Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Anyone else playing? Anyone else getting hooked? :D

Just picked it up the other day after trying the Crusader Kings II demo and kinda getting hooked on that game play. Waiting for a steam discount before I pick up CK2, but I snagged EU4 immediately. Same sort of interface and strategy game.

A couple of trailers;

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crusader-kings-ii
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/europa-universalis-iv

A cool thing is that you can convert your CK2 game to EU4 to continue your empire :thumbup:

Its not many games that has you googling how the Ottomans defeated the Mamluks back in the day!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Saw this the other day, is it purely turn based? Or like Total war games with real time battles but turn based strategy?

3. cccino

cccino Member

Neither.

Edit for less cryptic answer: It's continuous/running time. (I don't really want to say "real" time when 1 day = 1 second or whatever).

I encourage you to try the demo (or the Crusader Kings 2 demo).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Watched a quick video on it, got confused by how it works, hence why I asked the question. I'll have to give the download a crack :thumbup:

5. kthomp37

kthomp37 Member

Currently getting stuck into Crusader Kings 2.

It's extremely addictive, but I have nfi what I'm doing.

6. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Sounds like me in EU4 :D

No idea on handle Mamluks. Maybe I need to handle my finances a bit better...

7. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Mamluks have been defeated... next would be Spain I think... or should I concentrate on my colonies on the East Coast of Africa... hmmm...

8. praiseB

praiseB Member

Been playing CKII with the Game of Thrones mod, super addictive.

9. summoner

summoner Member

Bought CK2 as saw it works on mac so figured can just chill on mbp and play it every so often when not at home and leave my PC for other games.. Nope shocking tearing/graphic glitches that just deterred me. Will install on my other laptop at a later stage though to give it another crack as everyone seems to rate it pretty good.

10. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

11. Sillen

Sillen Member

DO NOT BUY EU4

I had EU3 plus expansions and spent months turning Sweden into a 18th centuary slave trading, america owning super power.

I have been playing computer games for over 30 years and without doubt, this was one of the hardest games turn off, every night!

12. giles666

giles666 Member

I have been playing CK2 on my old 2010 MBP for a good long while without issues. EU4 works great as well.

13. summoner

summoner Member

might just be mine is starting to die then. Ah well

14. praiseB

praiseB Member

Game is way to addictive, I've had to many times now when my wife is asking me to come out to watch TV with her and I'll say something random like

"Soon my heir just married the queen, have to wait to see if they'll have a son for me so when the queen dies, and my current and next generation dies off I'll be KING, I'll come out after that"

Or "I'm pushing a de jure claim on Dorne, if everything goes well I'll be Lord Paramount of the west, north and Dorne making me the most powerfull lord in all of Westeros"

15. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Much much too late :( Already trying with Denmark... just annexed Norway. Have to break my alliance with Lithuania, they are being a pain in the arse.

16. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

I play altogether too much CKII. EU3 got me hooked, but I'd get annoyed by the micro-managing a global empire took, so CK is perfect. Right now I'm playing as a faction in the Genoan merchant republic, wrapping up a hundred year vendetta against Pisa by wiping them off the map and making their capital my family's personal fiefdom. Good times. Next step is to destabilise the Holy Roman Empire enough that I can grab Tuscany while they're distracted, but not so much that the Tartar hordes wind up on my doorstep.

Oh, and if you're patient the DLC periodically goes on sale at about 25% list price and occasionally in big bundles, which is tidy.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

18. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Great price. Highly recommended to anyone who likes conquering heathens and murdering troublesome rivals.

19. kthomp37

kthomp37 Member

Definitely. Highly recommend CK2, and for ~$6 with a bunch of other games thrown in, it's awesome value. Just make sure you watch a bunch of video tutorials/playthroughs.

20. Imitation

Imitation Member

Do these have end game issues such Paradox games seem to be known for? I mean extremely bad performance even on beast rigs.