creating partitions when installing xp

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Dr. Zoidberg, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg Member

can you delete and create new partitions when you first install xp?

i had crap ram which corrupted my HDD, and i wanna format the thing totally, all 0's, no 1's :D

i dont have partition magic, so will it crate two partitions for me and install only on one?

thanks

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i'm pretty sure you can do that.

i prefer to use a third party app to do all my partitioning and formatting. so i can't be sure.

i use seagates diskwizard startup edition. which is a DOS based programme, that can do low level formats and zero filling (what you want to do) as well as normal formatting. you can use it to make whatever partitions you want as well.

if you want to use the one from the manufacturer of your hdd, you'll find links to the main ones in the "diagnostic tools" sticky at the top of the troubleshooting forum.

3. pippin88

pippin88 Member

XP can do this. Just press "c" to create partition not enter which will install. Its very easy.

4. nux

nux Member

Or just create the single partition for XP to install on, and leave some unpartitioned space, to format with XP up and running using the Disk Management feature.