - I subsequently packed a bit more onto it there.
    It goes in the oven at about 180 degrees - our two pieces took about 13 minutes. This will obviously fluctuate based on your oven and fish.

In the mean time, make the viniagrette if you so choose, or sort out some other side dishes to go with it.
    (I chose some wilted pre-pack saladf that I would have otherwise needed to have thrown out, with lemon juice on it.)

Once it's cooked, you'll see the couscous on the outside has gone sort of crunchy and crispy (and not the way it sounds bad actually!) and the salmon inside is all soft and fleshy and juicy still. Let it rest for a few minutes, then plate it up and eat away

Click to view full size!

Plated up, with my wilted salad:

Click to view full size!

And a closeup of the salmon:

Click to view full size!

Final notes
    Ignore my dodgy photos & dodgy side salad. This doesn't need a sauce or anything, as it's not at all dry. I'm not a huge fan of salmon, but really enjoyed this, and we're going to cook it again.

2. Adro85

Adro85 Member

I do love fish with a crust, although I've never tried with couscous. That's probably easier to manage than what I normally do, which is a crust of crushed macadamias and finely-grated parmesan cheese that I grind all together in a mortar and pestle.

Nice one! (Ignoring salad :p )

3. amsm

amsm Member

Made this the other night, using ocean trout. The fish came out beautifully ! The crunchy couscous crust was a nice texture as well.

One thing though was that the flavour of the crust didn't do a lot for me, I think it was missing something. I'll definitely try it again, but might do some experimenting with the crust to see if I can't get a more interesting flavour into it.

4. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

IMHO for the cous cous, if you want more flavour, you can use stocks, butter, oil, and your favorite herbs and spices to add extra flavor, im sure you could also add things such as ratatouille vegetables or various ingredents to spice up the crumb if need be

ill give this a go, never thought of using cous cous as a crumb before :)