1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. nope

nope Member

hope im allowed to post in here without soying up

Nvm I'm banned lmaooo

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i forgot i was supposed to buy an arc. still might get a cheapy if they ever turn up. in the supply chain shoRtaGe wOrlD. if i can just stop my addiciton to 500/kilo snow peas. /s

nope likes this.
  3. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

With the new series cards launching later this year and the price of crypto way down it looks like everyone who has been hanging out for an upgrade will finally be able to snag one before Xmas at a reasonable price.

nope likes this.
  4. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Realistically though, they are getting announced, they won't be available to actually purchase.

When they actually launch good luck beating the scalper bot scripts that are far more advanced than ever.

nope likes this.
  5. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

I wasn’t so much thinking of the new cards but what it would do to the pricing of the previous series.

nope likes this.
  6. The Beast

The Beast Member

Depends on stock levels. If you want to buy cheap, do it sooner rather than later, certainly don't wait until Nov or Dec. When the existing gen cards in the supply chain start to dry up, and the new cards are unobtainium, the price of all desirable cards will do nothing but freeze or increase.

The only thing that may change that is an excess of next gen stock (highly unlikely) or ex-mining cards flooding the market, but that's not a given. The Merge has been pushed to August, and Eth 2.0 won't really be operational until 2023.... so miners gonna mine for a bit longer.

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

Can you please include some links when you post random pictures of stuff? Literally, nobody can know from your post what you're talking about.

Intel's First Arc Custom Graphics Card Pictured, Meet The GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon 6 GB With Full ACM-G11 GPU, Starting at $150 US (wccftech.com)

GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon: the world's first custom Arc desktop GPU | TweakTown

Intel Arc A380 GPU is Out in China (servethehome.com)

Wacko02 and Sledge like this.
  8. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Crypto is in it's infancy.

MR CHILLED and nope like this.
  9. nope

nope Member

Could you please check the entire arc thread instead of being obtuse

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Definitely. Let's hope the world doesn't shut it down before it has a chance to take off. I know there will be many very worried large financial institutions right now.

11. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Many that are licking their lips in the current bear market...

I do feel sorry for people that actually poured their savings in when it was at its peak.

Those silly numpties.

nope likes this.
  12. The Beast

The Beast Member

A) No thanks. It's the author's job to make their post make sense, not the reader.
    B) Your post in the Arc thread was equally vague and contained no links or clue to where you got your info, or what the actual point of the post was. It was also factually inaccurate.
    C) I'll make you a deal, I'll stop being obtuse when you stop posting lazy. :thumbup:

rg144, Sledge, jjjc_93 and 1 other person like this.
  13. nope

nope Member

cringe

14. havabeer

havabeer Member

soooo people waiting to get their hands on a reasonably priced 3000 series upgrade have had to wait for the next gen of cards to be released just to enjoy previous gen?

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yo chinaman! wanna buy a cheap graphics card?

finally, they start getting it .

nope likes this.
  16. rg144

rg144 Member

Whilst its great for buyers (and some may be of the opinion to stick it to greedy sellers who were asking farrr too much for ex-mining cards), you never want to see sellers puking like they have this week.

Yet another example of the very high (and +ve) correlation with crypto (btw extremely confident we see a BTC/ETH floor here NOW.. but not going down that rabbit hole of crypto pricing chat; seen that thread- its the blind leading the blind :p)

Back to card pricing: still 10 - 20% premiums in these cards at current new pricing depending on card/model.
    Should come as no surprise if we see further drops over the next 6-8 weeks as:
    a) nVidia's recent price drops continue to filter across to all cards/regions
    b) More cards go sub MSRP like they have in the US. 3080Ti --> 3090Ti, and 6900/6950XT are all sub MSRP now and
    c) (potential) Amazon Prime Day deals in 3 weeks --> opportunity for retailers to offload stock

It was clear a month ago the ass-end in AMD cards was imminent.
    But the floor in gpu prices (overall) has yet to be seen.

Not forecasting (no-one cares for Nostradamus), just stating what I'm seeing. And again how important US market/pricing is.

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

My gumtree inbox is full of offers today after (quite often rudely) turning down my initial "lowballs" to their ads. Reality is definitely starting to bite hard, but the market was always going to correct at some point. The days of profiting or making back the full return of your brand new purchase are officially over.

I managed to pickup a 3080ti for under the current cheapest retail offering of a 10gb 3080 so I will be happy with that for sometime. Keen to see the circus that ensues with the next announcement. I can only imagine how cheaply I could have bought back in if I had more patience :p

nope and macktheknife like this.
  18. The Beast

The Beast Member

I'm not in Aus so not following the current trend. What cards and what prices are we talking?

19. rg144

rg144 Member

For ex mining cards (specifically out of rigs in bulk/multiple card sellers):

3070's $600 (alot going around now)
    3080's $900 - $950

Individual/single card sellers however- still a wide spread of prices across models and (seller) expectations.

3090's are also coming into AUD $1600. Naturally these have been dropping the quickest.

If anyone cares for numbers out of US, next chart of fleabay cards sold may be of interest:

upload_2022-6-20_2-27-15.png

Can clearly see where the low hanging fruit is for the first next release (4090), given the 3090 is by far the biggest revenue maker despite selling half as many cards as a 3060Ti (Qty not shown above but take my word for it, I just didnt bother plotting ;)

Even 3080's sell 1.5x more vs 3090, yet 3090 pulls in more $$$.

That has all changed though in May as the puke began..

nope, jjjc_93, Sankari and 1 other person like this.
  20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

3090s advertising for 1.8-2.2k now asking if I'll pickup for $1.6k.
    3080Ti's up for 1.6k-1.7k offering 1.3k.
    3080s up for 1.2k+ offering for 1-1.1k (nobody wants to budge under that magic 1k yet)

I grabbed a 3080ti eagle for 1.1k. The lowest tier of offerings from Gigabyte but the same cooler as the OC/Vision cards as far as I can tell so it will definitely do for that price. Considering I sold my 3090 for 2.2k a little while ago, this whole build will come under that for similar performance.

Availability of these cards is going to decrease on the lead up to 40 series dropping. Then there will be a shortly lived fire sale, and if there is a shortage on release again then another spike in prices for those who weren't able to quickly capitalise. Catching the floor isn't always possible but there are opportunities to buy in at more palatable prices now and for the next little bit.