1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

yep even poor old woolworths shares are down (4.5billion... yes billion....shaved off) due to covid and pandemic stuff costing a ton more then predicted reducing profits.

so you know... times are tough.

don't feel too bad though woolworths are still posting a 1.2billion dollar profit

2. z3099528

z3099528 Member

Just when you thought the supply chain couldn't get any more stuffed... now the local truck haulage industry looks like it's going to have to ration Adblue till March/April next year.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-15/adblue-local-producer-secure-urea-diesel-crisis/100699832

Also Nvidia has supposedly delayed the launch of their new variants 3070 Ti 16gb & 3090 Ti 24gb until late January - looks like a post Chinese New years launch (Feb 1), but I suppose we will know more after CES.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...-rtx-3070ti-16gb-rtx-3090ti-still-on-schedule
    2060 12gb was "launched" and is supposedly ramping up (still non-existent in Aus) - it should land between current 2060 and 3060 prices.

It's looking more and more likely that AIBs, distributors and AMD/Nvidia are trying to ride these high prices well into 2022 unless something comes along to crash prices (most likely Miners selling off just before eth proof of stake - June 2022), which means optimistically we will have 1-2 quarters of normal priced current gen before RTX40 & RX7000 arrive in Q3 & Q4 respectively.
    https://www.gamecentric.co/featured...prices-and-power-consumption-have-been-leaked

3. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Thats all well and good folks, but the GPU's are not being 'snapped up' as they used to be. I think the negative impact on the other mechanisms you discussed is also impacting on consumer confidence this time around? I'm just not seeing the crazy sales in Forums/Scumtree/Fleebay anymore. I mean the prices are still nuts but they seemed to have come down around the 2-300AUD mark and the low-mid range cards are just sitting on shelves (6600/6600XT etc...).

Theres something thats just not quite right, also its the season for buying and selling and there is just not the same activity.

4. pezzy

pezzy Member

i do notice there are more stock available. if i really wanted a 3080, i can buy one now at a retail store albeit for a premium. were getting closer to the round of people who arent willing to fork out 2k for one. will probably see more stock fly off shelves when they reduce them down to sub 2k. then it will probably be another round of waiting for the cheapskates like me who want one close to the original rrp.

Umbrella Corp. likes this.
  5. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I think it's a case of there's not many people left in AUS willing to pay stupid prices, even the $1650 powercolor 6800xt pccg had going for a couple of weeks never sold out. But because they still sell out in US and other countries at high prices the distributers etc don't want to drop prices much.

6. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

I''d like to get my hands on a 3080Ti to replace the 1080Ti, I will then not upgrade again for 6 years lol... Also a major tight...

heller44 likes this.
  7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

If you are going to wait that long to upgrade again just hold out another 12 months for the next generation. Rumour mill is pumping and performance bumps look tasty

8. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

I want to see what the 3080 12gb prices at. Same cores at 3080, memory bandwidth of 3080 Ti, might be decent value until 40 series

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

GEFORCE RTX 3090 XTREME 24GB - $3799.00 AUD (sold out)

b a r g a i n . . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    power likes this.
  10. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

I remember when you cold buy and entire flagship system for 3799. Oh man I am old...

11. z3099528

z3099528 Member

12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

You kinda still can. I sold a 3080 and 5600x build to somebody for 3.5k a few weeks ago. Maybe not flagship by exact models but when gaming the difference between that and a 5950x and 3090 setup is in the few percentile. The top top end has just got a bit silly.

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

^^^^ This. Also Intel ARC hits in Q1/2 next year, has the potential to shake the market up somewhat.

14. z3099528

z3099528 Member

nv has prob delayed their refreshed to time them in sync with the ARC launch

15. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

ebay listings that I've saved for 5700XT/RX580 8GB cards have been relisted twice now, this is unprecedented. Not sure what's happening with 30 series but it seems they are getting harder to move on, on here and other sights. I think people are holding off as some are waiting to see what Intel are bringing to table and people have had enough of paying the GPU tax. Like others have said, those who have bought during the last period are now sticking with what they have and demand is slowly but surely drying up, if it continues to dry up in the next few months prices should drop significantly enough for the next round of stock to hit the shelves. Not considering a swing away from proof of work and the possible release of pulse (replacing ETH possibly) should mean we return to normalish prices sooner than expected? Very exciting times folks...

16. 151528

151528 Member

IMO people are just waiting to see how crypto holds up over xmas/nye, once people see it's not diving those gpu's will be snapped up

I think people underestimate the amount of casual miners around... the big players aren't buying their gpu's one at a time on ebay

17. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Of course, what you think some chinese mining factory is sitting there waiting for a retailer, wholesaler or auction website? They're going direct to the factories, which is an insult to every normal gamer trying to get ONE card, where nvidia claim unprecedented demand... because all the stock is going directly to miners before wholesalers can get any.

Meh, end of the day, these miners know the new cards are around the corner and coming, so they're going to hold from buying old models and then mass buy the new models and sell the old for a profit. A no win situation unless you join in on the game.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  18. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

If they are going to dump the old cards on mass, surely they won't be making any king of profit as there would be a massive influx of supply all of a sudden, with the enthusiasts also buying up stock of the new release models it would also help with supply of the older cards... I just want a 3080 for MSFS 2020 :-(

19. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

They hold the stock, and they can drip feed them out if they wanted to, I'm sure they're still making profit, even if it does dip.

And how can an enthusiast buy up stock when the stock doesn't even get handed to the wholesalers? And how can a enthusiast afford the new cards unless they join in on the ponzi scheme?

And I understand you want a new card, be prepaid for $4k for new cards to pay for leather jacket mans McMansion
    #gtx770_4_life

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  20. z3099528

z3099528 Member

how far did the prices on cards fall at the end of the last crypto crash? it'd be interesting to see if there is any data on the amount of cards on ebay and the avg selling price straight after