Curry puffs

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Amfibius, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

You just can't get good curry puffs here in Melbourne. Nearly every place makes its pastry too thick, or the filling does not have enough of a kick, or it does not taste authentic. I scoured the web for recipes and phoned my mum for advice. This is an adapted recipe from several sources, but I suppose it is unique enough to call it my own.

The pastry is a standard short crust pastry. It can be used for empanadas as well ... if you make up an appropriate filling :)

For the pastry
    - 500gm plain flour
    - 220gm pork lard or butter (lard is much better)
    - 220mL water
    - 5gm salt
    - 1L peanut oil for deep frying

Add the salt to the flour, then rub the lard into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, throw the whole thing into a food processor and pulse until you obtain the desired texture. Turn into a bowl, then add the water. Knead the mixture just enough to obtain a smooth dough. Cover and rest for at least half an hour.

For the filling
    - 250gm chicken thigh meat, deboned and diced
    - 400gm potato, 1cm dice
    - 1 onion, about 200gm, diced
    - 1 carrot, 1cm dice
    - 100gm frozen peas
    - 2 tbsp Malaysian meat curry powder
    - 1 cinammon quill, about 2cm
    - 2 star anise
    - 1 stalk of curry leaves, roughly chopped
    - 50mL water
    - salt, pepper, chilli powder

In a large wok, fry the onion for about 2 minutes until translucent. Add the curry powder, cinammon, curry leaves, and star anise and fry for another minute. Add the potato, carrot, and peas and fry for another minute. Then add the chicken, making sure you toss everything through and the chicken seperates. Add the water, then turn down the heat. When all the water has evaporated and the mixture is dry, taste and adjust the seasoning adding more salt and chilli pepper as desired. Turn off the fire and allow to cool. Remove the cinammon and star anise after it has cooled.

Assembly

[​IMG]

Roll out the pastry to slightly less than 1mm thickness. Traditional curry puffs have a thicker pastry, about 2mm - but I wanted mine nice and thin. Roll it out thicker if you like. Warning: thinner pastry is more difficult to handle! It is more prone to breakage when you fold your puffs.

Cut out circles using a 5cm diam circle cutter. Place the pastry in a curry puff maker (available from Asian $2 shops) and insert a spoonfool of chicken curry mixture. Be careful to keep the edges nice and clean, because any oil will inhibit a good seal.

[​IMG]

Wet the edges to make the flour gummy (this helps it to seal), then crimp the curry puff maker loosely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wet the edges again, then fold down as shown.

[​IMG]

Get yourself a curry puff production line :)

[​IMG]

Heat up the oil to 180C, then deep fry in batches for about 4-5 minutes until golden.

[​IMG]

The money shot!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. scon

scon Member

They look super tasty! I need to get one of those moulds - don't mind curry puffs but I absolutely love empanadas!

3. GrueHunter

GrueHunter Member

I was all 'meh, they never get the pastry to look right' and then I was all 'OMG HE GOT THEM TO LOOK AWESOME' :shock:

4. cazzy160344

cazzy160344 Member

Those look amazing!

I've always wanted to try and make my own pastry and I love curry puffs so I think I will give this recipe a go :)

Do you have any first-timer tips for making the pastry? :)

5. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Err, I don't think there are very many tips for this pastry. It is very easy to handle. Surprisingly easy, given that this was the first time I have made this particularly pastry from scratch ;)

Make sure your dough is well lubricated with flour, otherwise it would be hard to roll out. If you find your dough won't roll out any thinner, chances are it needs more flour. Turn it over and give it a sprinkle. Also, a smooth surface like a marble kitchen top or a silpat helps.

My grandma was a half Nyonya, and I remember helping her make curry puffs when I was little. She rolled the pastry out into a log, then divided the log into equal portions. She would pick up a portion, roll it into a ball, then flatten the ball and shape it into a disc with her fingers. She then handed the disc to me, and I would insert a spoonful of filling, then fold it in half and flute the edges. One old woman and 4 grandkids could make 1 curry puff every 30 seconds.

The traditional way is more difficult than the method I posted. You actually need skill! This method needs very little skill - but you do need a 5cm circle cutter and a curry puff maker :)