Cutting fan holes *cheaply*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by starkers92, Apr 11, 2013.

1. starkers92

starkers92 Member

So I want to add some extra fans - But basically I dont want to purchase a bimetal 3" and 3.5" hole saw..May as well just buy a new case if I'm going to spend that much.

TLDR; Need to cut a fan hole (without too much hassle). Have some small wood hole saws, but want to avoid that..

2. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

Go ghetto mods style and use a grinder and drill. Tin snips can also be used if applicable.

3. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

The correct tool to use is a JIGSAW, not a dremel.

You can pick one up for about $20 at Bunnings. Make sure to get the finest tooth blade that you can find.

4. bennyg

bennyg Member

If you want to do it cheaply you don't use a dremel, the ozito clone I got for 30 bucks a couple of years ago is still working fine

Bits can be found online for a crapload cheaper than bunnings/dremel too.

If you want to do it super cheaply I'd just grab a metal hacksaw blade and wrap a old towel or facewasher around it as a grip. The only issue then is getting the cut started, if you get an old screwdriver and grind its point sharp you should be able to knock a cleanish hole to stick the blade in

That's what I'd try first anyway, power tools will do it quicker and cleaner though but I would take everything out of the case first before beating on it with a hammer or sending sparks everywhere

5. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

6. Zultanna

Zultanna (Banned or Deleted)

If its for 120mm fan holes, just get a 100mm steel hole saw, attaches to your cordless drill etc and is almost the perfect size opening.

Far neater then a dremel or jigsaw.

7. paulbagz

paulbagz Member

I use a laser cutter :leet:

-PB

8. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Not really helpful is it?

Another option is a nibbler

9. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

I used a nibbler on my last case mod about 6 months ago. The little crescent shaped "nibblets" are razor sharp, and they fly everywhere. My kid complained of one stuck into his foot in the kitchen just last week!

Nibbler works great, but wow those offcuts are deadly. :shock:

10. paulbagz

paulbagz Member

:thumbup:

-PB

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

crappy nibbler? the edges of cuts on mine don't even need filing!

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Good nibbler - the case cutout was awesome.

But on the floor are literally thousands of small "nibbles", each like a little smile shaped cresent. The very ends of those are an incredibly sharp point, which embeds into shoes and feet.

EXAMPLE: http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/featurepics/110292.jpg

I did the work outside, then swept and swept and vacuumed, but we are still finding them all through the house. These are only noticed when walking barefoot, of course. :lol:

13. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

Yep, the off-cuts from the Nibbler are AWFUL! Even a small lunch of "nibbling" will create craploads of little razors.

14. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

The key here is that you forgot it is much better to just grab an old speaker magnet and place it on a steel rod+plate. That way you just walk around swinging it and all those small bits of metal get picked up easily ;).

On the topic of what to use to cut I say a jigsaw, then just a nice medium file to clean it up :thumbup:.

15. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

What I forgot wasn't the magnet, it was the 3000 or so that were embedded in the soles of my steel cap boots. Because, of course, I had to walk through the house to the bathroom to wash my hands :upset:

Agreed - I always laugh at the noobs who try to use a Dremel to do this kind of work. Those mini angle-grinders certainly do have it's place, but not for cutting large holes neatly and accurately.

16. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Well take off your boots then! :D

100% with you there. The thing is you often see people fiddle around with a dremel for 30+min just to cut something such as a piece of angle iron or some plexiglass. When normal, non-stupid land we would just use a hacksaw to cut it :confused:

And again not saying it does not have a place, but there are definitely many other ways to do something other than to 'use a dremel'.

17. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

She said it FAR less politely.

There is a modding thread somewhere here where the OP used a dremel to shorten a whole bunch of 4mm bolts. Made a right mess of them too.

Probably the saddest ones are the people who try to cut a case window opening with a Dremel. That must take hours, then many more hours grinding the edges to straighten them!

They are noisy and SLOW little toys. Great for getting into tight spots, but not really something to be used for serious work. Well, not if you have the proper tools for the job.

18. roomandu

roomandu Member

+1 for jigsaw with the correct blade. :thumbup: :D

19. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

I'm pretty lazy and the hole saw's tend to make light work of the job just get a size that has enough to let good air in and and chuck the fan onto the case and line up a small drill bit and drill away into the mounting holes making sure its straight then screw the thing on :)

20. roomandu

roomandu Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MercyFlush View Post
    Well take off your boots then!

She said it FAR less politely.

HAHAHAHA yup sooo know THIS scenario lmao