Custom PSU cable makers?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kennui, May 1, 2019.

1. Kennui

Kennui Member

Looking to have some custom PSU cables made for an ITX build. Who are the different cable makers around (australia)?

The only aussie I know of is singularity, but I don't want to pay $170 aud for a single 24pin cable. I do know there's a bunch of individuals doing cables but they come and go it seems. Searches on fb groups don't yield any results really.

The other options are going to overseas places like cablemod or moddiy. Or learning how to do them myself, but I don't want to go through that at this stage because of the time investment.

2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

maybe some fellow modders will offer to help you out:)

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

On this subject, another question I hope someone can help with.

If I were to want to make custom cables, without having to butcher my factory cables, where would I buy blank connectors from? My google-fu is failing miserably. I want the actual male plugs for a Corsair HX1000i (Corsair Type 3) to create some longer (24pin ATX, 8pin EPS,) some shorter cables (8pin + 6pin GPU) to suit, but I don't want to cut and splice my factory cables up to achieve this.

I know I can buy a set of cables for ~$130 but that's just ridiculous, and they will all be either long or short, not a mix. I don't even need them to be pretty, just the right length, so making my own is the obvious solution, IF I can find some connectors.

4. OP
    OP
    Kennui

Kennui Member

I've been looking at the moddiy store. They have a lot of random parts.

I think I might be able to make do in this build. All I needed was a very short 10-15cm 24pin and a particularly spaced SATA power cable. Kinda like the one below but with all 3 connectors together.

Once I figure out the exact storage config I might hit up moddiy for a custom cable.

[​IMG]

Ensourced is another custom cable maker, they sell connectors and parts too.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'll check out those suppliers, I was aware of moddify and cablemod of course but I hadn't seen any actual (PSU specific) connectors on their sites, just cable sets. I'll look harder :lol:

Regarding the sata connectors though..

I can't find the images, because photobucket.. :thumbdn: but I once made a close spaced multi drive power 'backplane' of sorts for 4x 2.5" drives by cutting a few sata power connectors from an old cable and soldering them in series to a Jaycar PCB like THIS ONE.

I cut the PCB to the desired size (oriented to allow the copper on the PCB to become common 'rails' for each of the supply wires) and using the wire legs from a few resistors I attached the connectors solidly to the resized PCB with epoxy. I only cut the PCB sufficiently wide to attach the power connectors, so that the data connectors on the drives would remain exposed.

First I made two aluminium plates cut to size to attach on either side of the drives, and drilled holes in the right places to simply screw the drives into the plates, making a rigid block of drives (I spaced them 7mm apart for cooling) from which any of the drives could be simply detached from the block by unscrewing them from the side plates and unplugging them as normal.

I then simply jammed the legs from some resistors into the pins from some sata power connectors I cut from an old multiple connector sata power cable (after cutting the wires off from the back of the connectors), then attached the connectors to the drives. Then I placed the entire assembly against the PCB with the legs through the holes in the back of the PCB, to ensure perfect alignment, and epoxied the connectors to the back of the PCB.

Once the epoxy was dry, I unplugged the PCB/sata connector assembly from the block of drives and soldered the legs through each hole on the other side of the PCB, and soldered the wires of a molex power cable to the corresponding 'rails'.

This gave me a perfect power connector for 4 drives, with a single molex connector on a cable hanging off the end of the PCB, for connection to the PSU. Note that in this step, I kept both of the (black) ground wires on the molex, and the (red) 5v wire, and removed the yellow and orange (12v and 3.3v respectively) wires. You only want the 5v wire and ground, even one of the the grounds could have been removed as well but I left both of them there.

After cutting the excess away from the pins, I coated all surfaces of the PCB with black epoxy to protect against shorts.

I used normal individual sata data cables for each drive, making a data backplane is way out of my league. The end result was a very tidy block of 4 easily removable drives with a single molex power cable and 4 data cables.

I used molex because male sata power connectors look like crap IMHO and I have no idea if an individual sata connector is capable of handling enough power for 4 drives. I can't see why not, but I wasn't sure so I went with molex as I know they can handle it.

I could just have easily used a PSU cable rather than a molex to connect the 'backplane' directly to the PSU for an even neater design, but from memory my PSU was not modular and I wasn't willing to cut cables directly from the PSU for what was at the time an experiment (a successful one as it turned out).

I might see if I can render an image to make this description clearer, if you are interested, or even might be interested in actually making another if you like. I've been considering making one for my current build anyway.

Hardly a custom cable set, but in the case of just the drives, its a very neat solution. Of course it could be made to suit any number of drives, mine was made for 4 drives.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Kennui

Kennui Member

Yeah I think I get what you're saying. Like a 'manually' made drive backplane. PCBs are very cheap to manufacture these days but that would be a bit overkill for this build.

I noticed last night that there are drive holes on the bottom to mount drives vertically (sitting on it's side).

So if I mount this way, i'll need 90° sideways sata cables. Orico and silverstone both have 'ultra slim' cables like this but both connectors are sideways (I need one to be straight).

Oh yeah here's the build in question. Haven't finished it so no threads about it anywhere yet.

[​IMG]

The drives will be in the bottom left corner of the pic. Mobo cable has since been pushed up to give just enough space for 3 SSDs.