Creating a friendly Ubuntu Based Appliance

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by vellanet, Sep 11, 2020.

1. vellanet

vellanet Member

Against better judgement, management have decided we shall sell what amounts to an Ubuntu based appliance to the masses.

Basically its Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS running some IP Video recording software. The people selling/buying them and using them have less than zero knowledge about how to use or maintain a linux box but it was deemed there should be a GUI so they could do it.

I'm by no means an Expertâ„¢ here but have muddled together a nice unattended ISO so we can run these boxes up quick and an out of box script to run that will at least update/upgrade the machines and download/install the latest version of the software and set up some semi sane defaults.

Where I'm coming stuck is once the machine is in the users hands, there needs to be an absolutely painless method for the users to add a HDD and format it and have it reliably mount on boot so that the video software can see it and write to it.

We initially settled on using Cockpit as its a bit nicer than than the default partition manager but now it seems they've changed their mounting so it only mounts the storage on User login rather than system boot.

Can anyone recommend a non CLI and fool proof way of managing HDD's in this manner?

Conversely does anyone know of any CLI tools or scripts that would ask the right questions and automatically format/mount storage so that is available on boot. Direct editing fstab is just a step too far for these people.

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

You can mount drives/partitions via GUI using Gnome Disks, I do it all the time when I can't be bothered with the terminal as I can't type to save myself and keep making typos.

3. OP
    OP
    vellanet

vellanet Member

Yeah, it's still too "techy" what with it's fancy mounting things with GUIDs instead of friendly names. I'm really aiming for stupid proof which I totally realise is asking alot for even Ubuntu!

I'm thinking, ultimately a custom shell script may be what I'm after that will scan for unmounted storage devices and format/partition/mount it as required. Who do you even go to these days to commission something like that!? It's well out of all of our app devs comfort zones. I'm a Technical PM so I know enough to be dangerous but am juuuuusssst experienced enough to know better than do this alone.

4. flu!d

Most distros have automount no different to Windows? And formatting drives under Linux is really no harder than the same process under MacOS, which is supposed to be an OS for the layman. KDE Partition manager is no harder to use than the Disk utility under MacOS. I'm not too sure exactly what you're trying to mount and for what reason?

You realise most people dont even know what formatting a drive means, even under Windows?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

6. flu!d

I still don't get it. Storage devices should just auto mount, no different to Windows?

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Format a usb device with Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4 then plug it into Windows and see what happens... I'll save you the waste of time, absolutely nothing.

Now why is its Linux's fault when it does the same with a device it can't recognize?

MrSnuffy likes this.
  8. flu!d

It's so rare I come across a file system Linux doesn't recognize, it's not really a consideration for me. I'm still confused, what is the OP trying to achieve when Ubuntu auto mounts by default and even supports NTFS-3G?