1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy video card pricing 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

Let's not forget that and 2nd hand market pricing influences will be region-specific. Most of the big mining operations are in China, Russia, Iceland, the US or various 'Stans'. I don't think in Australia or where I am in Western Europe we'll suddenly see a flood of 2nd hand cards that are accessible to gamers. Sure, you can always fleabay internationally - but that makes many people pretty nervous and rightfully so - the scammers will be hard at work looking to fleece people who think they have found a "great deal on a used mining card".

I definitely thing hobbyist miners will start to sell cards in the lead up to and after the merge, but it won't be enough to saturate the market and with new GPU prices likely to remain astronomically high there will be no reason for people to take slash their second-hand pricing. Just my 2c.

2. Current

Current Member

what's the difference between this and the 3060 then ? they are about the same price >?

3. The Beast

The Beast Member

groovetek

On topic, Nvidia are once again normalizing much higher MSRP for all their cards. Looks like the 3080 12Gb is going to be a USD $1000+ MSRP card.... that's compared the OG 3080 which was USD $700.

I dislike MLID, but he's mostly right here:

But seriously, this is a decent article on it:
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 vs. RTX 2060: Should you upgrade? | Windows Central

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Have to have rocks in your head to buy a 2060 over a 3060, will see what the price goes down to once its beyond "launch"

5. groovetek

groovetek Member

Makes sense - I'd do the same if I were Nvidia. So I guess a few interesting factors on reducing ex-mining RTX 30 series values by the end of 2022:
    1. The Merge actually takes place.
    2. No magical new Proof-of-Work GPU-mineable coin becomes hyper-profitable.
    3. RTX 40 series MSRP/RRP vs performance. No doubt a 4080 would need to be at least 20%+ above a 3090/Ti in gaming performance, if they want to safely hold off RDNA3, so Nvidia can't completely take the piss here (i.e. over $1000 MSRP for 4080 may be pushing their luck).
    4. RTX 40 series availability. Guess is likely to be abit worse than RTX 30 series at launch.
    5. RDNA3 MSRP/RRP vs performance. No doubt AMD wants to take performance lead this time round, putting some real pressure on Nvidia do not overplay the market.
    6. RDNA3 availability. Guess is likely to be as bad as RDNA2 at launch.
    7. Intel Arc MSRP/RRP vs performance, and that it isn't riddled with driver problems. If so, then RTX 4060 and RX 7600XT type products can't be stupidly priced.
    8. Intel Arc availability. Guess is slightly better than RTX 40 series and RDNA3 will be, but probably no better than RTX 30 series at launch.
    Depending how the above plays out, I still believe that by the end of 2022, RTX 3090's will have dropped to USD$1000 or slightly under. Will be fun to watch the year unfold.

power likes this.
  6. Snoops

Snoops Member

Re 3&4: I do not think demand will be that high for 4000 series (and whatever AMD has on offer) - It seems a trend that most skip a generation and the 30' series was such an improvement those who had been holding out finally upgraded. Also we have kind of hit a wall when it comes to fidelity/resolution/Hz.

2: I guess it depends how early most miners got in. Those who bought up big late 2020/early 2021 have well and truly made ROI and even if we are down to 30% returns post the merge it would still be better to keep mining shit-coins on hardware that owes you nothing.

But yeah who really knows what the market does.. I think we will see older gen (10 series/AMD 5xx/Vega/5700) have a huge drop in average cost but the 30' series will return to approx the original RRP..

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

Only problem is that Lovelace is rumoured to be an even bigger step forward than Ampere was to Turing - so I think (guess) it will actually be in high demand.

I just reinstalled CP2077 yesterday, I had to tweak the living crap out of it and run DLSS just to get 60-80fps on my watercooled 3080. We've still got plenty of room for moar powaaaaa.

I agree, made the same point earlier.... but I wonder how that equation changes if the 4000 series or RDNA3 are say 50% better at mining whatever the next profitable POW coin is? Round and round the buoy we go.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Snoops likes this.
  8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i'm confident there will be a 10k priced mainstream graphics card in the not too distant future as BTC rises exponentially.

lol. you are welcome to all of them. :)
    and the 20k priced ones too you can have all of them when they come. :)

you're welcome.

as well as nft's. you can have all those too. with all your crypto fortunes. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  9. The Beast

The Beast Member

10. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

There is still headroom for growth in 4k gaming. I suspect those that can afford them in the past two years faced with an upgrade of a monitor would be looking at 4k high refresh rate monitors. 3090 does not fill a 4k monitor at 144HZ in a shootemup like COD. I suspect though that any generations of cards beyond the next would be more focused on heat/noise reduction rather than any performance gains in the order we saw when 3000 series cards released and AMD's offerings.

RnR likes this.
  11. groovetek

groovetek Member

The less polished AAA titles are (and 2021 was a great example of this), the less graphically optimized they are as well, which means 3080/3090 class cards can still be brought to their knees at 4k. This, plus mounting competition from AMD, there ain't no way RTX 4080 is only 20% faster than an RTX 3080. Time will tell, but I'll say that an RTX 4080 will outperform an RTX 3080 on average by 35-40% at 4K.

The Beast likes this.
  12. Sankari

Sankari Member

Serial killers in 2022:

[​IMG]

:wired: :Paranoid:

sanjay, Unframed, MoutainDew and 3 others like this.
  13. z3099528

z3099528 Member

2 interesting articles about the current supply chain mess:

1-
    https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing...sting-us-manufacturing-what-you-need-to-know/

2 - this October 2021 article eluded me but big blue (IBM) reckon an end the shortage in 2023-2024, a much more pessimistic opinion when compared to AMD (H2 2022)and Intel (2023) https://www.crn.com/news/components...age-more-likely-continuing-until-2023-or-2024

I think we may see an ease in demand and prices these next few months as the 3050 (Jan 27), 6500xt (Jan 19) and Intel arc gpus release (q1, 2022), but miners....
    Hopefully Intel should bring genuine competition if their launch goes well.

The other thing that may alleviate the demand is eth proof of stake, roll-out ETA is some time in June this year, provided it doesn't get pushed back further

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  14. RnR

RnR Member

15. Snoops

Snoops Member

TRG.dOinK likes this.
  16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  17. micsway123

micsway123 Member

at today's prices, is $1500 a good price for a 3070 Ti? PLE selling the FTW3 at the moment.

18. RnR

RnR Member

Good supply now for cpu's and gpu's. Just not anywhere near the RRP. AMD's online store is still releasing cards at the RRP, but stock lasts < 5mins. Bots are rife.
    I think this is more their partners. AMD and Nvidia are just turning a blind eye.

See if you can wait to Q2 and see what competition Intel can bring to the table. Intel should be competitive in the midrange.

19. ska'

ska' Member

Struggling to understand the continual market segmentation with additional SKU's when supply can't keep up as it is.

Other than just a pure profit gouge, it just ends up being not great for consumers, with (Nvidia) having 5 cards covering what is a very small performance difference (3080 10gb, 3080 12gb, 3080ti, 3090, incoming 3090ti).

20. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Nvidia have been watching the AIB's, distributers, wholesalers, shops, scalpers make huge markups.

So stop making the "cheap" cards, introduce new cards with a bit fat margin so nvidia can keep making record profits for their shareholders like any other big tech company