1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

Eth kind of fell bugger all really, it was bit coin that took a bit if a tumble and it doesnt use gpus to mine.

Do i dont think you'll find a mass panic sell. That will come when eth 2.0 moves to proof of stake.

z3099528 and The Beast like this.
  2. groovetek

groovetek Member

Saw this yesterday featuring this card.

Spyder6052 likes this.
  3. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

damn thats shiny.... like that errr case? frame.

wow just seen how much that case is worth 1.5K just for the case is a little bit overkill

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. The Beast

The Beast Member

Miners waaaahhhhhhh.

The 3090Ti is going to set a whole new level of crazy street pricing, especially if it's FHR.

Trizae, SnooP-WiggleS and adamsleath like this.
  5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index

$$$$ and fps per dollar :D

on the linked chart 3090 has by far the most revenues in dollars and the least fps/$ <3
    3060ti second for revenues overall.

6600xt showing highest fps/$ (2.55X that of the 3090)

3060ti@ 79% of 6600xt in terms of fps/$ ...whatever pricings they used and averaged fps etc....
    and cartage hikes, materials. super doopery dooo.
    ===

yes. another tier of scalping between the disties/resellers and that sweat shop factory in ...wherever. pricey.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    z3099528 likes this.
  6. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

I am content with my 3060 Ti.
    Pretty impress with the performance for 34" wide monitors.
    Not a big gamer so I don't really know I am the right candidate to comment.

7. groovetek

groovetek Member

Haha, love it.

I had a quick skim through the comments and the truth is, it does seem many (not all) PC/Gaming enthusiasts are quite disconnected from reality.

One of the comments was something like "this product appeals to the miners and the 5 gamers out there who can afford this (3090Ti)". I know this kind of comment is intended to be an exaggeration, but no, just no.

As expensive as it seems to spend $5k on a PC, it's so insignificant in contrast to many other passions, be it cars/motorcycles, HiFi, jewellery/watches, fashion, other luxury goods, etc.

The reality is lots of PC enthusiasts/gamers who aren't high school or uni kids will buy and enjoy a 3090Ti, and good for them.

8. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

i dont think i could justify spending that much on a card, shit paying nearly 1.5K for my 3080 was bad enough, let alone another 2.5K for a 3090ti that will be 30-40% better??

hvalac likes this.
  9. The Beast

The Beast Member

Lucky if it's 20% better than the 3080.

10. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Wake me up when lovelace drops.

z3099528 and pH@tTm@N like this.
  11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Yes! New tech, launch week banter and memes, come at me.

jjjc_93 likes this.
  12. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Not feeling very passionate with these prices and the other associated costs of gaming.

13. z3099528

z3099528 Member

It'd be nice if the 3080 12gb launched close to cost, but it's not going to happen

I just can't justify the mark up when you can buy other parts for the pc rig enthusiast at normal prices, I've picked up a new triple monitor stand, new cpu, water cooling, seat, headphone amp at normal prices. Once next gen gpus drop at least the low end will be faster than my rx480.

My only gripe is I should've pulled the trigger on a new gpu before I went triple monitor but you win some, you lose some i suppose. Also this gpu cycle has taught me much about the details of supply and demand which is both fun and depressing at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2022
  14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Totally disagree... the reality is most PC enthusiasts/gamers will not spend that kind of money for a GPU only. And doing this just makes the younger generation to loose interest in PC Gaming and not get into it, and I understand complete why it makes no sense, better off with a console.

The only one's buying this is miners, that's it. Rename it 3090 Miners Edition.

groovetek likes this.
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

seeing a bit more shift downwards in 2nd hand card availability and pricing in the market, likely due to the drop in eth/btc of late and merge coming up in 6 months maybe some people getting out.
    More likely is that the same availability shift for new stuff means more people upgrading (3060/3060ti pricing while still awful technically has improved a fair bit)

16. groovetek

groovetek Member

I agree and disagree at the same time haha... a few points to consider:
    • At current ETH prices (and network hash rate), an RTX 3090 Ti will generate around USD$5 profit per day. If these end up being USD$4k the way people are saying they will be, and say the residual "worth it for gaming" value is USD$1k, then it would take 600 days of mining, before actual profits can start being made. With proof-of-work mining realistically ending in 4-6 months, this does not make it an attractive option for mining.
    • In reality, anyone just getting into mining now and purchasing new cards at street prices, with the intent to mine ETH for cash rewards until The Merge, is setting themselves up for some pain in the future.
    • How many people in the world would spend USD$4k on a 3090 Ti? You don't have to be an existing PC enthusiast/gamer. You could be a generally wealthy person that just wants a great VR experience, you could be a not-so-wealthy person that just enjoys the best visuals that consoles won't be able to offer and would rather a $5k PC than putting it towards a house deposit.
    • When I was in Year 10 and the Geforce 2 Ultra came round at something close to AU$1000, that didn't make me lose interest in PC Gaming. I just bought a Geforce 2 MX for $200 or so instead. I agree, if <$400 cards (considering inflation since 20+ years ago) don't exist for the next couple of years, that could cause the younger gen to lose interest in PC Gaming.
    • Lots of things consoles can't do vs a PC.

17. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

with a 3090Ti any decent rig is going to be far north of 5K, shit just look at the price of mobo's, cpu's and ram let alone everything else

18. pezzy

pezzy Member

im someone who would spend stupid amounts of money on the later but yet i cant justify dropping 2k on a gpu lol. i think for me, its knowing theres been such a large discrepancy between current prices and what was suppose to be the rrp. its a hard pill for me to swallow. this could change when they release the new 3080 without a rrp or a much higher rrp. damn mind games.

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

This. Not attractive to miners AT ALL.

20. r3s

r3s Member

until the next variant comes along and screws production further.