Crossplay

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by power, Jun 22, 2018.

1. power

power Member

So there's been bit of huff and puff from the press who are all promoting this as "consumer friendly" without thinking about what it all means from a corporate standpoint.

I know where I fall, that is that Sony would be better off not jumping in and I know Microsoft with their services backend can't bloody wait for it.

So what do you all think?

Some food for thought from where I sit in these articles, and a blast from the past when Microsoft used to oppose it for the exact reasons Sony use now. ;)

If MS are so cool about crossplay..... release a first party title like Halo on PS4 - go on. Yeah that'll never happen.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...lly-pushing-for-cross-platform-online-gaming/

https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/defiance-could-link-up-an-xbox-360-with-a-ps3-but-cant/

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/21/1...cross-platform-nintendo-switch-microsoft-xbox

2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I can see why people get upset but also I understand why it’s like this. Microsoft has nothing to loose this gen so it’s easy for them to be so open about the prospect of cross play.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

I don't see the issue with the same game being compatible to play against other services... people will still buy the game on the platform they prefer to play on.
    would make it a lot easier to find a game on quite a few games... looking at you Star Wars Battlefront....

cmi83 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

looks like Sony has capitulated, Fortnite to feature crossplay.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...oss-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. Sledge

Sledge Member

about time

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

7. roamin

roamin Member

one of the reasons i got an xbox over ps4 was the fact that sony shit me with there lock down.
    exclusive games yes i can certainly understand. they cost sony millions.
    but why no cross play between platforms on say gta v and so on. massive games played by many! same game on both plaforms, only difference is brand, when the game is on your tv its the exact same game.

sony shouldnt expect parents to have to buy there kids new consoles and games just so there friends can play together.
    seems to me all other platforms will cross play except sony. i know nintendo does it with rocket league and so on.

rdr2 online will drop, pretty much everyone i know is ps4. means i will get to run around on my own when there of doing there thing. why?
    this is why its taking me this many years to buy a console, 2nd hand one at that. the petty shit that goes on is just ludicrous.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Why would sony even make a console if they can't gather revenue after the fact? And if that happens who makes the consoles?

9. roamin

roamin Member

exclusives.

so your telling me sony would be dead if crossplay was in place?

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yep, they make a ton of money off people who buy stuff through their store and PS+. Console hardware is also something that everyone except ninty have historically lost money on. Why do you think Fortnite bypassed the Play Store? Google get no revenue off mt's on fn for android. that's a big chunk of change gone.

Let's say you have total crossplay, now your competitor decides, hey i'm going to undercut Sony. You then buy all the MT's on another storefront and all you use your shit on your sony device. Sony gets precisely zero revenue from you.

11. roamin

roamin Member

competitor can undercut them now, if every game was $20 cheaper and every console was $100 cheaper then thats all it would take now. but they have not done it. games are still ridiculous in prices on there online stores.

well in some ways you can say xbox have done it, there console deals are cheaper then ps4 everytime i look online. also the xbox one x is clearly a better console overall. but again everyone has ps4 still. why? i say exclusives.
    i dont think crossplay will hurt. there exclusives which they do very well will be what always holds people to sony. keep up on the exclusives and i cant see people switching to xbox.

if microsoft pulled there finger out and made some amazing exclusives then i would like to think the tables would turn. but forza and gears of war just dont cut it compared to sonys game list.

if gta was crossplay would sony be dead, hell no. not even close. i got a friend who bought a ps4 for rdr2, never had a new console like myself but he paid more for a console just so he could play the GT series.
    point being, he bought it for the exclusives. just like 90% of the ps4 buyers, they know they will have more to play on said console.

only way for sony to worry is for xbox to start spending millions on exclusives and well i cant see that happening anytime soon which means ps4 will lead the race for quite some time still.

12. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Crossplay benefits the consumer. Not sure why anyone would advocate for anything else. I get why Sony don't. But theres a difference between understanding why and supporting that practice.

roamin likes this.