1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

cpu (i5/i7) 'inflation'?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Phitec, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Phitec

Phitec Member

Hi guys, just been curious as i noticed over the last couple years, the prices of the avg i5 or i7 has increased from what i can see?
    using unlocked i5 series as an example back in early 2013 i bought i5 3570k was around $230, mid 2014 i bought an i5 4670k for $270 and at the moment both the i5 4690k and i5 6600k are going for ~$360 (i'm pretty sure last year at some point i do recall seeing the i5 4690k below the $300 mark)

I understand there's obvious reasons as too why price would go up at certain times (supply/demand/lastgen/new releases etcetc) but what im really getting at is, the avg price for unlocked i5 went from around 230, to now approx 360. the i7 seems to have done the same thing, atm ~$525 for unlocked i7, if i recall correctly it was $350-400 for 3770k's

the only logical thing i can think of is that im focusing too much on i5 3570k being the same as a 4670k etc at their times of release or maybe im just being too much of a cheap arse but imo $100+ change for the unlocked i5s over the last years is pretty hefty. hopefully i made some sense and someone can perhaps educate me here :D

thanks

2. james150

james150 Member

-Crap Australian dollar, strong US dollar.
    -No competition from AMD
    -Slight premium as we have just moved to the new 1151 socket

I do agree with you, the high prices of cpu's and lack of significant performance improvements has had me stall on upgrades since late 2012...same deal again with gpu's.

3. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I remember when I bought my 4690k, a year later, it had gathered a $100 premium :eek: Good for me i guess

4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

same with all my cpus (5960X,5930K,4690K)

i got them aug 2014, and the dollar dropped, and now, they 59x0 cpu's are $200-300 more then i paid for them 18 months ago.

5. OP
    OP
    Phitec

Phitec Member

Ahh I totally forgot about the aud currency side of things, yeah still sucks that it has risen so high pretty much an avg gaming builds cost an extra couple hundred now ><
    I remember ddr3 ram doing it also.4 years ago roughly I paid like $50 per 8gb and I think at some point a year or two ago it was like 80-90 for the same thing

6. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

The crazy thing is the jump in price from high end Z97 to Z170 motherboards. $400 seems to be a new norm whereas $250 got a great board previously.

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

is that also due to the dollar as much as anything?

another reason im liking MATX. have all the same features of full size boards except the pci-e, and are just as good.

love my X99 Killers and Z97 Genes (they were all around $400 new)

8. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

The other crazy thing is the fact that constantly upgrading doesn't provide the gains it used to and is largely a waste of money. My 2700k @ 5ghz still smashes anything I throw at it, and so does my Xeon X5675 interestingly enough.

9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i got a spare pc with a QX9650 in it, running 4.2Ghz with a GTX980, and latest titles at 1080p aint a struggle for it.

i would like to see the X58/Z68 cpus (pci-e 2.0) go with latest titles at 4K. from my understanding there wont be a big difference, eventhought a single 980Ti can struggle in some titles @ 4K

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

What is a bit of a pain is all the different sockets. You can get quite cheap, older processors, nice i5 and i7 CPUs, but then you also got to find an old motherboard.

With AMD it's all AMD3+, but the performance isn't as good :(

11. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

if you look back 5 years, there is also the issue with the GFC so intel and a lot of other manufactures were offering their goods at lower profit margins to get sales. This also added to cheaper parts for those that could afford them.

Between the AUD loosing ground, the GFC mostly over for the rest of the world, AMD not putting out a serious competitor and intel looking to go low power instead of increasing performance, topped with the current console's being near the start of their cycle (only a issue if you see game performance a major force in pushing PC development), then we are in for very small improvements vs 5 years ago.

This will probably stay for another 3-5 years (personal guess).

All intel and similar manufactures can do is acknowledge the smaller demand and the need to make more profit from each part to be able to pay for their normal (fixed) operating costs.

I expect prices to keep increasing with nothing to show for it for a few more years yet.

Performance will have to start increasing again as there is a limit to how low you can go power wise and still have a usable system.

This is also assuming the mobile / hand held market does not become the new "device" like how the consoles became the common gaming system for casual gamers.

12. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

If that's the case then I probably won't need to upgrade my 930 or 2600k for 3-5 years.