Critical vulnerability shipped in latest Win7 security patch

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by callan, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. callan

callan Member

Yes, you read it right, guys. The latest rollup security update for Windows7/server 2008 contains a zero day vulnerability - and it's a doozey. Nothing less than the straightforwards ability for any user mode process to read and write to ALL MEMORY on the machine.
    Details HERE.
    Technet security info and OOB patch HERE.

Way to go, Microsoft:rolleyes: - You guys couldn't patch a paddling pool...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

The ocean has a very high salinity concentration ..... but its no where near as salty as your bitch ass. :lol::lol:

I read about this and just told my infrastructure team to deploy that shit. I'm such a benevolent dictator gave them 48 hours.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

what do updates for Windows 7 even matter anymore.. you should be moving to 10 or linux by now...

Hive likes this.
  4. Hive

Hive Member

"Elderly customer 124094: But i only use windows 7 as im used to it with 10 they hidden everything and i cant do my job"

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

I use Millennium edition because 64 bits is too complicated.

6. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

If your talking about business PC's then I agree with you but if your talking about home machines I guess its up to each individual's personal preference what OS they run and this one is also supposed to have security fixes up until 2020. A problem like this could have happened to any other version of windows other than 7 so its a bit of a stretch to presume that it happened to 7 because it's the oldest version of Windows still current and the reason for this is that Microsoft have a habit of completely re-writing stuff in the OS so although they may fix a bunch of bugs they are just as likely to introduce another bunch of new ones.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

I choo choo choose shitty security and my horse and cart.

:rollseyes:

In talking with a couple of PFE's - MS is driving security fixes seemingly at any/all costs. However i've noted that their current gen products are less susceptible to show stoppers (see 2008r2 VMXNet bug, etc)

8. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

So at what level do you decide at a minimum for security? Is it just the latest windows OS and any variety of Linux or Unix? To take another example at the other extreme of the security spectrum this person really likes Openbsd and only drops down to Linux when the software they want to run doesn't run on Openbsd.

9. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Whether Win7 should be used or not is immaterial. If it's supported then MS should not be cranking out patches of such poor quality.
    At least Win7 owners have control over patching, and can avoid it until it's fixed. Win10 users do not have that ability and there is NOTHING to suggest the same cockup could not have occurred on a win10 patch. Nothing at all.

As MS have moved to a mandated patch regimen they should do a damn-sight better job of stopping this sort of crap at the gate.

Callan

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

But how can they force the rest of the users onto Win10 if they don't create problems with the "old" OSes to convince people to "upgrade"?

O-B-E-L-I-X likes this.
  11. NSanity

NSanity Member

I don't disagree - my views are based on the observations over the last 24 months. However Windows 7 is in last days of Extended Support - yes its still supported, but the clock is ticking... You'll find that the dev team is likely super small at this point.

Except the Insiders Program. The Fact that all of MS runs patches before you do. The fact that they have 50% of the Windows Install Base on 10. The fact its one of their larger dev teams...

etc...

Windows 7 owners having control over patching is a bad thing. Fuck - Boeing just got hit with Wannacry... 12 months after that whole song and dance went down the first time.

No arguments from me here.

Software development of huge code bases is hard enough as it is - I certainly wouldn't attribute this to malice, merely oversight.

Then again I forgot i'm not in BE&C - so viva la Window XP SP2

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I can't fucking stand windows 10.

It's irritating as fuck. Couldn't even run it as a PURE kodi box without it popping up with bullshit notifications and shutting down randomly. And that's ignoring the other bullshit like constantly reporting everything.
    Fuck that.

Admittedly, W7 seems to have a fucked Intel graphics driver so I'm not winning there either yet, but ffs is w10 irritating. I want an operating system, not a misbehaving robot snitch.

Ck21 likes this.
  13. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

That's like saying "I don't like my car because it tells me the fuel is low". Use Openelec/LibreELEC if you want a "pure" kodi box, why you would use Window is nonsensical.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Because all the pure kodi distros I goggled like kodibuntu are dead. I didn't stumble on that one. Regardless, it's fine now. One reg key.

15. power

power Member

i reckon it will get to the point where they release patches that actively trash the OS - they did it with XP (not that I was on XP at the time but I remember some of the OS wrecking patches).

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Never confuse malice with incompetence.

If 3 people are patching the code for 7, and Nadella sacked QA - chances are you're gonna get shitty patches.