1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. OJR

OJR Member

On Gumtree? Yes, they usually are.

Phalanx, Sankari and passwordistaco like this.
  2. rg144

rg144 Member

nothing wrong with being high if its purple blaze. but these guys are smoking crack.

passwordistaco likes this.
  3. groovetek

groovetek Member

Without seeing the exact examples being referred to I would assume the ones still grasping for $1800 for 3080s are selling FHR's.

4. Sankari

Sankari Member

As a general rule of thumb, you should assume that everyone on Gumtree has started the day with at least five cones or more.

Ethan W and rg144 like this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Most likely yes but probably depends on how old the ads are, they may not be checking prices and they are falling quickly now : )

Sledge likes this.
  6. ndt

ndt Member

It's a mix of FHR and people not saying hash rate.

It is interesting the used prices are still holding very close to the brand new prices. I thought availability had increased, why would you buy a used card for the same prices as a brand new card.

7. Elmf

Elmf Member

You wouldn't. People think the price they paid is relavent, it's delusional lol

8. ndt

ndt Member

ebay sold listing seems to indicate people are buying the used cards close to new prices, even for LHR cards.

9. Elmf

Elmf Member

I don't know what's going on with eBay but everything seems to sell for too high. Maybe that's the crowd of :

-can't be fucked searching new prices
    -definitely not on ocau
    -think FB is for hoodlums so don't use marketplace
    -get bashed if I use gumtree

Therefore = overpay?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

A lot of the ebay success is based on consumer confidence in the platform and if they have an issue there will be appropriate recourse. With platforms like FB and GT there are no comebacks essentially, you get a dud item or get scammed no one will be there to help. Ebay relies on consumer confidence that if there is an issue in the transaction ebay will look after them and fix to their satisfaction given that they seem to have wide reaching powers, including financial. Combine this with PP and the bias it shows towards the buyer you have a system that people will be happy to pay a premium for. Further to this it's become less of a site to purchase second hand items but more a shop front for business.

raincloudx, Elmf and rg144 like this.
  11. havabeer

havabeer Member

Gumtree is a beast unto its self in the pc hardware game. I think most selling on there are hoping to stumble onto someone who doesnt know what they're buying and will pay some of absurd prices based on all the hype words in the title

I saw someone selling a pc with a gt1030 graphics card with the title of "high end gaming pc"

12. apemann

apemann Member

everyone is hugely overestimating the depth of knowledge of people who have got into mining especially in 2021

When i sold my farm last year it was to mostly professionals and business people who were not mecahnical enough to rebuild a car, or develop an app, but could plug stuff in and do some basic research and work hiveos and had recently become interested in crypto.

throwing 10-50k was the same as buying a new play-thing/jetski, road bike and 2021 was the year for that, for cards was an easy investment because they could do basic research on whattomine or something else

1 guy who bought a large portion of the farm had literally no clue what he was doing and rang me almost every week how to do stuff, and gradually got him going and then 3 months later he asked who built my cool room because everything kept shutting down because of heat....

i prewarned him about needing 3 phase, cooling etc etc but he didnt listen, he was in that cash grab phase because i was selling 3xxx cards $500 cheaper than anyone else

their depth of knowledge was barely above having heard of Bitcoin and hearing it would 10x

stupid 2nd hand advertising prices will continue beause the depth of knowledge out there is very low,

they will be advertising the cards at those prices because that is still what it says its worth on whattomine of nanopool

just 2 people asked me about the merge, and just one said 'are you selling this stuff now because you know its going to be a pain in the ass when the merge comes'

EVERY other person said its OK if ETH goes up or down ill just sell the cards to gamers.....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Rod M likes this.
  13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

teehee. i'll buy a gcard when crypto has reached 3X
    i think im above zero gain. but just a tiny fraction. my baseline is 3,000 aud. see you at 9,000 and not a penny of fiat less.

intel graphics card. or a china card if they actually work.

if only it was 2020 again :'{

better yet, why doesn't some clever coder create their own coin? ainsliebullion have their AUD coin now.

https://www.themartec.com/insidelook/blockchain-companies-australia

there you are ---^
    ===

of course you are still measuring crypto versus your fiat incomes...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  14. Current

Current Member

They will likely go into ravencoin :)

15. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Beware the sold listings with "or best offer" included. They show the listed buy it now price, but not the offer that was actually accepted.

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

wat? stop speaking in riddles or pull that tongue out of your cheek

eth has actually done a nice climb in the last week or so, well and truly paid for my 3080 ($1600) now and into making profit.

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

*some people that bought cards for mining

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Make sure you have 3 phase ready for nvidias 5 series .

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Correct, the 2nd hand price market does tend to lag behind retail, invariably they will come down accordingly. I think the mining game certainly has changed this time around and is no longer the huge game changer it was last time around.

20. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

There are so many people mining, the difficulty level is through the roof on ETH. A 3090 should be making $9 a day but now only $6 to $7.