Custom Sleeved Cable Service in Aus?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by neopheX, Mar 15, 2019.

1. neopheX

neopheX Member

As the title says.

Wondering if anyone in Australia has a business in doing custom cables with MDPC Sleeving or the like? Want to get some custom cables made down the track and only found some places in the US who do it but not keen on the exuberant shipping costs involed

2. fanpeople

fanpeople Member

Singularity Computers, their website says they are not taking any new orders for a month.

https://www.singularitycomputers.com/product-category/custom-cable-builder/

They are pretty expensive though, probably outweigh the shipping savings. At the same time it is good to support local businesses.

Have you considered buying parts/crimper and doing them yourself. I did a full set of custom cables in about 2 days, I had never done them before and they came out pretty good.

vladtepes likes this.
  3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

vladtepes likes this.
  4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

$170 for a custom 24Pin ATX Cable is pretty brutal. Its custom and labor is expensive but damn.

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's probably easier here to buy one of the pre-made kits from pccg and then the PSU to go with it.

6. riccoo

riccoo Member

well depends how i go this week, i maybe able to do some for you guys? i am doing mine in paracord this weekend, but i might get some MDPC Sleeving in and try doing some as well ill keep you posted.

also you talking complete custom made or unpin you cable and sleeve it and re pin?

7. riccoo

riccoo Member

anyone point me in direction of atx connectors for sale in aus?

8. fanpeople

fanpeople Member

9. riccoo

riccoo Member

10. fanpeople

fanpeople Member

I originally got pin outs for my Seasonic PSU off google. I ended up reading something that said it is better to just get a multi meter and use the continuity test to map it out yourself. I just drew two boxes and used the clip as a reference point, started in the top left and worked through all the pins. I just used numbers in the box to mark the cable location This way you know for sure that the pin locations are correct. The other thing to remember is that the ATX plug may have a few pins with double connections.

Oh and then check the pin locations once you have completed the cable, just to be sure.

11. riccoo

riccoo Member

yer if i do it for others i might just do send me your cable and ill sleeve rather then a custom made cable

12. riccoo

riccoo Member

some info for sleeving

Common question: Which Sleeve size do I need?

MDPC-X Sleeve reaches its density maximum and typical look at the low-end and upper-end of its expansion range. At mid-range the weave opens slightly and evenly, which results in very appealing looks as well.

• SMALL Sleeve covers a diameter range from ~1.7mm to ~7.8mm, on short distances you can get it over objects of ~8.0mm in diameter.
    • USB Sleeve covers a diameter range from ~4.0mm to ~13.0mm, on short distances you can get it over objects of ~13.5mm in diameter.
    • MEDIUM Sleeve covers a diameter range from ~5.0mm to ~14.5mm, on short distances you can get it over objects of ~15.0mm in diameter.
    Common question: How much Sleeve do I need?
    If you want to sleeve multiple cables or wires, just count them and measure their lengths: Number of wires * Length of wires + 20% is the safe MDPC-X recommendation, so you always have a little bit of overhead. Remember that the more a cable sleeve is expanded on a wire, the shorter it gets in terms of length. In the rare case you want to put a small sleeve in almost totally overexpanded state onto a big wire, you better take twice the amount in length of what you would regularly need.

Common question: How much heatshrink do I need?
    If you are going to use heatshrink you usually need 1.5cm of heatshrink or slightly less on both ends of a sleeve, no matter if you are going to use it regularly or using the “melting“ shrinkless method. The calculation formula: Number of wires * 2 * 1.5cm + 20% = enough heatshrink for your project. Please do not try unprofessional techniques like crimping sleeve onto a wire, because it will degrade the stability of the crimp connection, which can result in serious electrical damage.

I have been building custom systems now for many years. The one thing I have always focused on more than anything is perfecting the quality of my builds. Something that comes across in my builds which many people notice is that I tend to every little detail. I feel the same way about the products I have on my store. I am very proud of what we have achieved, the products that we have available. Not only are you getting a great product but you

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wtf!?? That's ridiculous. You would just get them elsewhere for much much less.

14. riccoo

riccoo Member

ok i just got some gear to work on custom cabling, will keep you posted found a place in Aus that sells the parts cheap enough and i will make some up this weekend and let you all know how it goes