Crazy! Open loop water loss system

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Gibby1366-EP, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Gibby1366-EP

Gibby1366-EP Member

Crazy! Open loop water loss system.
    So I have always been a custom loop system man [​IMG]

I am thinking about building a system for my soon to be new i9 and gtx 2080ti. The water cooling will literally just be plain tap water through a filter and straight in through my loop, out the loop and straight into the drain (to my water tank).

Points to note. I dont pay for water, as it's part of my lease and the environment will be fine because it will be re-used from my tanks.

Foreseen advantages are no radiators, pumps or fans. So system noise will be down. No pump to fail.
    Cons would be the system would not have any antibacterial in it. Which I believe I could add via a bellow if the system was to sit for long periods. If the system had a leak it would LEAK! But insurance should cover that.

Opinions, discussions, any comment! Whack them below.

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

Aside from the total waste of one of natural resources a couple of the biggest points are:

• Your system is no longer portable.
    • It wont be cheap, or easy to plumb this up especially as you'll need to run supply and drain hoses and consider what happens if something leaks as it will stay pressurised even with the PC off
    • You will need to plumb everything up in parallel for best results
    • I would be regulating (there is a difference between regulating and throttling) the pressure going in, mains pressure is a shit load more then any PC pump can produce so you'll either need dam good/tight fittings or limit the pressure.
    • I wouldn't worry about the build up in the loop too much. Being fresh water there will be bugger all stuff in it and the flow will help limit it as well.
    • It'll be a good experiment but I wouldn't consider doing this full time
    This is a video I made ages ago showing the push on o-ring fittings hooked up to my mains line. So I would consider using the screw down fittings but also need to worry about how much pressure the block o-rings can take

Also your picture doesn't work

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Gibby1366-EP

Gibby1366-EP Member

You have some very good points.

As for water waste the water would be re-used for the laundry gardens etc as it would just flow into the tank.

Because the heated water will be expelled the flow rate could be a fair bit less than your standard system.

I would be using a variable flow control valve to limit pressure and flow. My mains pressure can be as high as 500kpa.

I will have to post the results. Good or bad :/

4. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Why? I believe series is always better. Unless your running each block on the limit of where it will blow out its o ring with each block having different max flow and pressure limitations.
    Even then the difference would be very small for a large increase in water use.

If the tap water is below ambient you may run into condensation problems depending on humidity and temperature difference.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. CMH

CMH Member

I'm just thinking how much water this is going to use.

Grey water tank or not, this will fill it up easy. A small leak alone could lose 40-60l of water a day, and this wouldn't be a small leak.

Don't be surprised if your landlord turns up with a plumber to look for leaks.

Also don't be surprised if he sues you for the exorbitant amount of water you'll be using.

6. OP
    OP
    Gibby1366-EP

Gibby1366-EP Member

Sorry not grey water. It is a rain water tank. Which we fill up regularly. Plus it is a 5 bedroom house and I am in it alone. I would guess that it wouldn't use much more than that of 4 extra people living with me.
    Plus this year I spent 4.5 months away from home and next year will be more. Usually in 4 week blocks.
    My issue would be it sitting for that month. So before I go away I was going to put biocide in it.

7. im late

im late Member

Nice idea, but these days it is quite easy and cheap,to build a basic closed loop,system choosing the correct parts to make it a silent and efficient build.

In regards to parts, the cost of purchasing good used ones from known members here for much cheaper is the most sensible approach to cooling a PC under water.

However, don't let anyone get in the way of an idea. At the end of the day, your money and your parts. So go ahead and let us know how it goes!

8. havabeer

havabeer Member

Series is better (or the same) for closed loop systems as the heat is dissipated over the whole loop

With a total loss system like the OP wants to build the heated water will travel from the CPU to the gpu. In a closed loop this wouldn't matter as that same heated water gets pumped back around, picking up and losing heat until it balances its self out.

When the water is just being spurted out the other end you want the cold new water flowing to each component for the best cooling effects

Gibby1366-EP likes this.
  9. dasa2

dasa2 Member

With high pressure it will be racing past so fast that by the time it gets to the last block it may only be ~0.05c warmer than the first.

10. OP
    OP
    Gibby1366-EP

Gibby1366-EP Member

I would turn the flow and pressure down so as to limit water waste. As well as having the water go up after the pc to prevent it draining out.

I believe havabeer nailed it.

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

You will find out that water rushing through your mains isn't as quiet as you think :p Pipes vibrate, expand, contract, making all sorts of noises.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Honestly I really don't see the massive advantages to warrant such a setup.

Utoracat likes this.
  13. echineon

echineon Member

If I may have some input I think OP can run a large reservoir and an external pump with one massive car radiator or something and that would warrant fanless. But honestly it sounds more trouble than it's worth.

14. KriiV

KriiV Member

You ain't gonna get much cooler than running a decent closed loop.
    I wouldn't waste my time, the water or my landlords money. Or relying on your insurer if something goes wrong, don't you have something better to do?

Each to their own though! Some sort of pressure management at the entry and the rest should be easy.

Utoracat likes this.
  15. Hater

Hater Member

Couldn't you use just the tank water, and recirculate it?

Pressure fed from the bottom of the tank, through the loop and into the top of the tank?

That way you're not wasting water

Jazper likes this.
  16. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Waiting for the results

im late likes this.
  17. havabeer

havabeer Member

Im the opposite i'd love to see this happen, just as an over curiosity. This is ocau after all.

It's like that guy who spent 1000's trying to water cool his pc using oil in stead of demin water in his loop.

18. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

create a closed loop system and run that through the water tank you mentioned.

current idea is a waste.

that's pretty scummy

ArmoureD likes this.
  19. 2khamisj

2khamisj Member

As others have touched upon, you're going to have issues with pressure blowing out the seals in the fittings and between the water jackets of the blocks you use, unless you match incoming pressure to OEM specs of the blocks you're using. The mineral content of tank water is going to cause mineral deposit buildup over time, which will cause blockages and pitting to the surfaces of your water blocks. Any money you think you'll be saving by dodging the cost of a pump and rad will be lost 10x in 6-12 months on your first replacement of the water blocks. This of course, will keep happening, as the materials used in off-the-shelf watercooling parts are designed to be run with demineralised water. The use of different metals in whatever fittings you decide on, plus the different grades of metals used on the waterblocks, plus the different grades of metals used in your external tank + fittings can cause some pretty phenomenal chemical reactions through the process of scavenging.

Source: I was a dental equipment technician for many years, and have dealt with a lot of hydraulic control blocks and water circuits affected by using different water mediums instead of demineralised, as required.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    echineon likes this.
  20. KriiV

KriiV Member

I'd like to see it too. Whether the OP should spend him time or other peoples money on this is another matter.. for him to decide. I can merely comment :)