1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Xeonae

Xeonae Member

Sell sell sell quickly!

2. garry

garry Member

gees $2,750 for a secondhand 3080 i didn't realize they would sell for so much second hand thats nearly double the original retail price at release.
    I wonder how much i would get if i sold my ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC which has had a very easy life playing destiny 2 once or twice a week.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  3. groovetek

groovetek Member

$10pp :D

4. garry

garry Member

Haha

5. The Beast

The Beast Member

Nice one, that's a good way to look at it.

We put in just enough that we're happy to not see for 2-3 years, we'll wait and see what happens. It does make the profitability of mining questionable for those not already invested, so demand for that purpose should slow - but as I've said before I don't think we'll see a flood of second-hard cards or an increase of new stock any time soon.

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

There's a good sized trickle now. But a week only scares the... uh... weak hands. It'll take a month for the dyke to burst.

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

Eth bouncing back, don't expect miners to get scared just yet.

8. Sunder

Sunder Member

I haven't read up too much on the inner workings of eth, but isn't eth mining somewhat self balancing, in that the transaction cost will go up and down depending on the availability of processing power? Of course it's paid in eth (or a unit of anyway), so it does affect it to some degree, but overall, wouldn't the profitability of mining be more determined by the volume of transactions rather than the value of eth?

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

11. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

More than a few, more on sale the last few days then the last 5 months add together. They probably has a huge hole on the CC hence when the price of ETH fall they have to sale up.

12. fad

fad Member

Paper hands

13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Comes as no surprise that the people who had no interest in crypto or mining before this cycle would be the first to exit when the market stops surging for a few minutes.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If the current environment emulates the classic bubble, it'll bull trap bounce to around 3600, and then collapse again.

15. JamalH

JamalH Member

Ill be waiting for new cards to hit shelves personally

16. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If ex mining cards all hit the sale forums/ebay at once then the used price will surely tank. But if it's just a handful of them then people dedicated to mining are still gonna be all over them.

17. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Apparently not all 30xx series cards sold will be nerfed. They are literally going to sell non nerfed ones as well as the LHR cards. If this is indeed what we end up seeing we will learn exactly what the premium is for a card that can mine ETH at full rate.

18. Sunder

Sunder Member

Maybe. Using economic terminology, there is a difference in elasticity and the degree of fungibility. Miners have a demand that is less elastic and non-fungible. Gamers have an elastic demand and a fungible product.

That is, miners will keep paying higher prices as long as they can make a profit from it. Gamers have a price they're willing to pay, and above that, they won't buy. On the other hand, if gamers can't get an LHR card, they may be willing to pay a bit more for a non-LHR card. If miners can't get a non-LHR card, LHR cards aren't a substitute.

Who knows how that will shape prices?

19. Ck21

Ck21 Member

for those that missed it, and chasing a cheap~ish 3070, dell are at it again on their ebay store, use PNVDG20 as the coupon code at checkout to the below finial price

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K RTX 3070 16GB RAM 1TB SSD for AU $2,139.00

Dell G5 Gaming Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-10700F 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX 3070 for AU $1,999.00

not as cheap as last time, but close enough, and might be the only to get 3070 that hasnt had its price jacked to oblivion and back.

20. daffyd23

daffyd23 Member

Note the eBay ones have a month lead time, I wouldn't be comfortable with that personally.

The only reasonable quick delivery is on 3060Ti.
    https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/del...desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/smgd5d606au

(Although the deals will rotate tomorrow I think, so may be better or worse then. Currently showing $2024). Use code LOVEKEANU for another 7% off and cashrewards for a 3% cashback ex-GST