1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Ordering something and had a look through some old order history on Centrecom.

Back in 2009 when the rather Snazzy 4870 Dark Knight Edition GPU was $350
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I forgot I owned that one.

adamsleath and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  2. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Is this not insane or am I just being melodramatic? Wouldn't a 1080Ti whoop this card in most modern titles? Am I missing something here?

3. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Mining. 5700 has a higher yield for things like Ethereum whilst using a bucket load less power doing it.

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I like to hope I'm a little of both.
    I fully understand I am privileged. I mean I'm on an overclocking forum, posting in a thread about GPU prices... Does it get MORE privileged?
    I have had tremendous opportunities to pursue careers in any field I've been interested in. (send me a PM if you want to discuss my roles)

And being called very Naive... YES. I am.
    As for the housing market. I am not in the housing market. I've worked hard and due to that privilege you mentioned, I am sorted and am happy with what I have... But I am not the one being sold a pipe dream or a mere pyramid scheme.
    Mining will make you SEVENTY TRILLION DOLLARS IN YOUR FIRST TWO DAYS!!!!
    well... NO... IT WON'T. SORRY! you'll have to work hard like the rest of us.

You call me privileged because I don't see value in resale?
    Did you think that I only buy things because I can make money off them? I can give you a few better ways than crypto mining to make money if that's what you so desire!
    I worked hard, and I buy the things I want to use and enjoy them. And Whether I use them for 6 months or 60 years it doesn't make a difference. I am saying you shouldn't let dreams get in the way of reality.

And getting back on topic. YES, GPU pricing is crazy. You can either suck it up and pay the asking cost and ensure you're paying out the ass for years to come, or you can be happy with what you have untill things become more realistically priced. (I already know you're all gonna pay out the ass and bitch about it while a certain few of us are sitting here with our garbage and be happy with it)
    And I'm not even going to get into this bullshit about how mining will destroy GPU prices for "REAL GAMERS" TM.
    ALL of my current GPU's are ex mining, and this may prove another thing I post that proves unpopular... I prefer to buy an EX mining GPU than an EX gaming GPU....
    You know a gaming GPU has been overclocked to the shithouse and thrashed within an inch of its life in a shitty case with no airflow as long as it has RGB fans! A mining GPU was likely used with a modded CMOS that made it use less power and make less heat and used in an open frame.

I think where the trouble in the market is, Why should anyone pay $2000 for a card that's worth $1000 at most? to a miner it's worth $1,230 per year to them, but to anyone else, it's worth $800.
    And when anyone OTHER than a miner knows its worth $800, but the miner thinks it's worth $1,230 per year and it will last 17 years, so it should be worth $20,910... Only miners will pay that 20 grand, to non miners that 20 grand seems stupid. Hence the title: CRAZY video card pricing.

bYrd likes this.
  5. The Beast

The Beast Member

I'm quite certain.

That's not what anyone has said, nor believes. Strawmanning your argument at this late stage doesn't make it valid.

There is profit in mining whether you wish to believe it or not.

No, I suggested you were either privileged, naive or both because you said "If you ever consider resale value on ANYTHING you buy, perhaps you should be thinking about if you even need or want the item in the first place?"
    It's a non-sensical purchasing strategy for almost everyone alive, rich or poor. So I guess, in retrospect, I was just calling you odd.

Great, I'll call you in a few months time. I've got a few GPUs to chuck in with that bridge.

I can't even.

Lol. No thanks.

Sankari likes this.
  6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

be interesting to see how long a card would last under full load.
    in 17 years btc will be google plex dollars per bitcoin! multiple global scale disasters will occur in that time frame I'm sure.

7. groovetek

groovetek Member

Resale doesn't just mean to re-sell at a profit. It's simply the retention of some value, whether it's less or more than the original acquisition cost.

In which case, any sane person should take this into account when purchasing anything of significant cost that isn't disposable.

8. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I don't want to get into any big argument here but there is a fundamental problem with that statement. "Worth" is driven by the purchaser/market it's that simple. There isn't any product or service in the world worth $1000 that people are paying $2000 for. If someone knowingly pays $2000 for something, it was worth $2000.

9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

In the case of 30 series cards you can bet the gddr6x has been sat on throttling temps with fans ramped at 100% to keep it flogged at 100% usage 24/7 for the last year to 18 months. You can make assumptions everywhere but most gaming cards probably see 15-20 hours of load a week with a default fan curve and boosting algorithm that nvidia/amd and aibs spend actual money on developing as being fit for purpose. Mining is closer to a commercial use case than anything else the home user would be doing.

Sankari likes this.
  10. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Everyone should definitely buy my SH gear. 15-20 hours a week is a dream I left behind many years ago :D:D:D:upset::upset::upset:

jjjc_93 likes this.
  11. Franc

Franc Member

The amount of people who overclock Gaming GPUs are by far the miniorty of users.

12. RnR

RnR Member

Overclocking in general is just not done. A while back I assembled a gaming pc for my brother, complete with b-die ram... I suggested a mild overclock and he said "Don't do any of that shit" :(

13. power

power Member

it's not just overclocking, a lot of current pc gamers seem to be allergic to even adjusting settings in their games and branding anything that doesn't run at full speed on ultra on their desired combo to be "unoptimized garbage" and if something needs a patch, it is a "buggy mess". They just don't want to think, to which I say - feel free to buy a console if that's the experience you are after.

I mean overclocking is so basic now, the card manufacturer will provide some kind of tool and have a few pre-loaded profiles for you to just you know, use. But no, can't get our hands dirty can we?

Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  14. Sunder

Sunder Member

Clearly didn't stick your head into the console forums of either CP2077 or 7 days to die...

15. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Bit off topic, but in terms of performance, how significant are the gains? a few hundred points in your favourite benchmark software is great and all, but, that doesn't translate from unplayable to playable frame times. I'm not against tweaking some settings, but the fruit isn't always worth the squeeze.

I know game development is hard, but some game developers (companies) need to put some effort into optimisation, or licence middleware that does, instead of relying on the performance increases of hardware. Consoles aren't free of the issues of "optimisation" and "bugs" either.

16. power

power Member

huge, often because my GPU is aging I drop my res from 4K to 1440P to get a massive uptick in performance.

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's a multi-pronged question (overclocking and/or tweaking game settings), but the answer is still the same - you can find significant gains in some titles.

I play a lot of simulators (flight, racing etc) where minimum framerate and consistent frame-time is extremely important, overclocking quite often pulls minimum framerate up by 10-20%, which can mean the difference between 40fps and 60fps (for example).
    As for tweaking graphics settings, I've found settings in games like F1 202x and Dirt Rally 2 (to name a few) where I have seen 30-40% gains in FPS with no perceptible (to me) IQ loss while gaming. As power says, getting your hands dirty, whether by simply selecting manufacturer-provided hardware boosts, or sometimes in software adjusting .ini files seems impenetrable for so many people these days.

18. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

I'm talking about overclocking not graphics settings.

EDIT: Simulators aren't known to be the most cpu\gpu intensive games, out there. Seems the devs could get you that 10-20%, if there intention was for there titles to be played at those resolutions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Depends what part of the GPU you're worried about cooking
    Gaming pushes the GPU hard for short periods
    Mining the ram for long periods

20. The Beast

The Beast Member

We must live on different planets. Simulators are generally THE most CPU/GPU intensive titles. Microsoft Flight Simulator says hi.

That's before you factor in VR (which many of them support) - you cannot get too much GPU power for simulator VR, there is always more super-sampling to turn up!

Overclocking helps enormously here.

This sounds a lot like the "lazy devs" trope. Yes, they can always make compromises to eek out some more performance but they aren't magic. At some point more processing power is required if you want (or require) more frames, more res, or more bling.

Overclocking helps enormously here.