Create VPN status icon

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Gunna, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

We use Windows in built 'Always on VPN' - as soon as there is an internet connection the VPN is established, there is no easy way for a user to tell the VPN is established. I'd like a simple red or green circle to advise if the connection is up and it could be tested by pinging a server on our corporate network every 5 seconds.

Programming or coding is not something i've jumped into, so thought this would be a good 1st avenue. Any suggestions on where to start with this one or language to use?

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

It isn't a 3rd party app, it's built into Windows 10 pro\enterprise.

I looked at a few 3rd party tools but they usually run\install with default setting so a preconfigured scaled deployment isnt possible.

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Script the install with powershell to update the .ini/.xml/registry keys post install and away you go.

To make things even easier https://psappdeploytoolkit.com/

5. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I get the request, but is clicking on the network icon on the bottom right and reading "connected" really too hard?

6. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Device based VPN is not listed in the network list, user tunnels are but we use a device tunnel

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Oh it's a pre-logon deal, sorry :)

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

General suggestion from me is "stay close to the mothership". What builds this with the least effort, fewest dependencies, and is the most compatible with your environment?

I'd say C#/.NET, given the end goal.

Like everyone else here, I thought "surely this is a thing that already exists?". Went looking, and nope, it's all rubbish, ancient, or both. I'm in the same boat as your userbase: using a laptop handed to me by a customer to connect to their site, always-on VPN, zero notification on the status bar as to whether or not its working. I can dig into the system settings and see the status there (sort of), but otherwise it's completely hidden from me.

And there's a constant stream of people in video meetings saying "oh, I have to reboot, the VPN doesn't seem to be working", because they have no idea what's going on or how to fix it, other than rebooting which works 50% of the time. And that's a 5 minute round trip due to the stupid things are configured (despite having super fast NVMe powered laptops that should reboot in seconds, not minutes, but are held back by remote settings applications, AD weirdness, connection stalls, etc).

So, long story short, I think you've got apt cause to write a tool here, because the current offerings are rubbish, and the default human-level notification methods are lacking.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  9. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

10. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

This is probably like a 15 minute job, do you have dotnet runtime in your SOE? you could do a statically linked dotnet app if not.

11. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

12. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

One of the guys int eh U.S found this solution instead:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Flyout\VPN /f /v ShowDeviceTunnelInUI /t REG_DWORD /d "1"

Adds the device tunnel status to the top of the available network connections, simple, easy to deploy via SCCM or GPO and best of all it works