1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

CPU Cooler broke what happens with CPU?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by peteed1985, May 14, 2022.

1. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

So Sunday night I was dragging discord from one screen to the other and dragging the window was lagging and I had no idea why. Monday I went out to run my D&D game and came home after midnight to loud chugging noises from the PC so this was after I was out for about 7ish hours and 7ish hours ago there was no chugging noise however I think it was having issues the night before and the lagging discord was from throttling because of heat. So yeah this could have been at 97c - 100c for 36ish hours.

The CPU is an i7-8700k CPU and a Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 cooler. The cooler is only 4 years old and has a 5 year warranty.

After getting a new cooler and bringing PC home the PC seems to freeze every now and again for like a 10 second period where it completely locks up. Would that mean the broken cooler damaged my CPU? If so does a warranty on a CPU cooler cover replacing the CPU or other damaged parts?

Also, I tried looking in event viewer right after the time when it locked up like that and there was no log of any errors at that time.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Anything we answer is going to be pure guessing, the most accurate way to test would be to swap CPU with another and see if the issue persists, but I assume you don't have one to test with?

3. Sven76

Sven76 Member

The CPU is supposed to slow and thermal throttle to avoid damage to the cpu - I finally got to work on a family members computer after they complained for 3 yrs that it would randomly freeze and lock up - the CPU cooler had been fitted backwards (they used to have a step on the stock cooler) and had never been in contact with the CPU - put new paste on and fitted cooler correctly computer worked fine after that.
    It is possible you have some file corruptions now and its just windows needing a fix.

However as stated above you need to troubleshoot - If you cant use another cpu if you have a spare hdd around do a fresh install of windows and see

4. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Afraid not :( I wish I was that rich haha.

My main question would be that if it was really a file corruption why does the event viewer show that there were 0 errors at the time? Like the last logs were 10 minutes before. Tbh i'm not really sure if hardware lockups or software lockups are things that would both stop a log from appearing since I guess a system fully locking up in either way would lockup the logging services too xD

Btw the first time I noticed the issue I was streaming an episode of an anime off crunchyroll and the 2nd and 3rd and 4th times I was DMing a D&D game on discord so was in a voice call. The anime episode made it almost seem to play a weird sound over and over for the 10 seconds while the discord was kinda like the sound stopped abruptly and then the system was frozen completely and then 10 seconds later it was fine. So yeah wondering if audio coming out of speakers is the common element but if it was a diver issue like that wouldn't it bluescreen or make a log file saying the audio driver had an issue?

5. Elmf

Elmf Member

Keep your task manager open and when you notice a slowness see what system resource peaked. Might be an errant process on the PC starting and stopping.

6. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Umm thank you for that suggestion it led to me working something out. The computer says I only have 16GB of Physical Memory and it's "Hard Faulting" aka using pagefile. I currently apparently have 33.3GB/38.9GB committed according to task manager.

So I currently have 16GB of Physical Memory yet I have 32GB of RAM so either the CPU cooler failing killed a RAM stick or the shop messed up when they were testing my system because they without asking me also tried to diagnose why my PC boots up again every time you shutdown. So maybe a stick of ram isn't pushed in properly or something.

7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Reseat your RAM and do a memtest

8. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Back to basics, back to 1 RAM stick, default settings, check all cables and make sure everything is seated and test. Unlikely the CPU is damaged and no warranty for the cooler would not cover any form of consequential loss. That's the first thing any contract in the history of the world writes in.

Elmf likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Yeah but afaik Australian law has things that contacts can't remove and it's where the things about that fall into.

Here's the part quoted from ACCC:

You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage.

Also since there was 32GB of ram before the shop did anything I'll be taking it back for them to fix lol. They either have my 2nd stick of ram there at the store or they messed it up so it's thier job to fix it.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  10. havabeer

havabeer Member

what are the cpu temps doing?

11. Elmf

Elmf Member

Good luck - you're better off approaching this with more realistic expectations and if you get a better result, then considering it a bonus win.
    It's also interesting that you're positioning yourself as capable of fixing other people's computers yet relying on a shop to fix your own, but that's a different discussion not for this thread.

To summarise where we're at:

- You have intermittent freezing after your AIO left your CPU nice and hot for too long, even though it's no longer a problem
    - All your RAM isn't showing up
    - We have provided the following advice for you to do:
    1. Reseat your RAM, do a memtest
    2. If still a problem, test with only 1 stick, in varying slots
    3. Do some of your own monitoring when it comes to active processes/utilization of CPU/MEM/GPU during your use cases and see if anything is spiking while you're getting freezes
    4. Check CPU temps during the freezes too

Now is the time to act :) Do the above and let us know how you go, or alternatively, take it back to the shop. But let's not go around in circles in the thread :D

12. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

I had a Nan/grandmother that didn't understand how computers work and when I needed help affording the computer when my old system broke by getting some inheritance money early (her home sold when she went into a nursing home) she made me promise not to open my computer myself. She was under the impression that you should buy a computer and only idiots buy parts and get a computer built from them -_- and yeah trying to explain how it actually works didn't work.

Even if what she thought isn't true I did make a promise which I'm honouring and she passed away last March too :( Normally I'd do my own adding of RAM or swapping of video cards and the like. Not really sure why but yeah I don't want to break the promise for some reason.

But yeah as well there's a warranty on their work and they cleaned the system as part of the job so fixing what they didn't get right would be a warranty issue. Hell, they might have my RAM stick floating around at the shop for all I know since the system is in an awkward place and I need to get it out to look into it to see if there are 2 RAM sticks inside, I'll look in when we are getting it out to go to the store.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  13. Elmf

Elmf Member

Fair enough mate, i'm not here to judge! Make sure you do the 'logical' troubleshooting that we mentioned above though. Going to the PC shop showing you've done some of your own research is always good (but don't insinuate to them how to do their jobs, that isn't good :D)

There's a reason I always clean my own car before taking it to a mechanics. You present them something nice and well cared for, it increases the likelihood of them taking you seriously and also they treat it with the same respect (at least this is my experience).

14. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Just sayin' you're going to take more care than some rando in the back of a shop.

15. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Bottom line mate if you have promised not to take the cover off then it's going back to the shop for repair and you at the mercy of them, any advice anyone can give you to fix it can't be acted upon with the cover on, simple as that. Most likely explanation is RAM has been knocked loose by the tech.

What is on the ACCC isn't really worth anything much. You would need to send the cooler back and have it confirmed to be faulty/replaced. You then need to prove that the failure has resulted in damage to a specific component (which hasn't been narrowed down) and when you do is likely out of warranty itself and could be argued is beyond it's design life. Everyone tosses around quotes from the ACCC and talks of the ombudsman but I don't know anyone who elevated a case to get a RAM stick.

Elmf likes this.