1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. z3099528

z3099528 Member

2. z3099528

z3099528 Member

A bit left field, but it may have some remote distant knock on effect on prices: USA set to introduce anti scalper bot bill

https://www.pcmag.com/news/democrats-push-bill-to-outlaw-bots-from-snatching-up-online-goods

The bicameral bill will crack down on cyber Grinches using ‘bot’ technology to quickly buy up whole inventories of popular holiday toys and resell them to parents at higher prices,” the lawmakers said in a statement.

Tonko, Blumenthal, and Schumer originally introduced the legislation in November 2019 to stop scalper-run bots from snatching up in-demand holiday toys from consumers. Since then, the problem has exploded since retailers are largely selling the newest video game consoles and PC graphics cards online.

“The average holiday shopper is unable to compete with the light speed of the all-too-common Grinch bot and are then held at ransom by scalpers and third-party resellers when trying to buy holiday presents,” Schumer said in the announcement. "After a particularly trying year, no parent or American should have to fork over hundreds—or even thousands—of dollars to buy Christmas and holiday gifts for their children and loved ones."

The proposed legislation expands on an earlier law passed in 2016 that outlawed automated bots from circumventing control measures to buy up ticket sales for public events, such as music concerts and sporting events. In addition, the law made it illegal for scalpers to resell the tickets obtained through the bot.

The Stopping Grinch Bots Act would apply the same principles to all online retail sites. The US Federal Trade Commission would be tasked with enforcement.

RnR and nope like this.
  3. The Beast

The Beast Member

A) Poor reference, the Grinch didn't steal presents to resell and make money.
    B) The Grinch only acted the way he did because society rejected him in the first place. The cause of the problem was not the Grinch per se, but the prejudices and economic disparity of Who-Ville society.
    C) The Grinch, despite his actions, noticed that people ignored his most malicious activity and continued to be merry and have fun, thus they eventually won over his conflicted heart.
    D) Nothing the Whos actively did to stop the Grinch worked, ultimately he chose to stop.

4. Elmf

Elmf Member

I'll continue waiting for bots to stop buying cheap RTX cards then ;):upset:

151528 likes this.
  5. nope

nope Member

good fuck scalpers and bots

TRG.dOinK likes this.
  6. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I can only laugh on the reflection that I have owned more GPUs this year than I have before in my life. The one little benefit of high prices for owners has been that once you pay the entry price you can pretty much get your money back and swap around as you like. I either sold one to fund the next or straight up swapped.

3080 tuf oc
    6700xt sapphire
    6900xt red devil
    3080 ftw3
    3090 strix

What a ride.

Elmf likes this.
  7. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Lol, so much chopping and changing, love it.

I'm pretty happy to end up on a 3080ti for roughly $1800 out of pocket after taking advantage of high market value of the FHR 3080 I had.

That will probably never happen again, selling a piece of gear for significantly more than purchase price over a year later.

8. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

I sold my 3080 at cost and had the windscreen cracked on my car on the way home from posting it, for my troubles. Should have held on to it for a few extra weeks.

groovetek and Elmf like this.
  9. 151528

151528 Member

If anything the buyer went to all the trouble by paying you for it, the least you could do is take it to the post office :Pirate:

ashenIC likes this.
  10. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Things would have been better if I hadn't bought the card.

Back on topic, prices on 3060's tier cards have improved slightly.

11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I think they're very very slowly going to even out and come down, stock of a lot of different GPUs is starting to sit on shelves for time that can be measured in days now, I hope thats a good sign. I think I've become one of those assholes that buys the latest gen just because so I don't want to get reamed too hard for navi3/4000.

12. z3099528

z3099528 Member

There's a rumour floating around that nvidia is launching a 2060 12gb with 2060 super clocks December 7. hopefully by the time Intel hits the market there should be enough mid to low end options to place more downward pressure on the market.

13. RnR

RnR Member

Unfortunately the Australian dollar is going downwards :/

14. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

BTC ~80K AUD.
    :-/

15. Cap One

Cap One Member

Capture.PNG

Unframed, RnR, havabeer and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Beast

The Beast Member

[​IMG]

17. z3099528

z3099528 Member

18. z3099528

z3099528 Member

Khanage, Cap One and adamsleath like this.
  19. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Is it just me or are things starting to cool down a bit? Seems there is a hesitation of sorts in FS threads as well as new stock staying in stock for quite a while. Also bitcoin has crashed severely from 80K AUD to 66K today... Something's around the corner.

20. The Beast

The Beast Member

This isn't crypto crashing, it's the entire market sliding for reasons various (including Omicron). None of it indicates a pressure relief on GPUs I'm afraid, in fact if anything it indicates prolonged supply chain issues.

This is a decent article to explain: Bitcoin, Ethereum Down 6% as Uncertainty Around Fed Taper Lingers - Decrypt

z3099528 likes this.