Creative Unveils X-Fi Titanium Series PCI-E Sound Cards | Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, May 17, 2008.

?

Creative X-Fi Titanium Series..

1. Looks okay..

27.7%
  2. I just want it..

7.6%
  3. I think I’ll look at other brands..

13.4%
  4. Creative..no way..

45.4%
  5. Other..

5.9%
  1. Polski Radon

Polski Radon Member

Way to go Creative! As it stands now you've got the support of 5 people who "Just want it" and 54 are against you. At least it shows that you're doing something.

In computing is the same as in banking, if you lose the trust you'll never get it back.

2. Dorz

Dorz Member

it is called 'binaural recording'. a classic example is the hairdresser one: http://ccgi.bluerabbit.plus.com/virtualbarbershop/
    Virtual Barbershop

there are a few more on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

3. Celchu

Celchu Member

I never had any issues with my Creative cards, but I always stuck to XP 32 bit.
    After Creative threatened the person who single handedly fixed their broken Vista drivers, it became apparent that they were crippling their products to encourage upgrading. That's why I'll never buy Creative again.
    Feel free to buy their products because you've never had issues, but if you encounter a problem down the track and find their support non-existent, don't say you weren't warned :p

4. TaroT

TaroT Member

i disagree
    i have had audigy 2 and now my extreme music in my dfi nf4 board(now my media center) and never had issues except the loosing sound through optical now and then but that was fixed with the latest drivers.

at least they are catchign up a bit...slowly..it amazes me how one of the biggest sound card makers takes so long to do anythign though :)

oh well i will wait and see how they turn out, if they have proper optical on these then i may just switch up after 2 odd years :)

5. MichaelMR2

MichaelMR2 Member

x64 XPP running now with Xfi (PCI) runs no worries...Vista...haha cammon it's only been out for what? a year? I'll play with it some other time :)

6. power

power Member

while you didn't have problems many other NF4 users did often to the point of them not functioning at all, i did come from retail and i saw it often.

7. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Just yesterday I attempted to install both (not at the same time..) the X-Fi Xtrememusic & Audigy 2 ZS into my Opty 170 DFI Ultra-D NF4 mobo & both cards refused to detect in either PCI slots. I tried removing all devices that are utilized by the PCI bus in BIOS and still, no detection was possible.

For some reason though, the first DFI Ultra-D board that I had when I first upgraded to X-Fi worked fine. The only difference between the first board & the 2 subsequent Ultra-D's was I scratched the NB with a pencil to make it a SLI-D before installing the X-Fi. It has been retired to a friend who is currently using an SB Live card.

I'll be receiving an SLI-DR mobo hopefully today so we'll see if the ZS or XM will work in that..

8. power

power Member

this is what i'm talking about, it's not every NF4 board or specifically related to NF4 boards, but it certainly was prevalent (A8N-SLI's were bad for it), you'd also find these same boards would have problems with various other PCI devices such as tv tuners and Video Editing cards leading me to believe the problem was the boards handling of resources, not the specific cards in question. We in the industry call it "incompatibility" and it happens.

The x-fi got a pretty bad rap as the x-fi was very popular and any problems were reported widely and quite loudly and ppl who had the card "just work" generally just used them.

Shuttle NF4 based pc's had these problems too as they only had a couple of PCI slots, i remember a mate's NF4 based shuttle pc that would only accept the most basic of PCI cards.

There were other probs with the x-fi's (popping etc) these seemd to be software problems though.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  9. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

there isn't a snowflake's chance in hell that I'd ever consider a creative product again. I remember the days when they were actually good sound cards. These days, creative literally PUMPS out the soundcards but offers virtually no driver support. Worst of all, they threatened legal action against someone who finally cracked and wrote a driver package for the Audigy series that would work in Vista even though they stopped vista support for the audigy.

10. power

power Member

you are kidding right?? Show me ONE, just ONE other soundcard manufacturer that has updated their drivers as often as creative for their X-Fi series.

11. Control+C

Control+C Member

I totally have to agree...

I was about to unleash hate about the linux support (or lack thereof) with their X-Fi series cards, when I checked the Creative website, and noticed that they have *finally* released beta drivers back in April... gonna give Ubuntu a whirl to see how well supported it really is!

My next sound card will NOT be a Creative soundcard however... had too many issues in the past with both the Audigy and X-Fi series...

12. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

As a gaming card, never had any issues with Creative soundcards to tell u the truth from the SB 16Bit, SBLive, Audigy, now Xtrememusic.

A few ppl here are in the same shoe as I am..never had any driver issues. Yes I do read that on the net that ppl hav problems with them..so dunno.

13. Liam.

Liam. Member

My audigy 2 zs and X-fi music have worked fine in a gigabyte k8n-sli pro board, which is a nvidia nforce 4 chipset.

both cards have also worked in a G33 board, and a p35 board.

14. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro under XP64. The driver was released in 2006 and its just a tweaked 32 bit driver despite the claims on the box and their website that a 64 bit XP driver exists. It never worked properly and has never been updated. The console and other software simply doesn't work. Name another sound card maker who creates 1 broken driver and leaves it like that for 2 years.

Creative products are a lottery, they may work, they may not and if they don't they stay that way.

15. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

i wonder how these compare to the Prelude(excluding the fact the these new ones are pci-e)

and i wonder if there finally using solid caps, especially after reading all the problems with caps on current cards. Though i think that just comes from them using crap quality caps in the 1st place...

16. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

No, it was not. Aureal's A3D engine was something that used transfer functions and other algorithms to create a 3d holophonic sound, like what you hear in the recording techniques, from everyday normal sources in games, in realtime. It's not 'just a recording technique' at all, if you'd care to read the above linked wiki pages. It would quite literally calculate the reverb and other effects off a 3d space in realtime, allowing for games to create that positional audio effect seamlessly.

The thing is, Aureal won the patient infringement case against Creative, but Creative just made them sink too much money into it and bankrupted them, then bought them out and buried the technology. It's a massive shame that the technology was effectively buried and is yet another demonstration of how big a pack of arseholes Creative are. They've effectively stagnated the sound card market by doing that.

That's doing the effect at a physical recording level. A3D was all about doing it in realtime, not unlike video image rendering in games, but for sound. It's a completely different thing.

17. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Could have at least used solid state caps.

18. power

power Member

that's probably a fair call i didn't hear too much about 64 bit, that said the 32 bit drivers got updated frequently and worked well in every application i saw them in.

19. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But according to --> http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=17791&nav=0

Doesn't that show the new "X-Fi2" cards as capable of encoding full 5.1 surround dolby digital?

This would be a very big thing, as NONE of the previous Creative cards have been able to do this. They have always just encoded stereo, and passed through 5.1 from DVD/Blu-Ray's

IF (very big *if*) that is the case... I will probably be upgrading my X-Fi to the X-Fi2!

20. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

First review/preview is up :D not exactly detailed, but its a start!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2316939,00.asp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008