Custom office chair/desk combo for gaming.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Elroc, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Elroc

Elroc Member

Hi guys, I have posted this in a couple of other forums so I apologise in advance if you have seen it before.

I built this from an old exercycle, an office chair, and some steel I scored from work.

I wanted something that was custom made to suit me, so I mounted a chair to the old exercycle frame and built a desk around myself. I used the desk in its previous incarnation for a year and it worked fine but there was a lot of tidying up to be done, so when we shifted to a nicer house I decided to upgrade the desk so I didn't feel so bad keeping it in the lounge.

[​IMG]

The footrest comes up at the same time as the desk comes down, the springs underneath are to help with the weight of the desk. I still need to find some slightly stronger springs that are in between the current springs in the picture and the garage door springs that I used previously. I am considering changing to hydraulic rams (like on a hatchback car) rather than springs but I need to find someone to advise me on that yet.

[​IMG]

Here it is in the open position

[​IMG]

The keyboard is held on by magnets I have glued to the bottom and there is a metal plate on the desk to hold it in position, that way I can still move it around for comfort. The mousepad is glued to the plate. The current desktop is painted plywood but I am replacing it with a polished wood desktop that I will make at the same time as the new side table. The side table will be a PC case as well as having a place for my mouse cradle, USB hub, volume controls, iPhone dock and a place for my coffee. I will do another post about it when it is finished as I have only just started on the design.

The original desk was modified several times before I found a shape I liked that worked well, I will link the videos I made at the end of this post so you can see how it all began. After I got it all working I used it for just over a year and had no problems whatsoever with it other than the noise of the garage door springs when I opened and closed it and the fact that they were a bit strong. I designed it so that I could adjust the springs at both ends as you can probably see in the photos.

I added handles to hold the weight of the desk when it is in the closed position, this was so that it was easier to pull down and also so I had some slight adjustment in height. Please excuse the mousepad, I knew it was being replaced so I used a crappy one in case it was destroyed when removing it from the metal plate.

[​IMG]

When we shifted house I decided to upgrade everything and in our previous house the chair had warped the floorboards out of shape from its weight so I decided to lighten it as much as my budget would alow me to. I realise that I could have gone to lighter steel or even wood to replace some parts but this steel was free and to this day the whole thing has only cost me about $300 - $500 if you dont count the tools I bought. My solution to the weight problem was to remove any parts that were no longer needed and put holes in what was left. I am not really sure how much weight I have saved but it is a lot easier to move around now.

After the modifications I wire brushed it, sanded it, wiped it down with turps and painted it in a rust protecting matte black. I may change the colour one day but black works for now, I want to do it in metallic purple and white if I ever upgrade it again.

When the paint had dried it was just a case of assembly and testing....lots of testing using the skyrim testing system.

Things I need to complete:

* Side table as mentioned above
    * New desk top
    * I still need to redo the footrest, The sponge inside it is cut really badly as we just used a knife instead of a hot-wire to cut it
    * I want to strip the wood on the seat down so I can match it to the new desk top and the side table when they are finished
    * Slightly bigger springs

More pictures here http://imgur.com/a/dMwCO (there is even a kitty)

The evolution of the chair (10 videos) is at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4BF16ECBAF8F4F6

Please feel free to ask any questions :)

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    Elroc

Elroc Member

Um, sorry the pics have come out really big for some reason and I cant find the edit button :(

Edit: Found it!

3. milkguru

milkguru Member

this is pretty cool. i kinda want one, looks comfy

great job:thumbup:

4. robnkel

robnkel Member

Crikey your mad!!
    "number one you have the helm"

5. Pugs

Pugs Member

+100 for the chair set up.. - 1,000,000,000 for the Sony speaker system

6. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

epic chair is epic :thumbup:

7. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

wow, thats awesome, could really enjoy working from home in that if i could stop falling asleep lol

great design gutting an old exersiser must have saved you a bit of coin

8. OP
    OP
    Elroc

Elroc Member

It is very comfy, I used to get back pain from extended times in front of the PC but I only get that pain when I am at work now. I should talk my boss into letting me build another one for work :)

9. Tortured-x

Tortured-x Member

lmfao this chair makes me think of the total recall ones for some reason

love it, although i would be worried about the monitor when it's raised

10. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

the

iLazyboy :p

11. OP
    OP
    Elroc

Elroc Member

Monitor is bolted to the steel framework, it's not going anywhere :)

12. HrdwrBoB

HrdwrBoB Member

That setup is very cool! Ever thought of going eyefinity? I think it'd be AWESOME with that setup.

Possibly also an (optional) mount for pedals and gearchange so you can play the hell out of some racing sims.

Also, surround sound, shouldn't be too hard to add I would think

13. Tortured-x

Tortured-x Member

yeh pedals would be awsome, as for eyefinity could mount the speakers on either side of the headrest and go all 3x

am i the only one that'd be almost willing to pay to get one of these built?

14. HrdwrBoB

HrdwrBoB Member

The cost of this if you got it professionally made (and tested etc) would be prohibitive :(

15. Tortured-x

Tortured-x Member

and there's the downside.

still would be worth it for a comfy gaming area :lol:

16. OP
    OP
    Elroc

Elroc Member

I have the surround system ready to go, I just need to get the rear speaker stands in place, I am concentrating on my side table/computer case right now though so I haven't bothered finishing yet.

You are not the first person to mention the footpedal thing (awesome idea BTW), I am already working out how to make the footrest quick release and make a custom footpedal holder for racing or flight sims.

When I redo the footrest with the hotwire I will have a go at making a quick release system.

I will keep you posted :)

Edit: This is (roughly) what I am making for the side table with the PC enclosure
    [​IMG]

17. the bum

the bum Member

WIN :D:D FGHSDFHDFH

18. brayway

brayway Member

Full of epic win:leet:

19. flain

flain Member

looks awesome but the fact you have a pedestal fan in the pics tells me that either:

1. You have no air conditioning
    OR
    2. You like to use it for extra immersion effect during driving games

i hope its point number 2

20. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

You win, everyone else is defeated.. the mayans were right, the world is going to end now. There's nothing left for the human race to achieve.