Create .dmg from USB and restore it

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by daehenoc, Jun 18, 2019.

1. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hi all,

I created a USB installer for el Capitan, and confirmed that it boots and successfully installs el Cap. Hooray me. I want to create a dmg (or ISO) file of that USB, then restore that to another USB.

I created the installer on el Cap, then followed these instructions on a laptop with Mojave to create a dmg file:
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/disk-utility/dskutl11888/18.0/mac/10.14

How do I then successfully restore that dmg file to another USB? Every time I've tried, I wind up with only the 'Packages' folder in the root of the target USB and that doesn't boot a mac to install el Cap!

Am I doing it wrong, should I try creating an ISO or something else entirely?

Thanks!

Edit: The reason I ask this is so that I can have a .dmg (or ISO) file of older versions of macOS, that I can restore to a USB key from any version of macOS. (e.g. the createinstallmedia executable from the el Cap installer doesn't work from Mojave...)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

3. OP
    OP
    daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Really, I should restate the problem:

I am creating a macOS 10.11 boot USB using createinstallmedia on an older MBP, all OK. I then want to take an image of that USB, so I can put it on other USBs or reuse that USB for some other purpose. I thought that using Disk Manager to make a .dmg of that USB would be hunky dory, but when I follow the Apple instructions for restoring that .dmg to a USB (even the same USB I took the image from!), I can't boot off that USB.

When I restore the .dmg to the USB, all I can see on that USB is the Packages folder, the "Install OS X el Capitan" icon isn't in the root of the drive, and it won't boot.

Should using Disk Manager to take an image to a .dmg and restore it work? Am I doing it wrong? Help!

4. OP
    OP
    daehenoc

daehenoc Member

5. fad

fad Member

I had to do this, I downloaded the install dmg from the app store and used a program to make the usb.

6. OP
    OP
    daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Solved! When creating a .dmg file from the install USB, I was selecting the partition, not the physical media! duur.

I'm going to write this up as a guide, to help others figure this out. Will post.

7. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You can do it under terminal, no need for some stupid app.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

dd. Two letters and 54KB of spectacular goodness.

flu!d likes this.