Cutting the streaming cord...

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Nov 4, 2020.

1. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I know what you mean... but that is also a recipe for lack of diversity too.

JSmith

2. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

They should have built a platform together and then split share of revenue based off "watches". That would have incentivised quality shows to be made

the_fuzz and Arctic_Silver08 like this.
  3. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Reminds me a bit of what Foxtel was and (is).. One stop shop but if you want to watch certain shows, you had to sign up for those channels.

People are too lazy to switch providers and the streaming services know that... I remembered having to hunt around for the cancel sub button on one service lol.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think you severely do not understand the situation and for some reason think Netflix is your friend.

Netflix Streaming was started for pure profit, they don't care about the consumer just like every other company.

Companies before Netflix were enjoying huge profits via TV/DVD etc. When Netflix came along, they thought, sure! some extra profit that won't effect our bottom line, then it exploded and they started losing money.

Companies moved to streaming because customers were very slowly leaving TV/Cable/DVD services.

All of these companies had their own services to begin with, why exactly do you think they should all of a sudden give all that up and let daddy Netflix manage their entire business? They might as well sell the company to them too.

Your logic is so bad I'm not even sure how to make you understand.

If I decided to make a global shoe outlet that sold all the shoes in the world, and forced everyone to only sell shoes through my shop, why would anyone do that? Especially when I would be selling my own generic brand of shoes using ideas of the shoes I'm selling for 3rd party companies.

I can then also penalise/mess with any company I want and basically dictate how much money they make, and I can slowly crush their company because they are forced to use my shoe shop, once they lose enough profits I can buy them out.

yes its a bad example but its what I can come up with in a short period of time and I hope it helps you understand that any company allowing Netflix to display their shows is a really stupid idea.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...netflix
    stan
    amazon prime
    disney.

:Paranoid:
    spose it adds up. but i don't go anywhere.
    always been a junkie for flix.
    vhs, dvd's, plus rentals, then dodgy dload sites....
    ..and now just streams.

i probly need another one at least :p they can be cancelled and reactivated easily enough. too easy.

6. power

power Member

people seem to forget quite quickly how shit cable was.

that said numerous companies trying to bleed you $15.99 a month each aren't helping and we're almost back to square one.

clonex likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The idea was to have everything on 1 streaming platform when Netflix took off. Eventually everyone figured they can increase profits more and cut out Netflix commission by launching their own platform, pulling their content and making it exclusive to them. We are back to square 1 again.

8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I don't... cable was meant to bring us hundreds of channels and no ad's. Instead we got a limited channel selection and paid to watch ad's.
    Yeah tend to agree.

Of course there is a central "place" where TV shows from all platforms are available... :cool:

JSmith

fredhoon, the_fuzz and bart5986 like this.
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Exactly, but I think "increase profits" is an understatement because once the streaming platform is up and running, Netflix profits would be minuscule in comparison.

Its important to remember that Netflix only pays a lot for very specific shows because they have not yet made their own generic show of that format.

Even in a magic world where Netflix didn't make TV Shows, they would just be playing one company against another for the fight to the bottom where everyone loses but Netflix.

This would just incentivise whatever gets views, not a good quality TV show, see reality TV, Youtube etc.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They are gradually creeping up those prices too, which is what was predicted from the outset.

bart5986 likes this.
  11. Luno

Luno Member

Been buying things from amazon a lot so got prime. It’s paid for itself with free shipping and then some plus get prime streaming and after first checking it out the other night pretty impressed with the latest movies they have. Much better than Netflix

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

That is true also, I think it started with cutting out 3rd part commissions then it ended up where we are now by exploiting IP to the point of being able to charge whatever we want for our exclusive content.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

We have Spotify + Netflix + Amazon = $1.15 a day and covers the whole family for a LOT of content.
    Local/downloading for specific or zero day stuff, but much of the benefit from the streamers is suggestions or browsing content new or old, to have it all locally would be ridiculous.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is streaming company 101.

Create gigantic backlog of shows, increase prices constantly because you fit so many niches that everyone feels forced to buy your streaming service.

This is why Disney is about to hit streaming services with a sledgehammer, they haven't even added their Adult TV/Shows Movies from all the companies they own and they are already hurting their competitors. Its called "Star" and coming soon.

I think eventually its going to be Disney + Which streaming service will you buy this month?

Depends on the size of your hard drive :lol:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

*Stares at 80TB server... :Paranoid:

16. Jaff

Jaff Member

Yeah we've been telling the in-laws to ditch Foxtel cause of how ridiculously expensive it is, and then when we worked through the shows they would want to watch in addition to sports (Kayo) it worked out saving them only $10-$15 a month, plus then the cost of either upgrading them to a smart TV or getting them a media streaming box. We are pretty much back at square one in terms of how much is paid for streaming content versus Foxtel.

We have Netflix, Stan, and Apple Music (Family). We did also have Kayo but I have since cancelled it as I just wasn't watching much on there, and what I was interested in I didn't have time to watch. TBH we could probably ditch Stan but every time we go to do it a new series will pop up that will pique our interest and it then takes us a few months to actually get around to watch it. And then the cycle starts again.

17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I understand perfectly fine. I never said Netflix was my friend, and you seem to be basing your entire rant on that. I get the feeling that one of us doesn't understand, maybe you should re-read my post and work out which one of us it is.
    I didn't say they did care. Not sure why you are inferring that I did say that. Not many companies decide to go into business to lose money. I said, "They tried to bring all the TV and movies into one place so we could benefit and they could make royalties." Maybe I should have phrased that better so you could understand. I'll try again. They tried to bring all the TV and movies into one place so they could get royalties from people using their service, which would benefit us as consumers because 'all in one place'. That easier to understand for you?
    You are conveniently forgetting that consumers had been crying out for a way to see content in the one place for a long time before Netflix came about. Pirates had been saying for ages that if there was a way to get the content easily and legally and cheaply, they would do it. Yet the Companies who make the content were happy to keep on with the ancient model of broadcasting with advert dollars, and charging for each successive upgrade of media to put their content on. VHS/DVD etc. It exploded because Netflix had heard that call and realised there was a market there that wasn't being filled. Hence my quote above that you didn't get.
    Companies moved because they finally got it through their thick heads bottom line that Netflix was giving the customer the model that they wanted. The problem now is all the companies have thought "we need our own service so we keep our profits in house", which as I said has now stuffed the Netflix 'all in one' model which is what consumers wanted and got us back to every man and his dog having a different service to see their content on.
    Not what I said at all, stop projecting what you have in your head and pretending that is what I am thinking. I am saying that the Companies were slow on the uptake and only recently realised that there was money to be made in streaming. They are doing the only thing that makes sense in their corporate world. That doesn't mean it's good for us consumers though, hence this thread.
    Get off your soap box, ya muppet. If you can't get your point across without being condescending then maybe the internet isn't for you.

18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yes Netflix gave everything the customer wanted, equal access to content around the world, fair prices and tons of content in 1 place...

Then they split all the content across many platforms, increased total prices, setup pay walls and restricted content based on regions.

The end result is a return to what we had before except its on the internet this time which means we have to pay for data and internet access just to access the same content we traditionally had via cable etc.

Things are worse than it was before except for making it easier to rip content which is great :lol:

19. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

House of 4 adults. I have Youtube Premium for myself because it was carry over from Play Music, plus Netflix. I watch a metric shit tonne of YouTube on my TV so the Youtube sub has value for me. Another party in the house pays for Disney+.

Alternative sources are sorted when needed.

Luno likes this.
  20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Companies being companies I guess. It was good for a while, then turned to shit. I doubt I'd be able to name many companies that haven't.