1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

CRT Monitor Repair

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Antec713, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Antec713

Antec713 Member

hi all i have a Compaq mv540 15 inch monitor that has recently had some issues i was retro gaming on it for about an hour without any problems got up to get some food came back and the screen was all dull and stretched to the right side at first i thought it was a resolution error but changing it didn't do anything bit of searching online and found it might be a cap problem anyone out there know if people still repair crt displays or any tips on fixing it myself thanks! :confused:

2. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

most likely not the answer you want but i suspect that it would be cheaper to just look on gumtree or the likes for a replacement.

Also, remember that unless you like being killed you need to know what your doing when opening one up.

3. OP
    OP
    Antec713

Antec713 Member

and on any other day id agree with you :D but it may sound silly but this monitor belongs to my very first computer i got as a kid still chug's along to this day sentimental value i suppose ;)

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Repairing yourself is not that bad an idea in my opinion BUT it cannot be stressed enough to make sure you do your homework on how to safely work inside a CRT and to take every precaution when working on it. You can never be too careful.

I'm by no means a TV technician but after much trepidation I took the leap and decided to start looking into repairing CRT's myself and so far I've repaired a couple from doing simple cap replacements to replacing the flyback and other componentry. Honestly if you have any sort of experience with repairing electronics (soldering etc) it really isn't that hard to transfer some of those skills over to working inside a monitor. Again I'm just going to stress this, as long you are fully aware of the dangers and what you need to do to make it safe to work on.

nimmers likes this.
  5. nimmers

nimmers Member

I agree, if you have the skills then read up and get stuck into it.

6. sean0118

sean0118 Member

Any chance you could take a photo?

Are you sure it is the CRT and not your PC's graphics card? Tested with a second PC etc?

If the CRT is faulty, which it probably is, do you already have soldering equipment and a multimeter? If not, repairing it yourself might be a bit of a rabbit hole. ;)

7. breech

breech Member

Turn it on and give it a few thumps from all sides and see if the image changes. If it does it's probably just a solder joint issue. Otherwise you might get lucky and its a cap that is obviously failing. Don't leave it on for long in that state because you will burn in the screen. Read up about discharging the tube + caps safely if going in yourself. Good luck with it, resurrecting your old favorites is very satisfying. :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019