Crazy video card pricing 2021

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Slug69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I originally came from two matching 25" 1080 monitors and originally only replaced one with the 34", but the physical size difference as well as PPI difference meant it didn't work for me. I'm now running a 34" 3440 x 1440 and a 27" 2560 x 1440 These work out to be almost exactly the same vertical height which means they are almost identical in PPI so moving things from one window to another doesn't get funky.

Of course, this does mean I have two non-matching monitors, and the 27" is IPS where the 34" isn't so there is some difference, but it's not jarring with a little tweaking of the panels. I did consider a second 34" screen, but ultimately decided against it for a couple of reasons.

#1 - It's bloody HUGE! Two of them really would have seen me physically turning my head from side to side to cover the 1.6M of screen I would have. While my desk is big enough to accommodate it, I just don't know that it would have been right.
    #2 - It would have meant having a left and right monitor which means gaming (or working) off to one side. With 2 x 25" units both were pretty much right in front with just under 1.2M total width. It didn't take too much to see both, I feel like two 34" really would mean 'off to one side'... as it is the 27" feels like it's free far off to one side. I actually feel like 2 x 34" monitors would work better one on top of the other, but not something I'm setup to try even with the current units.

Now I did get into this for gaming and the extra side to side view. On reflection do I think it's worth it?? Yes and no. It's nice to have, but probably not as ground breaking as I thought it might be. Productivity wise though I feel like it's a win. All of that said, I think had I of just purchased a pair of higher resolution 27" units it would have been almost as much of a step up. Mind you I would still have the same downside of my USBC dock not being up to the task and still would need more graphics power than 1080 gaming requires.

I looked at those sort of models where it is really the resolution of two monitors side by side... but one and without the bezel. But pricing it madness unless you're doing something that really benefits from not having that bezel (and have the power to drive it). For most people it's probably cheaper and easier to just buy THREE monitors! While I know there are tools, I'm a heavy user of the 'snap to edge function' of Windows and having physical monitors creates more edges to snap to.

Yehat and Wozzernux like this.
  2. Snoops

Snoops Member

I use the powertoy "FancyZones" which allow you to divide up a physical monitor into zones.. Have a look, it works quite well..

3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Just dipping into this thread after trying to sort out a mate. 3070s going for the price I paid for my 3080 and 3080's going for the price of what were cheap 3090's :Paranoid:

Also being on 34" UW for little while now, I'm a bit mixed on it, it definitely has a place, it's great for productivity and media consumption. It also works well for some games but not others, specifically ones where you don't need to alt-tab out to other windows all the time. You can set up an 27" 1440p on the side but at that point it becomes a bit much.

Trialling the 34" + an ipad at the moment, content that I used to display on a second screen doesn't typically require the real estate of a full screen, plus touch screen is nice.

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

We're way off topic now, but I'm using my 48" CX as I'm working from home at least three days a week at the moment and there is a easily enough real estate for 3x A4 side by side. 4K makes everything so crisp it's hard to go back. Got a 1440p 27" off to the side and it looks like a toy monitor in comparison.

How have I not known about this?

Game changer, thank you!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

3060 non ti walking out the doors at 900 to well over $1k on ebay.. that's a real head scratcher . Certainly can't be for mining value .

what am I missing with this one

6. Snoops

Snoops Member

It is not just miners driving up the price/creating demand.. But you are banging your head against a wall trying to explain that to OCAU...

mAJORD likes this.
  7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

The hashrate limiter has been bypassed by a borked driver release from nvidia. It is now a 48-50mhs card for people who know how to get them going, slightly better performer than a 6700xt.

Nvidia cards are also more popular in general (look at steam charts) so I am sure they are a preference for many gamers when buying over slightly more expensive amd cards. I've never claimed that miners are the only thing driving demand and high prices, but it is interesting to see which cards are being snapped up at what prices (5700xt vs 6700xt is a teller).

8. Snoops

Snoops Member

Not entirely true.. Still requires at least x8 lanes and a display/dummy connected.. So not useful in mining rigs. But I think its great that PC's with a single gpu like this can benefit from mining if they choose to do so.

And yeah, NV is the more popular choice.. Even simple things like NV Voice etc would make it a better buy for a WFH situation.

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I thought their "unlimited" hashrate was more like low to mid 40's , which for $1k is terrible, and then on top has the abovementioned lot of BS to get around the limiter.

Gaming perf also terrible for $1k . need more than little features for that one to make sense!

10. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Well there is that article that everyone picked up on the 7x 3060 rig with riser cables so somebody has found a way to run 7 cards with x8 lanes (or circumvent that requirement) but yeah I agree the 3060 would be far from the first choice for big mining setups. No issues at all with people mining on their home setups either, I'm not sure I have an issue with miners in general I just draw general conclusions based on the popularity of cards and what people are paying for them. The issue I have I think is big operations that are managing to grab cards out of the chain before they're in the retail system for everyone to have a chance at, but that's buying power for you.

Agree on NV being more feature rich for sure. If a 3070 could be found in stock for close to msrp, that would have been my choice.

11. Snoops

Snoops Member

Yep, even as a [small? medium size?] miner that gives me the willies, but that is how the world works and if I had that buying power I would be doing the same I imagine.

12. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I have done a full 180 degree turn on the 3060.

I think the way they nerfed it was pretty good. Its a bit of a fiddle for industrial miners to use this card. For home users to use effectively you need PCIe lanes. That is why I recently purchased a second hand threadripper and X399 MSI fatality mobo! Got a good deal. This will allow me to increase the amount of cards I have for the same amount of boxes we have.

upload_2021-4-13_21-6-3.png upload_2021-4-13_21-13-19.png

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. zbone

zbone Member

You are generating CO2, not wealth, ffs.
    Full retardation in this thread is wide opening, frankly.

SLIMaxPower likes this.
  14. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I don't think I'm the "retard" in this picture buddy.

If something makes a person money, it generates, or increases their personal wealth, what's wrong with that statement?

How is becoming more wealthy at the expense of generating CO2 not becoming more wealthy? It's been a pretty popular method of making money since the industrial revolution.

It doesn't mean its a good thing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  15. Sankari

Sankari Member

I'm running a 34" 3440 x 1440 VA in landscape with a 2560 x 1440p IPS in portrait.

The landscape is perfect for productivity, gaming, and media. The portrait is perfect for browsing the internet and reading long documents.

Unfortunately I only have a 1070 Ti, so I'll be waiting a while until I can afford to buy a GFX card that supports gaming at top spec on my 34".

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  16. Trizae

Trizae Member

17. zbone

zbone Member

Of cause it's not. "Fuck y'all, got mine" is bad on so on many levels for everyone.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Trizae likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I still haven't got my 3080's I ordered.

I do have 3090, 3060, and by way of a recent PC purchase a 6700XT. All excellent at what they do. Given the crypto space right now, it doesn't matter how much you pay for a video card. It's worth it.

20. Skydome

Skydome Member

probably got stuck in the Suez canal i reckon :p

Slug69 likes this.