[WORKLOG] Custom acrylic case - hardline water cooled

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by hawpinghaxbag, Apr 28, 2017.

1. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Posting this and making a worklog as ive been meaning to do this for years

Will be making a custom case over this weekend based on the EK Vulture out of 6mm tinted and clear acrylic, size will be minimised and m-itx support only while still retaining support for 360x60 push pull rad, ATX PSU, 3x rear exhaust fans, and a full length video card

Side and top panel/window bend, rest of the panels are tinted but still fairly transparent

[​IMG]

Design of main rear panel that PSU and exhaust fans will be attached to, everything is super snug
    [​IMG]

Watercooling stuff, most parts recycled from previous builds

SR2 360 rad
    Enermax tb Vegas 80 and 120mm fans (these are kinda in your face)
    Bitspower block for my Impact VIII mitx
    A block for the 1080ti
    A dimm block for the hell of it
    Bitspower res and fittings
    12mm OD hard tube

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

look forward to watching the build log:thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Front panel mostly done today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home made circle guide for the router
    [​IMG]

Testing my measurements and drilling, everything looks bang on, all screws screwed into the rad just fine.
    Successfully resisted the urge to peel of the protective paper :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case will be pretty much built around the RAD and PSU, 1mm to spare each side of the psu

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Going pretty slow, did a few experiments today with a scrap piece after measuring and drawing the rest of the panels for cutting tomorrow

Fill port using a bulkhead fitting, will be on top of case. i may even put a similar setup down the bottom of the case for a drain complete with Bitspower silver tap for maximum wanking stimulation

[​IMG]

People join acrylic with some fancy ways but i just screw the damn panels directly together, ive done this before with 6mm thick stuff and it works fine, you just have to be careful, use a drill press, and be thorough with preparation

Creating holes for the screws, pre drill then heat up a screw then screw it in. If the drill bit is too small, too much plastic will melt and be displaced creating a bulge

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  5. mgrobins

mgrobins Member

That looks really nice :). I might bug you for some tips on your acrylic work at some point...

Definitely shows the benefit of a good drill press.

6. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Dont take shortcut and unless you like doing stuff in your shed as a way of getting away from it all and feeling a sense of satisfaction from building shit just get someone with a CNC laser/router to do it lol.

Did the back panels today minus the screw holes

i/o panel, this will be offset towards the front to the main rear panel by 20mm, this solves the PCI bracket + flat main back panel problem, recesses the fans and hopefully makes the case look cooler.
    Something like this

[​IMG]

I/O shield, managed to make it fit 1st go pre-sanding. pretty rough cut up the top but hopefully it will sand out abit
    Of course we shall see how well the actual ports line up at the end :p
    [​IMG]

Laser vs jigsaw cuts, ill sand all the jigsaw and router cuts
    [​IMG]

Shit getting messy
    [​IMG]

Main rear panel, PSU, 120mm+2x80mm fans holes
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Just drilled some holes and dicked around today

~60x 3mm screw holes 1.5mm away from the edge, no dramas. Stronger then it looks/sounds like

[​IMG]

Testing to see if it all fits, i wasnt as thorough with measuring the 80mm fan screw holes and so had abit of a tough time getting some of the bolts through, the fans spin without hitting the electronics strip so its ok for now

[​IMG]

Cable management.. its going to be interesting as the mobo is going to be bolted directly to the left panel so cant hide them anywhere. At least cabling will be minimal, no drives allowed in this build unless its m.2 or external :lol:

Peeled abit of the paper off and stuck some brass joiners through and spun the fans up, pretty happy with how it is looking

[​IMG]

The 120 moves alot more air then the 80s @750rpm but all are dead quiet, will prolly run the 80s @1000 and all 120s @800 or something, obviously do abit of testing 1st. The psu will not be helping extracting air as it will be sucking in air via a hole at the bottom. I dont have the guts to put the psu intake on top right underneath all the plumbing

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. clrobbo

clrobbo Member

Subbing. Nothing better then a case built to show off your handywork. Interested to see your cabling in the end as everything's on show. So far looks great !

9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

coming along nicely:thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Cheers guys, im thinking brass chrome 13mm pipes as cable conduits? afak no one has done it before lol. Will expand on the whole pipe theme

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32447/alphacool-hardtube-13-10mm-90-degree-brass-chrome

Or smaller size tubes for the power going to the fans for example. Also maybe square stuff

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/metals-brass-copper-aluminum/

Anyways its something ill wont worry about too much for now

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Are you planning on metal or petg or acrylic tubing? I think polished copper for both tubing and conduits would look spectacular !!

12.7mm copper tube with Satye's copper fittings, and larger diameters for the cables, you don't want them too tiny. In fact you could make them pretty chunky for effect if you wanted, cable management would be a breeze.

Possibly even incorporate a couple of pointless but pretty cross braces or something with the same stuff.. pump mount and PSU cover in copper too..

Dammit if you don't do it I will someday :lol:

12. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I was going to go with acrylic 12mm with bitspower fittings as i allready have abit of bitspower gear (water temp sensor, bulkhead fittings ect) and they are the only ones that make a semi decent looking block for my mobo

[​IMG]

But who knows, chit may end up looking like this which i do kinda like :lol:

[​IMG]

This is only my second watercooling project, second scratch build and my 1st hardline build so cant get too carried away :p

a brass res will definitely be happening

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Raw cut

[​IMG]

60-1200grit sand + metal polish

[​IMG]

Was going to use long brass screws but ended up having 1 break when i was screwing it in, so switched over to smaller length sheet metal screws that seem to do the job. Also meant i didnt have to worry about getting the longer holes at the right angle with the hand drill and not bother with heating the screws up.
    Its stronger and holds together alot better then what it looks

[​IMG]

Basic shape coming together

[​IMG]

Putting in the spacers, ill dissemble the case before a final put back together, just seeing how well it fits together and theres still a few things that are best done with the basic case joined together

[​IMG]

14. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looking good:)

15. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Keep the updates flowing!! :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Been doing boring stuff lately, soo much sanding, im over it but thankfully done

[​IMG]

Cutting window to suit back

[​IMG]

Most critical part, getting the mobo offset mounts in the right spot so the i/o shield lines up with the ports and the video card is snug against the i/o panel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testin to see what works best for screwing in the mobo offsets, 3mm drill hole with a touch of 3.5mm at the start seems to work well
    [​IMG]

Momentary toggle switch and push button switch, ill use the toggle at the front of the case for the power. Dunno about using the push button for reset, for a start it dosnt really fit anywhere at the front so will have to be at the back. I havnt had a reset button for 2 years and havnt really missed it

[​IMG]

This is the part ive been looking forward to, dissemble, clean, get the paper off ready for final assemble

[​IMG]

All ready for tomorrow
    [​IMG]

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

you know the ONLY problem with this case....

next time you'll have to step it up and make the next one entirely out of glass!!, keep up the good work though can't wait to see some final pics.

18. Brapuss

Brapuss Member

This is some great work, cant wait to see the finished product!!

good job!

19. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Thanks guys

Putting this bitch together

[​IMG]

Forgot a few fastener holes

[​IMG]

All panels except clear panel fastened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Window not fastened but just put it in place to see how its going, so far so good, i did actually fasten it earlier but didnt take a pic, with it on the case is very rigid which is good

[​IMG]

Pwr sw installed, has a really solid satisfying action/feel to it. Only feasible place it would fit on the front

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  20. OP
    OP
    hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Front mount heat exchanger assemble and install

60mm thick 9FPI rad, this thing cooled my previous rig, overclocked 980ti and 4690k + full mobo cover block with ease with fans at ~900rpm

[​IMG]

Chrome fan grills, zinc coated m4 bolts from bunnings, Enermax TB Vegas fans, i picked those fans up for $14, they seem to be $40-50 each now :Paranoid::confused: So this case is going to have $400 worth of fans :lol:

[​IMG]

Cutting the bolts to correct length cause of rad

[​IMG]

Heat exchanger setup installed, anti-front mount intake rad SJWs are weeping :D

[​IMG]

Cable nightmare, they are definitely going to be hidden away in pipes

[​IMG]

Idea of the space
    [​IMG]

Pretty happy with how its looking so far
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017