1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Just non LHR
    And yes you'll get an upgrade for the swap

2. fad

fad Member

Diamond hands

alexc likes this.
  3. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

.. Depending on the brand probably $1500-$1650+ each..

New RTX3070 start at $1279
    Buy Colorful RTX 3070 NB Battle-Ax 8GB V2 LHR [$220 OFF] Online, Australia - Evatech
    better brands obviously cost more..

or even a basic RTX3070ti here for $1579
    Buy Colorful iGame RTX 3070TI Ultra OC White 8G Online, Australia - Evatech

if you mine with the 3060ti.. probably worth $6 a day about paying electrical costs..
    so up to $1000, in the next six months.. this is for each card...!!!

You might be better off just mining... instead!!!
    That was my conclusion... after miners kept on snapping up my older cards.. for what I thought was ridiculous prices..

alexc likes this.
  4. alexc

alexc Member

LOL - I dont know, am I just making that up?

I guessed it was the reverse of LRH - like as in High Hash Rate? LOL

I have no idea :-D

Slug69 likes this.
  5. alexc

alexc Member

I've thought about it....

But then they are the kids gaming video cards - and they use their PCs solidly when they are home.

I Have Solar and 2x Tesla Powerwalls though... so I do have excess power.

Maybe I should mine - I thought I was too late to the party! :)

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Perfect setup for mining..

The idea is not to spend any addiotnal funds on money...
    Buying additional cards for mining is probably silly at this time, given the market, could crash at any stage, and mining is likely to become relaitvley unprofitable with the introduction of the ethereum change over..

If you have the gear and cheap power.... its all profit..

use the nicehash quick miner.. easy to setup..
    Dashboard (nicehash.com)

setup for lite or efficient mining..

All three of my kids, have 20xx series cards... all have been mining since May 2021...
    perfect during winter.. (cut down my gas heating bills).. but now.. getting a little bit warm..

It may seem silly.. tring to get $6 or $7 dollars day... but it adds up very very quickly..
    after three months.. thats pretty much $500 a card... after 6months nearly $1000 for each Rtx3070.. alittle much if you are not paying for power..

I suggest, passivley collecting the bitcoin and holding on..
    Think of it as a cheap way of investing into crypto currency... (if you don't need the cash)
    In a few years time, if it explodes.. you have a little nest egg..
    else.. your have lost nothing, but time and your spare power..

3 years ago, I did three months of mining of a pair of 1070 for ethereum and
    three months of mining on a pair of 1080ti for bitcoin (via nicehash).

Last year. I checked up what the small amount I mined was worth.. together I think, the crypto was worth around $6000 .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  7. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Those are the finest cards for mining and would still be very valuable even when ETH goes proof of stake. Don’t let them out of your possession unless you get market price.

8. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

There are plenty of other coins to mine once Eth changes over.

Trizae likes this.
  9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

But the amount of Hash devoted to ethereum well exceeds the hashrate of most of the other coins put together..

If I remember Etherate hash rate is ten time the amount of the next major coin.

If / when all the preivous hash rate devoted to ethereum moves across to the alt coins.. it will pretty much saturate these coins and fling the dificulty to the stratosphere..

I watched a few nice videos... promoting coin mining..... claiming their etheruem changer over will be fine.. and that even with the redistribution of hash rate.. ining is still profitable.... their optimistic calculators, had the earnings for a 3060ti goingfoorm around $4 - usd /day (after electrical costs) to around USD$ 0.50 to $1.00 /day with electricaly at aorund USD$0.10kw/h.. although still profitable... its pretty much economical for most people to mine..

At the moment... it is stupidly profitable to mine... hence the very high price of Nvidia FHR cards and scondhand GTX 10x0 and GTX 20x0 series cards.

GTX 1080ti are worth $750 on the forums here.. and closer to a $1000 on ebay...
    there's pretty day USD $2.30 of profit a day in each on these cards..
    aussming 6 months of mining left..

thats $544 of profit... plus you still have the card ..

at the end of six months.. the card, would have only cost you $206 (assuming you bought it from the forums here for $750..)

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

The question is when to get out... and reduce the amount of cards.. mining...

MIning is still profitiable, cards a worth a lot of cash...
    Weather is warming up now..

Probably an good time to start closing up stop and rationalising down.. to whatver cards, you are prepared to keep long term..

The problems is that mining is still SO profitable at the moment..!!!

11. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

The thing about the 3060Ti's are how efficient they are at mining. These and 3070's probably have most efficiency and highly sought after by miners. A new Full hash rate 3070 sells for $2,200 these days. Second hand they are probably 2 grand. 3060Ti's at full hash rate aren't even sold new anymore from what I can tell.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Free power would be nice, and will be the determining factor for many when eth goes down
    At 0.29kw/hr I pay I need super efficiency to bother

That said I'd expect another coin/s to pop up for mining, just a matter of when

13. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

I just picked up a RX 6600 (Sapphire Pulse edition) and a XFX RX 6600 to compare them and keep the better one, the Pulse was 745 last week at Mwave, they sold out of that batch but more stock arrived this week and they are now asking 799 for the pulse. I picked up the XFX for 699 from PLE, its dual bios and seems to be the better buy, I have this feeling prices are about to crash as both cards are still in stock 3 days later... Winter is coming...

arytel likes this.
  14. r3s

r3s Member

Winter is coming if ETH price crashes, vut if it keeps hitting ATH after ATH then its still highly profitable and will remain the same.

If you setup your gear properly with good airflow heat isnt an issue :)

By good airflow i mean exhausting the heat either into a roof cavity or externally, anyone recycling air with fast fans in closed rooms dont have a hope of keeping temps down without AC in the hotter months.

Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  15. randomman

randomman Member

Holy shit. Not even 6600 XT?!

Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  16. The Beast

The Beast Member

I replied to this a day ago but either I didn't pressed post or a mod deleted it without notice... either way, odd.

What I said in essence was that I think the reason the 6600 is still in stock is because it's not a very good product. It barely competes with an RTX 2070 or an RX 5700, which for $700-$800 AUD is a bitter pill to swallow.

Mining performance is ok per watt, but not ok per $.

Eth isn't crashing, and if it dips again just buy the dip, I doubled my money last time. Eth 2.0 will see Eth increase substantially next year - no need to sell any hardware yet (just my humble and unqualified opinion).

17. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

If we're all lucky the new US crypto regulation that makes it a felony to fail to report transactions worth over $10k will destroy crypto boom once and for all.

18. Snoops

Snoops Member

They did in it Australia for cash and it didn't kill off the AUD.. Why do you think it would have any impact at all?

19. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Pretty sure this was all factored into the price of Crypto a couple of months ago when the regs were mooted.

I am at a loss now as to why crypto is still powering ahead and I am getting really concerned now that bigger people than I know something I don't about the US/World economy.

20. Sunder

Sunder Member

Oh I don't know about that, cash use was dropping already, but it seems to me like the 2010 to 2013 period when the law was introduced was a bit bigger? (Maybe about the same as the 2016 to 2019 one?) And that's for something that was 97% legitimate use, 3% tax avoidance/criminal. If you could no longer pay corporate ransomware with crypto, and criminals need to cash out in 8-9k amounts regularly, would it still be as popular?

upload_2021-11-8_16-0-42.png