1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. RnR

RnR Member

The price of gold have been trending sideways for the year. If there are concerns about the US/World economy, gold would have been trending upwards.

upload_2021-11-8_15-4-59.png

From https://goldprice.org/

2. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Gold is becoming irrelevant in finance.

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  3. RnR

RnR Member

Then the price would have dropped massively.

4. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

it has value in industry but it’s a pain to trade in.

5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Mainstream adoption. Big banks, wall street and billionaire businessmen/companies are buying in. It hasn't happened at this level anytime before and just wait, we aint seen nothing yet. Wait till proper etf's (not futures) and super funds get exposure.

It's a boomer commodity and boomers are still alive. As slug says, it is irrelevant now but it will take time to collapse, it wont happen overnight.

upload_2021-11-8_18-52-12.png

woohooo gold finally got back to it's 2011 price range this year. Only took a decade lol

BTC up 65000%
    ETH up 10000%

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

yeah I think you got to start realising that crypto is hear to stay. Reporting it just means you pay tax on it, you still make money, maybe just not as much or you factor it into your other tax minimisation plan

7. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Not sure it's meant to compete with any of those cards though, buying a GPU in 2021 is a hard pill to swallow. It's been a great little card for what I'm using it for; 1080p Gaming at Med-High on a 144Hz display. I think the XFX card may be a little better on temps and possibly core speed (mem is capped at 1900MHz) but I'd like to just flick the OC switch on it and game rather than tamper with AMD's lacklustre software/driver combination. The "auto" OC function in the Radeon software creeps the core as close to 2500 as possible but I've seen it jump over 2600 for a few seconds at at time. These are pretty insane times and I think they may be here to stay for a while longer. Will defo be putting one of them to work mining as soon as I get my hands on the XFX, as I don't think selling one off will be feasible now that stock levels are holding.

8. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

I wonder if the GPU prices will start dropping as mining on LHR cards continue to close in on non-LHR cards hashrates. My 3060ti LHR currently gets 76% of a non-LHR 3060ti.

9. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Wouldn't that result in a price hike? If I can mine as well on a LHR card, they'd become more desirable, would have thought that would contribute to raising the value hence the prices?

10. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

That's one way to look at it i suppose, mine was the over inflated prices would drop because more people would buy the LHR cards for mining.

11. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Again, if more people are buying a product that is already in short supply, how will this drive down the prices? Sorry not following your logic. Unless there is a surge in supply or a downfall in demand prices will continue to rise. Eventually there may be a flood of cards due to mining not being a thing anymore and this should drive prices down, If that happens that will be the only way prices would normalise or descend in a meaningful way.

12. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Eldest had his 780 Ti hand me down fail over the weekend, it would boot to windows, but had pretty big artefacts/corruption even on the text screens, then crash soon in windows once it was up.

Not replacing it in this market!
    upload_2021-11-9_12-32-8.png

Tear down, clean up, and in to the oven at 180 degrees for 10 mins. Win!

13. groovetek

groovetek Member

Good win, but you'll need it at about 215-225 for a longer term repair. See if you can get 3-4 months out of it with your 10 minute bake. I've done this so many times and yeah, 215-225 is where it's at!

Umbrella Corp. and RnR like this.
  14. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Good to know. Yeah my first bake so was conservative to say the least!

15. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

It is a great trick... I remember doing this to my GeForce 4800.
    At least it made it last another 24 months with multiple baking.

LOL I am showing my age.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  16. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

If it happens again, try running a heat gun over dry solder points and the GPU. Have resurrected my fair share of GPUs this way. The oven trick is also a good one, Rosman may disagree though :)

17. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Everything I could see the solder was nice and shiny. I was sort of assuming it was a memory module, looked a bit like you pushed the memory clock WAY too high, so if it occurs again I might just use the gun on the memory chips.

Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I've succeed with this method before, but it only gave ~6 months worth of life back into my card before instability returned.

I purchased a GTX 1660 Super late 2020 for $330 AU, and currently the same model is going for $440... so a new GPU isn't going to break the bank, but still not the best pricing.

19. CRTified

CRTified Member

My last graphics card purchase. 2 years ago. Of an already 2 year old card. Barely over $100 landed, at the time. Still running strong, in it's modest fashion.

Which is at least 2/3 the performance of the above "bargain $330 in late 2020, and $440 now".

:lol::lol::lol:
    card.jpg

With the way things changed over the past year or two, I am out of the graphics card market entirely, permanently / for the foreseeable future. I will play the past 30-40 years worth of games instead thanks, and never run dry.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  20. groovetek

groovetek Member

Haha! Gotta go back and get a new high score for Pong then hey.