Crucial M4s users: Your drive may be about to die (Fix available: All should update)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by IzzehO, Dec 28, 2011.

1. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

EDIT2: A fix is now available. Everyone should install the new firmware! http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx. For anyone having trouble with the firmware, there is a guide to do it from USB stick here: http://www.storagereview.com/how_upgrade_crucial_ssd_firmware .

EDIT: Appears there is a firmware fix coming - http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD-Crucial-M4/td-p/79098

Just a heads up for anyone that is getting BSOD's every 60 minutes or so (as I was) and have spent the last week trying to diagnose it (as I was): There appears to something that is killing a lot of Crucial M4's in the last couple of weeks that is presenting with identical symptoms for a lot of people. Basically it involves the SSD hitting around 5200 hours of usage and then a particular error in the drive causes it to disconnect and, if it is running your operating system, a BSOD occuring. This fault occurs approximately every 60 minutes, so if this happens there will be the chance to reboot and backup data while we wait for the firmware fix to arrive.

The fault effects all firmware versions, all operating systems and all motherboards.

To check the number of hours your drive has done, use an application that allows the reading of SMART data (such as Crystal Disk Info) and look in the hours column. THIS IS ONLY PRESENTING IN DRIVES >5200 HOURS, so unless your running 24/7 since purchase you won't be very near such a point.

There has been at least one person claim that after several lockups, the drive just disappears entirely, so if this starts happening, clone what you've got to another drive and leave it till new firmware (or prepare to RMA it).

Links:
    http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/0x00000f4-error-on-M4-64GB/td-p/76392

I can only imagine how many more haven't yet even diagnosed the SSD is the problem (or that probably don't know how to). So try and spread the word to as many people who have the drive as possible.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. evlcookie

evlcookie Member

Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't had any issues with mine since I purchased it, however long ago.

Knowing my luck i will find my computer after work sitting at a blue screen :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Yeah well mine was slightly more difficult to diagnose as it was restarting straight after bsod occured and as the disk was gone it couldn't write to dump file.

4. mtma

mtma Member

About 2 hours later regarding the firmware fix one of the mods come out and say that the problem isn't with the firmware.

I'll be taking the 'will be fixed quickly without RMA' thing with a grain of salt for the time being!

Wonder what the cause is, it's almost like these drives are time-bombing for the festive season :O though who knows how many percent of buyers are actually experiencing the problem (I'm not at the moment - touchwood).

5. OP
    OP
    IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Yeah I read that as though a firmware update COULD fix it (but that it isn't caused by current firmware). Ugh, I really hate RMAing things, especially internationally. Curious anyone knows the RMA process with crucial and the turnaround time?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Classic. After everyone jumped on the M4 bandwagon bagging the shit through OCZ for a problem that was not their fault now crucial is having issues.

7. OP
    OP
    IzzehO

IzzehO Member

While your post is in no way helpful to the thread, I will respond to your obvious troll.

I went Crucial as it offered the best bang for buck (and it still does). OCZ's issue were nothing to do with a single problem "that was not their fault", but rather the fact they have highest fail rate of major SSDs, were more expensive per gb, had terrible customer service (blame user, blame other companies etc) and had slower speeds.

Now please go elsewhere with your threadcrapping as I was attempting to create an informative thread.

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

its true though, i have just bought m4s for server use. dont want to now see they are crapping themselves. do i really have to go back to c300 for a reliable drive? :(

9. ysu

ysu Member

I'm not having bsod issues and I sure hope I never will with this drive; my comp is on usually all through the day, so if there was anything like that I'd know.

But...after I've bought it, I've downloaded the then current firmware and that's it, I haven't touched it since...maybe there was an intermediate update since, which has created the issue?
    I've not read the related linked threads, but maybe it's worth investigating if there is any common firmware version with these problems.

oh, and thanks for the heads-up! let's keep this thread informative and on topic ;)

10. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Wow.......
    Was not really trolling as i have a crucial and a vertex but good to know you wasted your time on your nicely worded paragraph. Not sure how its threadcrappign either just commenting on the situation. Its the internet calm down little boy

11. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

& the draw-back to that would be? :confused:

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

hard to find

13. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

ebay :D
    I've checked numerous times on ebay - the 128GB version is not that common, but the 64GB & 256GB versions are a plenty :)

14. marv1n

marv1n Member

Aren't they like double the price?

15. chip

chip Member

If you put these drives in anything other than your own test/dev or home system (ie anything important) then you're a moron.

16. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

nope

actually, the three most reliable SSD makers are: Intel, Crucial & Samsung
    so you obviously have no idea what you are talking about :)

17. OP
    OP
    IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Mac, windows, linux; firmwares 0001, 0002, 0009; age seems to be at least 6 months on all; amd, intel, laptop, desktop, server. Seems the only thing in common is they are Crucial M4's (although there is a very similar thread on the C300's, but I think that was Intel's recent update to Rapid Storage)

EDIT: Ugh seems they are very keen to RMA these:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  18. mtma

mtma Member

That's actually a good sign though, means they're doing something about it...

The faster Crucial/Micron get some victim samples on their hands to investigate the faster we'll get a resolution.

19. OP
    OP
    IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Perhaps, but it may just mean they need to fix it on new drives, which doesn't help any. Here's hoping the support staff have been made aware of it so I don't have to try 'restart my computer then unplug and plug it back in' and can just get the RMA over and done with. Their call centre opens in 4 hours, ugh.

20. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Id still go Crucial M4 over OCZ. Although I don't own either of them, I'm glad I don't now :p. But every SSD manufacturer has there own flaw