Crypto Tracking

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by mrturkey, Jan 20, 2018.

1. mrturkey

mrturkey Member

Hi Guys,

Been into a bit of crypto trading since late last year and can see there are a few different platforms for tracking your crypto portfolios. Personally I like https://cointracking.info/ but I am nearly outside of the free version and don't wish to pay.

I was tossing up wich forum to place this in but decided here because it is more active and relevant.

So my thought is to make my own platform and develop it over time.

http://roav.net

I am a PHP/MySQL hack from way back, so I am dusting off the skills to do something interesting.

Goals/features:
    Multiple portfolios
    Ability to add advisors to your account
    Ability at the users discretion to make public their portfolios (based on % and trade movement)
    Top users based on performance, anonomised or identified at user option. (will need to verify somehow so that this isn't rorted)
    Some form of financial reward for myself. (looking at options for this)
    Integration with exchanges via API or CSV.
    National currencies (got to find a feed)
    Night mode
    Interesting and Active Charts
    Modular Dashboard
    Reports (many)
    Mobile app

What is done so far:
    Online Sign up, passwords are hashed in database (I can't read them, still be sensible)
    Email account verification
    Pull data from https://coinmarketcap.com/ through their API to my database on demand (will become a Scheduled job).
    Create Portfolios
    Add trades (only Crypto currencies so far)
    View portfolio summary (incomplete)

Known bugs:
    needs to fix my mail sending so it doesn't get spam tagged
    Some of the form layouts are funky
    View portfolio summary (total of coins, only the added ones at moment)

So far after a bit of feedback on:
    What you think of the project
    What you think of the functionality so far
    Bug reports
    Security issues
    Additional features you would like (the easier for me to do the more likely to be done)
    Post other crypto tracking tools that you use for everyone else to see

Still early days but throw in your 2 cents, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    perrymitchell likes this.
  2. shredder

shredder Member

Sounds freaking awesome. I'd love to help test, if/when the time comes that such would be helpful. I'm a crypto day trader with a few years sporadic experience (now full time) on a bunch of different crypto platforms.

I'm not sure that coinmarketcap.com is a good source for live up-to-the-minute prices? (or is it? via the API - I'd not know, when it comes to that area)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    mrturkey

mrturkey Member

Hey shredder,
    Happy for you and anyone to jump on now. Remember, baby steps, features are pretty basic at moment. Just remember to check spam for activation emails. Having some data in the system and other users feedback would be most helpful. (if you see a major flaw don't smash my little creation up too badly, let me know)

http://roav.net

If you have the thought, I wish it had ..., now is the time to speak up.

coinmarketcap.com has an API and it provides for updated every 5 minutes, the figures it gives are up for your own interpretation. :)
    Please, if you have other sources let me know and I am happy to take a look.

4. shredder

shredder Member

Imo the quality and accuracy of the data provided by this kind of project is one of the base fundamentals. To see CMC's chosen figures (which, if using their single displayed value figure, can sometimes deviate from true market conditions, by virtue of it's internal algorithms which allow some degree of outliers) I might as well just open CMC, which most keen traders visit many times daily for miscellaneous research purposes anyway.

To consider the project for use, personally, it would need to use up-to-the-minute (at least!) figures from the APIs of several of the major exchanges.

Individually, and/or to combine and create a (weighted, possibly) index like some tracking and general crypto sites do (e.g. Coindesk). Ideally giving the user the choice of these options to configure as they please.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Agreed, interesting to note that...
    CMC total maket cap = $596,589,338,170
    Onchainfx = $544,424,666,176

6. OP
    OP
    mrturkey

mrturkey Member

Excellent points Shredder, I'll need some contributions of links to the exchanges/platforms each would like to see the data from.
    EG: https://github.com/BTCMarkets/API

So 5 minute lag is too long, sounds like you want as close to realtime as we can get. Maybe I fetch the data when you load the page/segment? This may make the site a little slower to load...

Multiple sources, maybe linked to a trade, portfolio or account? How granular would you like?

Yes, I sense a theme here...

OK, how 'anonymous' would we need to go? At the moment you can sign up with any valid email. It's up to you to source that. There is no validation on the data you put in the system at moment. No way to verify if what you type in is real or not.

I can see if we do wallet or exchange integration down the track this may become more of an issue and is a convenience feature that some would like.

Do I need to look at some encryption on the actual database and logs to reduce exposure here? Suggestions on this would be very welcome.

As for the offer for help, I think I will need it some stage soon. I do work full time so this is just in my spare time for now.

Some ideas for help:
    I am thinking the layouts/CSS will need a tidy up.
    I would be after another set of eyes to check over security aspects.
    Porting for an app, someone to do it with me down the track.

Lots of work ahead and there appears to be some interest. Thanks for the encouragement.

7. luke o

luke o Member

The only way to ensure it's safe (as possible) is zero knowledge on behalf of the vendor/owner of the system. Look at SpiderOak as an example even if they want to they cannot know what you are storing on there servers. They get breached or hacked in someway (or law enforcement seize their servers) your data is still secure.

An 'app' running on PC/iOS/Android can achieve zero knowledge if built correctly but a website can't. No offense still a cool idea and I think for the majority with their toes in crypto it's probably going to be fine. Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    mrturkey

mrturkey Member

I think I'll go with collecting the least amount of information possible, I agree, it won't work otherwise.

I have been tinkering in the background since my last update.
    Making a ticker engine that can update your exchange pairs as often as the exchange will allow. All I need is the exchange API URL in a JSON format and my system is a go. I'll then make these pairs available to measure trades, portfolios etc... or you can just have a tickers dashboard on pairs that you want to see. I'll play with this idea more. Testing on 2 second updating for now.

Also working on getting charts started, would it be very bad to use Google Charts? (data privacy concerns)
    Highcharts is another option. (would have to be paid at some stage)

Cheers for the input!