Cyberpunk 2077 - Witcher 2 devs

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, May 30, 2012.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's gonna take a LOT of work for this to make it to the legendary status of tw3 or skyrim and still have an active player base and community in 5-10 years.

I don't think that's on the cards for this game, personally. The game is already dying out of the meme cycle so unless the DLC's are either REALLY bad or REALLY good cp2077 is on track to be completely forgotten

JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Interesting to note, steamcharts has the concurrent user count record high for TW3 at only 103,329, and indeed it saw a sharp drop off in the months following the release (along with surges during sales and this year likely due to lockdowns and new interest in gaming). In that regard, Cyberpunk would have to be considered to be doing very well to have an all time high over over 1million and 225,000 currently.

I don't think a drop off is unusual in early adopters of the game after they finish the campaign and move on to other titles. I am sure some will return in time with new patches and dlc, others will not. It is interesting to me the tone and language spin publications are using when talking about this game after its rocky launch.

the_fuzz, BuD and JSmithDTV like this.
  3. power

power Member

SP games always get sharp drop offs in numbers (especially concurrent players). MP games are the only ones where these figures really count.

more news that's not news. media are absolutely loving the amount of views cyberpunk stories have had before and after launch, expect your favourite youtuber to be chasing views with this "story" as well.

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

True... I just want to know how to come down off a roof like this, looks fun;

[​IMG]

JSmith

macktheknife and mesaoz like this.
  5. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

There was a critic review of the truly abysmal "The Watch" adaptation that referred to it as cyberpunk for the clicks.

6. kogi

kogi Member

The middle % in the char screen is how much Johnny likes you. I think you need 50% to unlock the mission to get his gun and car

Also 1 of the 3 main endings also needs a johnny percentatge

7. power

power Member

ah ok, i forgot that - his car is SO worth it. Best car in the game IMO.

8. PureFire

PureFire Member

If you want to do the secret ending you have to select the right response when you carve a message on Johnny's grave. If you select something different, no matter what you do later in the story it wont be available to you.

DangerMaus likes this.
  9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I think it's actually 2 of 5. Although one of them is a hidden option.

10. lithos

lithos Member

Which goes to show how fundamentally fucking poorly-designed this game is: hardly anywhere else in the game is it shown that any of your responses to anything actually matter. Mostly it's just FO4-style dialogue.

11. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It often goes out of the way telling you that your choices don't matter. I think there are at least a half dozen main missions with a dialogue option along the lines of "I guess I have no choice then".

12. KriiV

KriiV Member

Yeah this happens ALL THE TIME. Literally pick a line once I think about the ramifications, only to be taken down a few more responses and sent back to the menu I was at previously. Just forced to pick the "correct" option that takes us further down the tram tracks the game has us on.

It's fun, story-wise, but there is an illusion of choice.

13. lithos

lithos Member

Can't believe I'm defending FO4's dialogue, but at least Bethesda tried to hide it by having the dialogue "options" at least somewhat fit what your character actually said, so you were at least kinda fooled into thinking you made a choice (until you got the Full Dialogue mod).

There's a situation in the CP where you are offered the (non-)choice of telling an NPC to stay, or to come with you.

In CP, you can tell them to stay, and you get a whole mini convo specific to you telling them to stay, but in the end the NPC just tells you "Nuh-uh. I'm coming with you, don't care what you want."

CDPR recorded a whole bunch of extra lines (twice, for both genders) just to have the same outcome, which is kinda emblematic of the game's whole development process: shitloads of money and effort thrown at completely the wrong things.

In FO4, you'd have the options "Stay here" or "Come with me", and you'd just get the same response, but it'd be tailored to at least fit both those options, like, say:

Player: "Well, if things are OK here I'd like you to come with me. If not, better stay here."

NPC: "Yeah, these guys should be right on their own for a few hours. I'll come"

That little conversation works for whatever dialogue choice you chose, or at least it's not blatantly obvious there's really no choice. CP likes to boast about how much money it could piss away on the dialogue options for no gameplay benefits.

Yeah...except for that one convo with Johnny where you have to pick not just the right lines, but six or so of the right lines during a conversation that's shown to be absolutely no different to any of the others if you want to qualify for the secret ending. It's stupid, and I'm pretty sure it's an afterthought to link that random conversation to the secret ending (because they realised they had no other way to trigger it).

Most expensive game ever made, people.

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I think RDR2 would have cost more and SC obviously doesn't count.

15. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I think GTAV was up there.

Star Citizen though, has a development budget of infinity :lol:

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

GTA5 was apparently around 260-270million including advertising. RDR2 had more than twice the number of developers and took twice as long to make.

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

The GTAV thing is probably cumulative since its been continually developed for so long being the cash cow and all.

18. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

GTA 5 was easily the most expensive game to make of all time at release and the ongoing cost of development is going to keep it in #1 spot for a very long time. Star Citizen will probably end up in second place and if it turns into the next big MMO then it might eventually break GTA 5 if it releases this decade and remains open for the foreseeable future.

The Star Wars MMO, World of Warcraft are the likely other games in the top 5 if you consider ongoing development costs. 5th place might be CS GO or LOL or DOTA 2 or some other MMO I can't think of at the moment (EVE?) or maybe RDR 2.

19. PureFire

PureFire Member

CDPR spent $200m, or something in that ballpark, on marketing alone for Cyberpunk which in my opinion was unnecessary. From the very first trailer I was sold and was definitely going to buy it.

20. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

it worked on all the young guys 20-25 at my work. none of them even knew what the game was. just bought into the hype