Cruise -- Alaska Glacier Tour

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bcann, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yep, I know the feels. I've always wanted to do Antarctica myself, for the polar bears.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Such a long time to wait :p

3. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

or a long time to pay it off.... depends how you look at it. it wasn't that long ago it was >400 days now its <300.... and only 5 working days until me and the misses do our NZ cruise.

4. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

187 days bitches :)

Hawaii, Seattle, Vancouver, Seattle, Alaska, Hawaii, and then *CRY* Back to sydney.

5. power

power Member

it's ironic that putting Sydney on the end there is only seen as bad by aussies. :)

6. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

I even got my USD and CAD, when i did the order, i didn't bother selecting how many notes of each type, so i got me more then enough $1 notes to fill more then a few Strippers G Strings

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So you saved a few bucks by leaving mrs at home then? :D

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Gonna be a huge downer when you get back to Syd's.

9. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

True but about 5 months after we get back just me and the misses are doing a sydney to hawaii cruise by ourselves.

10. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Glacier cruise if on my bucket list, super jealous. Report back with pics!

11. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

Will do

12. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

We're looking at doing Alaska (cruise) and Canada, but we've pushed it out to most likely Aug/Sep 2020.

Can't wait to hear all about yours.

13. TonyR

TonyR Member

I did that trip in 2014 and had a ball. We actually did Vancouver, cruise to Anchorage with Princess, land tour with Princess through Denali and up to the arctic circle. Back to Anchorage and spent 4 days driving around the Kenai peninsula. Fly to Seattle, drive to Vancouver.

Driving Seattle to Vancouver is beautiful. We took the ferry across to Whidby Island which is very pretty. At that time the border crossing wasn't much of a problem.

In Vancouver we stayed at the Blue Horizon on Robson Street. Reasonable priced hotel, not too flash, but centrally located with the HOHO bus stop right outside the door and a couple of cheap restaurants opposite. In Vancouver, walk the seawall on Stanley Park, visit the Capilano suspension bridge.

Seattle is STEEP! We saved some money by staying at a hotel about 10 blocks from the waterfront. Walking back to the hotel was awful. OK, I'm older and probably less fit, but at every block I was praying for the Don't Walk light so I could have an excuse to stop and catch my breath. Spend the extra and stay nearer the space needle. While there, Chihuly Garden and Glass is well worth the visit, as is the Museum of Pop Culture. All three are close together and you can do them all in a day.

Ketchikan and Juneau are OK, but nothing spectacular. The best trip we did was out of Skagway, coach trip up to the Yukon, past Carcross to Emerald lake. Back to Carcross for lunch and then the White Pass railway back to Skagway. There is one tour promoted as the Yukon Suspension Bridge. Not worth the money as it isn't even in the Yukon - just in BC.

The Kenai peninsula drive out of Anchorage is well worth spending a few days on. Fly from Anchorage back to Seattle (domestic) rather than Vancouver (international). Saves a lot of time and hassle.

Don't worry about it being too cold. As others have said, Layers are your friend. A light-weight water/wind proof coat is good as an outer layer when needed, but that probably won't be too often. I have a photo of me at Wiseman, 65 miles North of the Arctic Circle, wearing a T-shirt.

Good luck and hope you have as much fun as we did.

14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Cool little town, I camped close by in Coldfoot on my road trip. Loved all the old log cabins, some sunken and leaning. There was a restoration team working on some of them when I passed through back in 2004.