CPU or Motherboard at Fault - Strange One

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by sTeeLzor, Sep 1, 2017.

1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Okay guys so I recently had what I believed may have been a power surge kill a Motherboard and probably a graphics card. Either that or just excessive heat melted some stuff. Anyway, at the very least the motherboard had an exploded trace and the GPU power port smelt like I let out the magic smoke...

So I replaced the motherboard by buying a new one and sent of my 980Ti for RMA. Got it back today and went to install. Wouldnt work.

Tested voltages on the Power Supply. Gave it a clean out. Tried new power cables. Eventually I swapped it to the 2nd PCIE slot and it worked.

So either by some strange unlucky, either I have a bad motherboard OR somehow the damage propogated to the CPU which prevents only slot 1 PCIE working. I tested this with my PCIE4x SSD card and it would not work in that slot.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

Intel 6600K.
    Previously MSI Gaming M5 Z170.
    Now Gigabyte Gamking K5 Z270.
    EVGA 980Ti

I would rather not run the graphics card in slot 2 as it buts right up against the SSD thereby blocking airflow and adding heat to that.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I would return the mobo to place of purchase for immediate swap over.

3. OP
    OP
    sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah I'd be pretty annoyed at trying to redo that again.

I just realised that I didn't notice the burning smell of the Gpu till after I put it in the new mobo so maybe it fried the slot too. I'll call the company tomorrow.