1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruise from Brisbane - comparison websites? Places to go? any tips?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by GoneFishin22, Apr 20, 2019.

1. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The wife has been wanting to go on a Cruise ship for many years and we need a holiday I would like to consider a Cruise around June.

Details:
    - Port (for pick up and departure): Brisbane,
    - Date range: mid-June to mid-July,
    - Budget: upto 1.5K each (2people),
    - Duration: 10-14 days,
    - Scope: would like to head north to at least Cairns, but would really like to see Vanuatu and or New Caledonia, etc.

Can anyone recommend a Cruise liner comparative website, like the hotel ones we see, for example bookings.com, trivago.com, etc.?

Can anyone suggest on a good trip - plan to go on?

How about who are the better companies? P&O or?

What to watch out for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. doug81

doug81 Member

Have had 2 good cruise booking experiences with Cruisepilot, definitely worth a look. Carnival is a great option, we loved it. Went on a Princess cruise and it was OK, but the food wasn't as good and it didn't have the same 'fun' factor. Carnival Spirit was the ship we went on, but the Carnival Legend looks awesome. Isle of Pines was a great place we got to stop, Noumea is shit and I wouldn't bother getting off at the port. We also went around New Zealand on a 2 week cruise and it's a great way to see a few good spots, and cruising through Milford Sound was breathtaking...

GoneFishin22 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

4. AusScare

AusScare Member

I've been on a few cruises out to the islands.

My tips:

- The cheaper the cruise, the cheaper the crowd/food/entertainment. Sail out of Sydney if budget allows
    - Cruise Guru, Cruise Sale Finder and Cruise Away for deals
    - Bigger ships I have found to be better - more bars, areas for kids to stay out of your way
    - Isle of Pines, Champagne Bay, Lifou, Mystery Island all good. For Port Vila, Suva and Noumea, book a tour away from the port, as there's not much interesting within walking distance. For Mare - book the bus to the other side of the island, the beach there is probably the best I have been to in my life
    - Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America I have found to be good. Really depends on the ship - newer the better here too (or recent refurb)

GoneFishin22 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

6. OP
    OP
    GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Cruise was awesome and we had a ball - have to be careful not to fall into that let's just overeat and go completely mental and see if we can add a stone or 2 type trap.

The few days we did go a bit mental but then the wife and I started smashing big salad and fruit plates to ensure we were getting good nutrition.

On the P@O Pacific Dawn - the Waterfront Restaurant was absolutely amazing and we had dinner there every night - there were days when we went had had first dinner at The Pantry because there was something awesome there (antipasto plate for example) and then went down to the Rest.

Great trip (if you have realistic expectations) - website was also great and I was advised by some seasoned travelers to check out below for some good discounts/savings;
    https://www.dccruising.com.au/

7. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Glad you enjoyed your trip.. June is a cold time to be cruising - can't really enjoy the deck life so much when it's too cold for anything, but a holiday is a holiday.
    Plenty of cruising choices from Brisbane and don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to leave from Sydney - that adds two days at sea for little benefit compared to leaving from Brisbane.