Craft beer/Not typical swill

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Madengineer, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Probs a little harsh :D

I'm looking for a new beer to enjoy over Christmas.

Lately, I've been favouring Drys... I tried to go back to Carlton, and I gagged :D

Looking for something with an interesting taste, but it's not likely to break the budget. Like, 60 for a carton or something.

Anybody got some thoughts?

And perhaps something with a more unique taste?

Looking at James Squire Hop Thief. Sounds interesting.

Something like a spiced drink?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I love Asahi Superdry - and that is either $50 a case or 2 for $90.

Most decent craft beers are too expensive for you get IMO.

My summer beer is Two Brothers Kung Foo - but it's like $90 a case.

3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'm looking at Matilda Bay Redback right now, as well as 4 Pines Pale Ale.

Both seem like I'd like them (I'm going to go down tomorrow and grab a few different ones to try before I go getting a carton) :D

I've seen Asahi Super Dry before... Not quite what I'm looking for. It just seems like a normal beer, just with a more exotic name. haha

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

So you can have a bottle of every beer you have ever had on a shelf above your bed?

5. firey4059

firey4059 Member

Gidday ME.
    I'm a home brewer....again (after an 18 year break) and I've just purchased a couple of slabs for Christmas from Aldi, since I'm in between brews ATM. I purchased Storm pale ale with green label and Storm super dry with silver label. I think from memory they were both around $35 'ish (not exactly sure). They both taste fine to me. The Pale Ale tastes quite Cooper'ish, but isn't cloudy at all. I describe myself as not having particularly sophisticated taste, but I know what I like from what I don't like.
    Cameron.

6. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ahh you know me so well... But they'd go in my display cabinet next to the bed :p

But nah seriously. More so so I don't go out and buy a carton of something that I won't drink.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I wouldn't say I have a sophisticated taste either, but I'm trying to broaden my taste :D

Like, I know I like Carlton Dry, and could drink that all day, but I wanna see if there's something else I could go to for a more social drink rather than just with the goal of drinking to drink... haha

7. neRok

neRok Member

If you want the 'commercial craft beer', then there's a ton of options. All the James Squires beers, Redback, Big Helga, Beez Neez, Fat Yak etc are all around $55 a carton and go down okay. (PS- a lot of those beers I mentioned brewed by/from Matilda Bay).

Now if you want to go dirt cheap, I've been drink Oettinger Pils. It is fantastic @ $40 for 24x500ml cans!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Compared to it's price point peers, it's a cut above them IMO. One of the reviews on Dan Murpheys said its 100% made from malt too, which the ingredients on the can confirms, whereas the similar price carlton and tooheys etc are all mixed with dextrose (according to this review, not verified).

And it's imported, so you can brag to your mates :lol:

8. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I was actually looking at redback, and a friend just recommended some James squire.

Not too keen on getting quantity just because it's cheap. I'm looking more for quality without paying through the nose. Haha

9. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Have you drank through the range of Coopers?

10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Err, nope.

Which would you recommend?

Tempted to start with Coopers Dark Ale.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Go the Redback Mad E, it's one of my favourite wheat beers.
    Continuing wheat beer: Hoegaarden and Blue Moon are quite nice.
    :D

12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Will look into them as well. I still want to get a bottle of a few different ones to try. But so far, I'm really keen for Coopers Dark Ale :D

13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

carlton dry is one of the plainest beers around, very boring, little taste, very inoffensive

everything you've mentioned (apart from 4 Pines) is pretty much commercial swill

most people find very hoppy beers interesting, as they have quite a lot of "taste" compare to your standard bitters etc.

some hoppy beers to try:

Little Creatures Pale Ale
    Vale IPA
    Lord Nelson 3 Sheets Pale Ale

most IPA's are quite hoppy, you might enjoy them

14. scon

scon Member

Just go out and buy 6 longnecks of various beers that you're interested in. If you're worried about cost and don't know what you want it's the best way you'll get to try a few.

15. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That's what I'm going to do. Haha

First thing in the morning.

16. Thudd

Thudd Member

You could go far worse than this. 4 Pines is not expensive (especially compared to many craft beers) and is really quite good. I've become a fan of the pale ale when I want something that I know I'll like but don't want to venture in my one-off craft purchases. Their kolsch is also excellent and I quite like their stout too. Plus, they are still an independent brewery.

Murrays Angry Man (pale ale) is in a similar vein; not too expensive, reasonably widely available and eminently drinkable without being too far out.

17. samo

samo Member

I think a lot of craft beers these days all taste the same. It's gotten to the point where any half wit can release a hoppy beer and call it a craft beer and sell it for $60/carton.

If you like the hop flavour but with some bitterness then try Coopers Celebration Ale or if you can find it the Brooklyn IPA. If you're after something very different but is a very good, easy to drink summer beer then try the Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc.

18. scon

scon Member

I'm currently living east coast USA and I am sick of hops. Once you know the styles you're into you can start looking for them specifically and can get a decent variety of things. At home it does seem that unless you go to a pub that is specifically about craft beer, craft hops. Enjoying a lot of German Style beers, Helles, Marzen's etc.

Oh and any sour. I love sours.

19. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So... This morning I ducked into my local liquor story, and grabbed 3 different flavours (hella expensive BTW) consider it was just 3. I paid something like 35 dollars for them.

James Squire Hop Thief
    Redback
    Dark Ale

I've only tasted the Dark Ale so far, and it went down hella smooth. I could drink that all day...

Gonna give it an hour or so and try the next.

20. Da Madness

Da Madness Member

Stone and wood Pacific ale.