Custom modded modular [and shiny] PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Goth, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

This is [was?] an ePower Lion 450W.

The "Black titanium" chrome finish has unfortunately been scratched quite a bit, it was mostly like that when I got it. It's a real shame, because it's nice. I'll have to try and polish it out.

You see a lot of modular PSUs these days - but none are truly modular, with the ATX connector being modular too. So I wanted to build something that would have the ATX disconnectable, too.

The large external grilled boxes that hold the large heatsinks have been removed, and the large protruding parts of the heatsinks removed, and the holes covered with two panels of dark blue perspex, one of which has the power connectors mounted on it, and one of which has the rear fan mounted on it. Usually a fan can be fitted in the front, but with the new wiring this hasn't been possible, so an externally mounted 60mm blue LED fan has been used.

At the moment I haven't even powered this up, and temps are quite warm but reasonable owing to the very generous heatsinks, good quality construction and internal components along with the generous ventilation in the casing.

In future i'll install a FET and temperature sensor in the PSU, with a control signal for the FET driving the fan bought outside the PSU (along with the temperature signal) such that external electronics can control it. I've also got a suprise up my sleeve for some electronics in it too.

The main internal fuse has been replaced with a nice heavy copper wire link, and an external fuseholder fitted to hold the mains fuse, making it easy if fuse replacement is needed. The mains filter circuit was also replaced with a new enclosed mains filter module. A mains switch was also added where there wasn't one before, and the voltage selector removed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dorz

Dorz Member

nice work!!

how did you make the ATX cable modular? is it just split into bunches of 4 and connected with the 4 pin round connectors?

3. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

The 24 pin cable has two 8-pin connectors, two 4-pin connectors, and a 5 pin connector.

The Molex, PCIe and P4 connectors all use 4-pin plugs - two of them, in the case of the PCIe connector.

At the moment there are no SATA connectors with the 3.3v rail connected - i'll need to find some way around this in future.

The point is that all the 4 pin plugs are interchangeable and have an identical pinout, and so forth. So you just plug everything into any matching socket and it works.

4. skid

skid Member

That is pretty cool. I can think of a few improvements to my PSU as well but am not game enough to muck around with it.

5. NotoriousTetris

NotoriousTetris Member

Awesome job Goth.
    Just wondering, what kind of modular connection did you use? It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures. Must have been really hard, good work.

NotoriousTetris

6. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

good to see some more physical work coming from you Goth.
    no thoughts of watercooling it?

7. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Not watercooling this one, because it's got massive, well designed, air-cooled heatsinks that can run fanless anyway.

I'll be watercooling another Antec one, when I get around to it.

8. slamaa

slamaa Member

What ever happened to that purple PSU you where water cooling? nice work on this PSU anyway, is it just me or is it all scratched up?

9. hobo man

hobo man Member

Any Chance of a guide on how you did it?

10. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Not really i'm afraid, I didn't keep a photo log.

But here's another construction pic i found.

[​IMG]

There'll be a new watercooled PSU project in future... this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Casing is 5mm clear acrylic. It probably won't have the fan - maybe just LEDs instead, and passive airflow through the grill of holes.

11. Payload

Payload Member

nice job.. though you might want to upgrade that cable tie on the water hose to a hose clamp. Looks a little dodgey.

12. Suki

Suki Member

Very neatly done!
    It's always bugged me that they're not all modular. In principle I'd prefer to not have an extra connection but it's so much easier when routing if both ends are free.

13. dmandn

dmandn Member

The ocz evostream is completely modular, i know because i have one. 720w of goodness and every cable detachable. Also thay use the same connection at the psu end for each cable as is used at the other end for 'convenience'.