1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

CPU Temp Ryzen 3600 Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by mwd, Jan 3, 2020.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

Yeah, its in a very cramped itx case, altho it does have a 120mm fan blowing over the small hsf..

A few others report high temps with the 3600, even with aftermarket cooling , which concerns me that if i buy a new larger case and tower hsf , it will be better but still hot. Maybe its just a strange 3600 thing.

Weirdly it still is very fast - doing ycruncher benchmark in 40% less time then my 6500 (also 65w) intel cpu did in the same case.
    Surely if it is running terribly hot it would be throttling?

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

thermal rating of 65w on the chip and thermal rating of 65w on the cooler would put it at max thermal load immediately. If you can manage to get something with 100w thermal capacity you'll be much better off

Be Quiet shadow rock lp is pretty low profile and is rated at 130w

3. malamute

malamute Member

terrastrife you are right, pulled it apart to have a look and nh-l9a the fins point at the vrm and ram. I am sure it was opposite whatever I was seeing with the nh-l9i video. Dunno why they would point them at ram and vrm.

4. datfreak

datfreak Member

ryzen s.JPG

How?

Bolter01 likes this.
  5. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

The CPU chiplet is tiny, at most you will get one heatpipe of coverage over it, it's actually pretty hard to cool Ryzen down because of this. If the heatsink base is ever so slightly convex (as some would be made for the last 2 decades due to how they mount on Intel CPUs), your temps will be super super shit.

7. datfreak

datfreak Member

Ive gone from a 65w i5 to a 65w ryzen 3600- thermals shouldn't be a issue.

Amd could have done a better job with the hsf / ihs or whatever causes this. A non tech enthusiast, prob wouldn't even look at the temps but I find the load temps at 90c unnerving.

Mine is in a ITX case, so i'll either find a low profile cpu cooler that doesn't foul anything or relocate it all into a bigger case and slap a 212 or equiv OTT cooler on it. But as you mentioned, I'm concerned that even with a big cooler, if a heatpipe doesn't line up, or if the ihs isn't flat the temp will still be shit.

I have a work around atm tho - using ryzen master I have setup a profile that uses a peak core voltage of 1.13125, disabled SMT and set max core speed to 4000 on all cores. Idle is still 45-50c but at least load temp is only 70c now and I havn't noticed any fps dips in games.

Bolter01 likes this.
  8. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Thanks for letting us know, I was interested in the low watt Ryzens for low temps & pwr... but I think I am hearing with this particular CPU, its die location..? anyway well done on getting a nice, cooler 4gz

9. malamute

malamute Member

Another workaround for the lazy is just to lower the tdp in bios. At least with msi motherboards that is easy enough. I tested once lowering a ryzen 2700x tdp down to 65w and it didn't affect scores as much as you would think.
    In theory you could run any ryzen cpu at 65w (or slightly less) if you wanted. I read once someone was running a 3950x at 65w with an nh-l9a and still beating a stock 3900x cinebench scores. There wasn't much drop in performance going down to 95w and 65w but it went pretty bad at 45w and 28w.

I am sure doing it properly with voltage offsets etc would do better though.

datfreak likes this.
  10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

A 65W Intel uses about 45-50W at full load (it reaches 65W if you are using the iGPU too). A 65W Ryzen uses 88W at max and it is coming from a source that is A LOT smaller than the Intel die and also offset from the centre, this makes it way harder to cool.

How much space do you have to work with? Does your motherboard fit the Black Ridge?

Bolter01 and datfreak like this.
  11. datfreak

datfreak Member

I didnt know this was a thing(msi b450i). I've just tried it - set the ppt to a max of 55w in the bios.
    Running y-cruncher,in Ryzen master ppt is now capped the 55w and cpu capped at 31w. This gave a 74c peak temp and only added 2 seconds to the YC time. Very impressed! Thankyou for suggesting it.
    This is a much better fix then ryzen master plus I was finding no smt buggy ie:no sleep mode
    The 3600 is a beast of a cpu to be that fast at less then 55w PPT!

I didnt realize the 65w in intel was the total igpu and cpu package. That does make sense tho.
    Yeah I'll look in a low profile cooler - I find it difficult to find one that fit on itx as the memory and vrm heatsink are very close to the socket - ive been caught before will cooler that look like they will fit but hit something.
    I'm a tempted to use the thermals as a excuse to buy a new slightly bigger case and tower cooler as the silverstone sg06 is a squeeze

EDIT: tried to reduce ppt further to 50w, but load temps were the same at 75c(with smt on or off) and benchmark time were slower than I'd like. A ppt of 55w seems to be the sweetspot for me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020