Currency access - US to AU

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by blackied, May 26, 2016.

1. blackied

blackied Member

Hi All,
    I have a friend who is coming to visit Oz from the US in a month's time for a month. Neither of us have traveled internationally before so we're both not really knowing how everything works. Their passport is sorted, and if I understand correctly they need to apply for a subclass 601 ETA visa or something. My main question though is in regards to spending money while they're here. What's the best way for them to get access to their cash while they're here? Get a little out at the airport? Use CCs for everything? Open a bank account here or something? What's recommended for say under $2kAU spending money?

2. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Just use bank ATMs to withdraw cash from their US accounts. The exchange rates are pretty good (way better than TravelEx etc) and the fees are generally only a few $ for each withdrawal (do a few hundred at a time).

3. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

So would you suggest something like a direct debit card? Or will a standard US bankcard work?

4. mtma

mtma Member

In Australia, you will generally find all ATM's will support cards that have VISA or MasterCard network logos (i.e including their sub-brands, Cirrus, Maestro, Plus).

Everything else can be a bit hit and miss. Also make sure your bank provider has overseas use of your card enabled.

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

you can always ask them to send a paypal transaction with a 2% fee. then you can hand/hold their cash until they come in a separate account that's under your name.