Custom Made E-Trike

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by AussieJester, Jun 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

I plan to construct a custom frame, a trike frame, I am disabled (in-complete paraplegic) thus your standard two wheel bike isn't a possibility, pedals on this build will also be absent (i had originally planned on pedals but on further thought well.... ) I guess you could call this my own custom version of a mobility scooter The trike will be used predominantly for local runs on the bike path/footpath to the shops (approx 1km away) and longer runs to larger shopping center (and local pub hehe) some 3 kms away so the need for huge distance isn't of a big concern at this point. What is is hill climbing ability i live in a VERY hilly area.

I have already purchased a 130amp mig welder ( i was a welder before my accident) and a pipe bender to construct the trike frame. I have a pretty well equipped workshop at my home. This build will be a somewhat lengthy affair, that said i am hoping to have the trike complete (ridable maybe not prepped and painted) within 3 months.

OK...so the frame design was originally planned to look something along these lines-->

[​IMG]

Thus far i have got to this stage of construction-->

[​IMG]

I was after a 'pro/stock' look, a lower seat height is required so as transferring from my wheelchair to the trike isn't a major issue. The frame will be constructed from 33 mm to 25mm diameter (wall thickness~2mm)

Front forks will also be custom made-->

[​IMG]

Using the following plans

Electrics.

I have ordered the following from TNC Scooters

1000W Motor - 48 Volts (Model: MY1020)
    11 Tooth Dual-D-bore Sprocket For #25 Chain
    80 Tooth Sprocket for #25 Chain
    48V Controller (Model LB37) Yi-Yun Brand Controller
    Brake Leaver with Brake Switch
    #25 Chain (70 Links)
    2 Wire Ignition Assembly
    Twist Throttle Cable (Hall Effect)

(and few additional components as spares)

From Cycle US The following will be oredered-->

2 x 20 inch x 4inch wide rims (had planned on steel 20's but they seem to have been removed from the list on the site ;-S (will email and see if they are still available.) along with 2 x tyres and trike hubs

[​IMG]

Front wheel/tyre combo will be of the 24x 3inch variety sourced locally.

Powering the 1000watt motor will be four 12 volt 17aH SLA batteries. down the track i will go with the newer technology but due to cost (im on a disability pension) to get up and running SLA will be used ;-)

I have bought a 26cm rear shocky originally used on the 'Pit Bikes' for the rear of the trike, awaiting delivery on that.

Thats about it for now, hope those who took the time to read this thread found it of interest...shall report back with more shortly...

AJ

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. yoda123

yoda123 Member

This looks like a really fun project, are you sold on the electric motor or would a small petrol one be a possibility ? You can always carry around spare fuel etc, its abit harder with battery's :)

3. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Definitely electric matey ;-) I have plans for 3 windmill generators and solar cells for my garage for my next project this will power my garage/TV/pc etc so charging the trike up will eventually be a no cost affair. PLUS the legal limit for a power assisted bicycle is 200watt there is a company in OZ that sells 2 stroke 49cc motors for bicycles but to be honest the power i get from a 1000watt electric will piss all over it....down the track when i have the $$$ i will 'upgrade' nbatteries to Lipo cells increasing range out to 20km or so...with the SLA batteries i will have a range of around 12-15km appox. Morte than enough for what the trike will be used for...

Cheers for your input :)

AJ

4. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

Dude, that is truely something of credit. Good luck and I'm really keen to see this trike finished.

5. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Thanks mate :) has been fun thus far researching and designing/building Has everything i like doing involved construction wise welding, grinding UGH UGH UGH hehe... I should have also linked Endless Sphere website in initial post, the members on the forum have been fantastic helping a 'noob' out with stupid questions LoL... Anyone with lil interest in popping an electric motor on their pushy should checkout the forum :)

Thanks for your interest anywayz fellas...off to do some work on it now..

AJ

6. Chavez

Chavez Member

I'm also there... look up Albie on the ES Forums.

Yes i do agree... my hub motor is currently doing 1.5kw... which beats a 49cc motor easy. Yes i also beat road cyclists on the road too.

7. Chavez

Chavez Member

should've also mentioned in the earlier post... highly recommend you getting a Doc Wattson from Powerwerx or a Cycle Analyst.

no special connections required... as they go between the controller and the battery. That way you have some sort of digital dashboard which you can monitor to see how much power you have left.

8. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

I actually planned on a watts meter shall have a looksee at the Doc Watson also cheers for the tip... ;-)

9. Glock

Glock Member

Looks pretty cool, alot of work mate. You certainly seem to have the power / build sorted...
    But, I am a little worried about the geometry I'm seeing (not from a strength point of view - I'm no engineer). In particular your headtube being so swept back. I suppose that'll go up a little when you have a rear frame to attach + wheels, but your stem is still mounted... Well, backward basically.

I understand you need the bars to come back a ways, to suit a seated position, but I'd quite strongly suggest you go for more of a 'bendy bar', with a stem that faces forward.

Only other points (most of which I'm sure you've already thought of);
    - You'll need a chain tensioner.
    - Consider building in several mounting points for the shock - it'll let you fine tune without having to break out the welder.
    - Looking at the photo - it seems your bars are going to hit your frame pretty quickly - which will severely limit your turn circle (only really a concern at low speeds though).
    - A front brake (just a linear pull 'v' would be fine) is a good idea, both from a handling and a safety standpoint.
    - I can't really be sure from your (admittedly preliminary) list of parts, but have you planned any kind of differential equivalent in there? Again, you'll definitely want one.

Finally, it's a great idea, and (having seen your modding) I await progress and the eventual results. :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

The stem and bars are there for alignment purposes only neither will be used in finished build, when complete the stem will be attached to the top of the springer forks. Rake and trail measurements have all been taken into consideration ;-)

Cheers for the comments mate ;-)

11. Glock

Glock Member

^ Ahh, good show. :thumbup:

12. Chavez

Chavez Member

they are both the same price from powerwerx.... however the difference betwen the watts meter and the doc wattson is the doc wattson is an more improved version of the watts meter (more accurate).

13. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Apologies for the lack of updates fellas I haven't been too well the last few days, feeling better now and got a little more done to the rear of the frame today.

[​IMG]

I picked up some more tubing today also...yes i have gone through 6 meters already LoL... wont show you the pile of tubing that didnt make it to the frame in pic :-S Shall finish bending the two 'struts' for the rear section tomorrow then fully weld the frame (currently its tacked) I'm tossing up whether to make the swing arm from round or square tubing too...shall sleep on that possibly get a start on it tomorrow also. I have still to pick up bearings for the swing arm 'pivot' joint will do that before the weekend, I'm thinking ~20mm OD 10-12mm ID sealed bearings for the swing arm joint with a high tensile steel bolt through them....more on that at a later date anywayz...

Kim

14. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Have made some more progress on my frame. Positioning the frame to weld all the joins has been somewhat more difficult and time consuming than I had anticipated before embarking on this project, sitting in a wheelchair balancing a frame of this size upside down on my lap whilst trying to weld it is an art in itself i think, I've had to weld left and right handed at times :-S Anywayz I have managed to weld 99% of the front frame to my satisfaction, still some bracing to be done ...all tubing has been profiled to fit flush prior to welding, I then gave the welds some 'love' with a die grinder to pretty them up, i shall smear JB Weld over all welds when i am prepping the frame for paint :)

This morning I managed to finish bending the seat tubing and welding it to the frame this morning, turned out well i thinking. Few happy snaps--->

[​IMG]

that rear swing arm can now finally get underway ;-|

More pics to come soon for those interested :)

Thanks for looking

Kim

15. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

That's awesome mate :thumbup:

Obviously your well and truly past the design stage, but a few thoughts:

- Those 4" wide, 35psi tyres would have a lot more rolling resistance than say a 1.5" wide slick that can be pumped up to ~80psi. Although certianly wouldn't have the same agressive look. Could always have two sets of wheels down the track I guess. One set for 'show'!

- If you stick with 4" wide, 35psi tyres, I don't reckon you'd need suspension, especially on the rear. It will add a fair bit of weight and 'weakspots' to the frame.

Bloody awesome though - I struggle enough to weld well at the best of times, let alone while balancing the frame on your lap! Keep up with updates, and plenty of pictures!

16. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Will definitely have the tyres stated and suspension as per the original design in OP, there will be no 'weakspot' as you suggest, design and attachment is based on motorcycel swingarm, will be over engineered if anything. As i have already stated also speed and distance isn't a concern so tyre choice is also not an issue in regards to increased rolling resistance, looks is MUCH more important anywayz :p I took delivery of the rear shockie yesterday, its made for a pit bike, will see more of that next update as i plan starting work on the swing arm tomorrow.

Cheers for your input :)

...More updates soon.

EDIT:-

quick pic of shockie-->

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  17. Chavez

Chavez Member

I disagree with this, I think its a great idea to have wide tyres on this thing. I've currently got 2.5" on my one and i have to admit, i dunno how i rode around on the bike with a 2.0" wide set of tyres.

With weight involved you definitely need suspension, which is why if you look on the ES forums, ideally an ebike / trike needs to have suspension all around, especially taking bumps and dips at speed, especially with the added weight.

18. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Indeed...even more so with those using the heavier SLA batteries :-( be 25kilos of battery weight alone on the trike PLUS my wheelchair then my 90 kilo self...I'm actually swaying away from the springer front end now in favor of the more standard mountain bike front shock (albeit extended) setup... One of the fellas from ES forums (1000watt top bloke ;-) ) has been by my garage a few times now, next visit hes bring up the springer front end he got from ChoppersRus for his new e-bike build, that will prolly change my mind back again when i see the lovely chromeness of it LoL...

19. bogaurd

bogaurd Member

I saw this bike on another forum I use, dedicated to motorized bikes:

[​IMG]

The owner set it up with an electric motor on the front wheel, with a petrol engine driving the rear wheels. It can be driven on either power mode, or both. When driving on the petrol engine the electric motor recharges the batteries, which I thought was pretty cool.

If you're interested, the tread is here. :)

Edit: Had a bit more of a read over your thread, congratulations on the build, awesome work! Definitley subscribing to this one :)

20. OP
    OP
    AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Looks like a standard Schwinn frame with a trike conversion kit... bit on the small side for me they're a 20in frame, alright if your a lil tacker i guess. I do like the idea of the ICE charging the batteries up, pity he chose the two stroke engine though, little 4 strokes are available for powering bicycles now would be a little less 'smokey' and rang dada dang dada dang dang dang sounding option hehehe...credit though its a neat setup hope mine turns out as 'polished' as his ;-) Will checkout the forum for sure too havent got that one bookmarked...cheers for the info and comments mate :)

EDIT:

Just had a quick read over of the thread it is indeed a Schwinn with the standard trike conversion kit :) [​IMG] I was originally going to buy one of these if only for the axle in them but have decide to fabricate a fully custom heavier duty affair for my trike :) ...

One thing also I havent mentioned i have changed the drive line setup, i had planned on using a shimano 3 speed hub but have now opted to use a 12 speed setup from a mountain bike (~10 more gears than i need... :-S ) more efficient more gears and i couldn't get the damn 3 speed shimano hub fully apart hehehe ;-P