Create VPN on open source 4g modem possible?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by GrandmasBoi, Oct 23, 2019.

1. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

I will be going overseas in a few weeks and this is a project I once attempted but gave up due to carrier grade nat being implemented on mobile intetnet.

I am going back to this project.

Scenario: I am going overseas for a few months. Would like access to a clean ozzie ip, to use:
    - netbank
    - paypal
    - ebay
    - view home camera
    A paid service will most likely be detected as a vpn by paypal/ebay and result in account suspension.

Further having a vpn at home would let me forward camera ports and view camera (secondary goal as forwarding ports will be more difficult on 4g behind carrier nat)

Hardware:
    Kogan prepaid 90 day plan 20gb per month data (unless a better deal comes, not very important)
    Cheap 4g wifi/1 lan port router running Openr00ter open source firmware.

Proposed solution:
    Router set up with a free dynamic dns service to email ip changes.
    Openvpn or similar service running on router ready for connection from os, setting up remote port forwarding from admin interface, access camera etc.

Problem/limitation:
    As far as I know from when I attempted this 1+ years ago all mobile data plans were/are behind carrier grade nat, so even if I open/forward ports from my 4g modem to the outside world they are still closed by the isp as my "external" ip is not just mine but shared by many users on different port ranges which get translated internally to reach the right destination.

I would see the only solution to this is using a 3rd in the middle server to do the translation for me.

My question is do any servcies like this exist? And naturally can anybody give me any tips or I missed something easy?

Oh yeah a spoon fed solution even better

Thanks in advance

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Maybe I'm missing something here. Is the home connection the 4G setup, and the remote connection something else? Or is home a standard fixed NBN/Cable/DSL type setup and remote the 4G connection?

For an IP-over-UDP + "road warrior" solution like OpenVPN, the client side doesn't matter. Whatever crazy NATing the ISP is doing is unimportant, as long as they allow unfettered outbound access.

Server side needs the correct ports forwarded/allowed. But once the client connects in, the tunnel is established, and data can travel in both directions over the tunnel regardless of other network translation nonsense.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

Lets call Australian side = Homebase
    Overseas Client = Remote user

Homebase = 4g modem with data sim

Remote user = Me in europe on 3g/4g, free wifi, adsl... Whatever

If I set up Openvpn at "homebase" I don't think "remoteuser" will be able to connect straight out of the box on "homebase" external IP + openvpn port?

4. OP
    OP
    GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

I actually just stumbled onto a tunnell provider ngrok, it might mean ill have to throw a rasberry pi into the mix to do the tunneling but this is doable, of course the simplest solution is best

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If all you're looking for is an Australian IP with reliable uptime, consider something like an Amazon Lightsail instance?

They start at USD$3.50 (billed in USD always, regardless of location) out of Amazon's Sydney datacenter, and for the small instance the first month is free.

Bottom spec is 512MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB disk, 512GB data transfer and a permanent IP.