Custom loop help

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by {V|PER}, Jul 30, 2018.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Oh you're putting the radiator in the front? Yeah in that case you're probably good, that looks like a 420 Leviathan in front, your fans mount to the outside by the looks of it, so the whole 60mm or whatever you've got at the front there is for your radiator. I'm surprised PCCG told you it wouldn't fit - 15mm is a big margin of error!

2. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Yeah thats it! Guess they are like go smaller and ill feel better about selling it to you.

Thinking I need to do a drain tube in this loop to, havent looked these up much, what do I need exactly to make this a thing?

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Mmm, even Be Quiet!'s own site doesn't make mention of a restriction on thickness for front-mount 420s - only the motherboard clearance restriction for top mounts.

Pick the lowest point and put a T in... Or don't and just undo your lowest fitting over a bucket to drain like the rest of us plebs :p

If you go with a rad with enough ports, you can plumb one of the extras in as a drain out through the floor. Lots of people enjoy the look of the drain as part of the display loop, but I'm not a fan personally.

4. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Probably this :D

5. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Added a EK T connector and a stop plug. I figure that and some left over hose is about all I need, I have about 6 compression fittings ordered and im only doing CPU loop so that should cover it.
    Glad I decided to go water this time, It's kind of excellent being a complete noob at this PC building thing again :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    juzz86 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Ok so about to pull the trigger on,

1x EK Asus Crosshair VII Waterblock
    1x EK XRES 140 Revo pump/res
    1x EK CE 420 Radiator
    6x EK Compression Fittings 13/19mm
    1x EK T Splitter G1/4
    1x EK end plug G1/4
    1x EK ZMT Matte Black Tubing 1/@ID 3/4OD
    1x Silent Wings 140mm
    3x EK right angle fittings

Think I just need to add a fill bottle as recommended earlier. Am I missing anything? Think im up to about $750 at the moment, its all adding up!
    Keep looking back at those EK MLC Phoenix\Predators thinking man that seems a lot cheaper and simpler, but nowhere near as fun.

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Enough fittings there mate? Also, does the res come with enough stop plugs? I always find myself short of those!

The ZMT tubing is awesome - the look and feel is excellent. I'm pretty sure it's rebadged Norprene.

8. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Actually I think you're right, I don't think I have enough compression fittings to do the drain tube if I go down that route, I would need probably another 2x. I better add another stop plug to then!

9. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Ok trigger has been pulled! now the waiting game whilst I put up with this hot and noisy wraith prism cooler :D

I ended up grabbing a 240 mm fan mount for the pump\res in the hope I can just mount that to the radiator as the extra thickness of the radiator will protrude over the cases normal res mount.

Forgot the fill bottle damnit!

10. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

So itl be pretty simple to begin with until I make my mind up on a video card down the track as I dont plan on staying with the 1080 so no point water blocking it.

Something along these lines https://imgur.com/a/iRDgU2C , using the right angles on the last leg return from the res back to the radiator to keep that looking clean and close to the rad.

I like the look of hard tubing but as per the advice from others on here, figured starting with soft would be simpler, and im hoping I just like it and dont end up changing.

11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I second keeping it simple for your first go mate.

In six months you'll look at it and go 'Nah, that pipe shouldn't be there' or 'That angle shits me up the wall' - but initially, you just need it to work and work well.

Not that you'll have any worries with a whole fucking 420 for your CPU, haha :p

Are you going to drop the res return in from the top? Not recommending against it (it looks awesome) but be aware you might have a bit more trouble bleeding bubbles initially - they'll just shoot straight back into the intake initially. The anti-vortexer doesn't do much with bubbles! :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Haha yeah the CPU is going to be pretty happy with a 420 to itself :D
    Will be interesting to see how quickly the GPU fans shit me off and I end up wanting to rip them off.

So I was thinking something along the lines of what Im Late had done with his loop earlier, just keeping the run from pump to rad tight with right angles. So not poking in the top like it looks on my dodgy diagram if that's what you're referring to.

Honestly I'm probably going to get all this and stare at it for hours until I work out what im doing so any advice is welcome to speed that process, I have no idea on where to do runs etc was just going to wing it.

13. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

So is distilled water the general consensus? I didnt purchase any additives or colors etc. Was just expecting I can get distilled water from bunnings.

14. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Ah gotcha - I just went from the diagram. Im_Late has got a beautiful setup - great one to base off.

I try different things each time I re-do the loop. Currently I'm Pump > GPU > CPU > VRM > Rad > Pump - happy enough with temps and more than happy with noise.

If it were my first go and I had ordered what you ordered, I'd probably do exactly as you're doing. Then I'd get sick of the long droopy tubing runs across all that empty space and find a GPU block pronto :p

I grab Demineralised Water from Woolies and combine with either Liquid Utopia, or PHN. A silver kill coil will also work, as will automotive coolant (with the bonus of a colour, too). I try and steer clear of copper-based biocides (Mayhems, PT Nuke) as it will tarnish Copper quicker.