1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Creative m100 CD-MP3

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by zeuss, Mar 10, 2003.

1. zeuss

zeuss Member

[​IMG]

Creative m100 CD-MP3 Player

I've found this CD/MP3 player in a few shops priced around the $210-$250 mark. I was just wondering if anyone has bought this thing or knows anyone who has one because I'm interested in getting one for myself and am curious about the quality of the audio/hardware (especially the headphones/controller).

I haven't been able to find any reasonable reviews, so any info would be really helpful.

Cheers,
    ZeUSS.

2. OP
    OP
    zeuss

zeuss Member

Hmm ok, so no one has a comment. Maybe some suggestions for solid-state MP3 players in the $200-$300 range then?

3. ekzistenz

ekzistenz Member

4. OP
    OP
    zeuss

zeuss Member

Well, I took a chance and bought the m100 yesterday - and so far I'm very happy. Since I struggled to find a review anywhere, heres my contribution:

For $215 at Scorpion Technology I couldn't refuse the Creative m100 CD-MP3 player. The m100 comes in typical Creative packaging, with far more box than necessary - although I was happy with the inclusion of some good quality batteries which I thought would be a stretch for Creative. The box also happens to list a bunch of other 'quality' Creative products, which I think is a fairly poor form of advertising.

The audio quality is excellent. When I connected the line-out to a decent stereo the sound was far better than I'd anticipated for the price range. Sadly, the supplied 'buds' are crap. Its definately worth grabbing a decent set of headphones if you plan to mostly use the m100 for private listening. There are 6 basic equaliser settings (rock/jazz/bass/etc) that allow the highs/lows to be modified but there is no option for custom equaliser settings.

The controls on the unit itself (of which the most important are mirrored on the inline remote) offer plenty of functionality, with a very decent back-lit interface that shows all the info needed. Directory browsing, random play and programmed modes are all simple to accomplish and can be accessed quickly when needed.

The anti-shock protection is suitable, since I lobbed the player around in the air for a minute or so while playing an audio CD without a single skip. The lid on the player feels a little flimsy, but as a whole I think it could stand a reasonable beating. The cables for the remote and earphones are long and soft, so they're easy to manage but still fairly rugged. I haven't tested the battery life, although the manual suggests 10-12 hours continuous play with 2xAA batteries.

Overall, the m100 is a bargain. If you're looking for a multipurpose, MP3 player/voice recorder/USB storage device, then the m100 definately ISN'T it. Compared to the current crop of these devices its not super small either. On the other hand, if you're tossing up between a portable CD player and an MP3 player, then you'll find the m100 looks great, sounds reasonable and is priced very well - and it plays a CD that holds 700Mb of MP3 songs (which is roughly 150-200 songs). Need I say more?

Well, I hope that helps the next person who finds themself asking the same questions I had...

Cheers,
    ZeUSS

5. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

Nice little review mate, i have been looking at various mp3/cd players and this looks like a nice option..

thanks for a good read.. :)